Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

There.... Are the remains of eleven temples!!

www.youtube.com/v/n-uc4uCc7jQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Well now this was probably a fatal mistake. The Mayans of course have identified 2012 as the the time to expect the end of the world. Opening up this entrance to the underworld...what is wrong with those people? Haven't they seen the movies? Such portals, when disturbed by the hubris of humans, always wind up releasing some sort of Satanic power into the world and havoc follows.

This could be the very thing which starts the ball rolling on a pattern of calamity and destruction resulting in ......

KABOOM!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Well now this was probably a fatal mistake. The Mayans of course have identified 2012 as the the time to expect the end of the world. Opening up this entrance to the underworld...what is wrong with those people? Haven't they seen the movies? Such portals, when disturbed by the hubris of humans, always wind up releasing some sort of Satanic power into the world and havoc follows.

This could be the very thing which starts the ball rolling on a pattern of calamity and destruction resulting in ......

KABOOM!

Oh, come on. You know the Mayan calendar probably quit right there because some Spaniard's showed up and executed the calendar maker for blasphemy.

Nobody else was willing to continue it.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM

97 posts, read 180,299 times
I have a friend who works as an archeologist in Mexico. He told me once (many years ago) that the mayan and Aztex calendars are based on a different number system with different start dates. doesn't this mean that 2012 while a relatively good movie is off by years so our 2012 wouldn't be
their 2012. Does any one who is a professional in this field care to comment? Post scriptum I don't think that a movie is a
very good basis for a belief or any part of reality

Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,740 times
The person/s responsible for that Mayan calendar probly died, which is why it stopped at 2012? <g>.

As for the world exploding, I am of the opinion that all these holes we are putting in the earth will eventually destabilise the earths crust which will inevitably create some undesirable outcomes for the planet.

I'm not a nut case either, but with the molten core under pressure combined with the continual perforation of the earths crust, something will have to give at the end of the day surely? The earths crust is becoming more honeycombed as each day passes. I doubt I'll be around to experience the result, but someone surely will sometime in the future.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
As for the world exploding, I am of the opinion that all these holes we are putting in the earth will eventually destabilise the earths crust which will inevitably create some undesirable outcomes for the planet.

I'm not a nut case either, but with the molten core under pressure combined with the continual perforation of the earths crust, something will have to give at the end of the day surely? The earths crust is becoming more honeycombed as each day passes. I doubt I'll be around to experience the result, but someone surely will sometime in the future.
I believe that I can ease your anxiety in this matter. Consider the Earth's atmosphere, it extends 60 miles above the surface and whenever you see it depicted in pictures, surrounding the planet, it always looks huge. They do that so we can see it. If it was depicted to actual scale, the immensity of the earth would reduce it to something like adding a couple of coats of paint to a volleyball.

The deepest human engineered hole ever dug was a mine in the Soviet Union which in the 1970's, reached 7.5 miles beneath the surface. That is like three coats of paint applied to the inside skin of the volleyball.

We have come nowhere near the core, all our holes could at best be described as giving the planet a slight case of internal acne.

We have made mere pinpricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History