U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:16 AM

5,655 posts, read 4,643,466 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to a thread i made on the Photography Forum. It's a link to some photos in a 6 minute slide show with comments on the photos and on what was taking place in South Africa at the time.

South Africa under apartheid in the 1970s

I thought people on this forum might be interested in the historical aspects of the photos as well as the aesthetic ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM

58,140 posts, read 50,619,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Here is a link to a thread i made on the Photography Forum. It's a link to some photos in a 6 minute slide show with comments on the photos and on what was taking place in South Africa at the time.

South Africa under apartheid in the 1970s

I thought people on this forum might be interested in the historical aspects of the photos as well as the aesthetic ones.
South Africa in the 70s is not a place I would want to live in.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,643,064 times
I do not see any pictures here that could not have been taken in the USA in the 1950s and 60's. From the historical perspective, the USA and South Africa were only a decade or so out of lock step at the time.

And yes, I spent two months in South Africa in 1976, and lived in Louisiana and Alabama in much of the 50s and 60s, so I saw all this first hand.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 AM

5,655 posts, read 4,643,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I do not see any pictures here that could not have been taken in the USA in the 1950s and 60's. From the historical perspective, the USA and South Africa were only a decade or so out of lock step at the time.

And yes, I spent two months in South Africa in 1976, and lived in Louisiana and Alabama in much of the 50s and 60s, so I saw all this first hand.
It's quite well documented that the South African Government used the segregation of Blacks in the Southern US in the 50s as a blueprint for Apartheid...

Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,165,511 times
Even today South Africa is one of the most racist nations on earth. And it cuts both ways. It has an ugly past.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Even today South Africa is one of the most racist nations on earth. And it cuts both ways. It has an ugly past.
It is quite ugly. I met a White person from South Africa a few years ago. This is how he sees it. According to him, it was no good under apartheid, and it isn't that good now, and that the only good leader South Africa has had is Nelson Mandela.

My view is that South Africa was corrupt and undemocratic in the apartheid regime, and now it isn't any better now.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is quite ugly. I met a White person from South Africa a few years ago. This is how he sees it. According to him, it was no good under apartheid, and it isn't that good now, and that the only good leader South Africa has had is Nelson Mandela.

My view is that South Africa was corrupt and undemocratic in the apartheid regime, and now it isn't any better now.
That's the problem with people when oppressive regimes end. Those who feel oppressed, whether they say it openly, want 'payback' and so now whites are oppressed in South Africa. The same thing happened everything: the conquering army promises liberal and become the dictators, French Revolution, the Russian Revolution, other Communist revolutions. The oppressed becomes the oppressor, one kind of evil is replaced with another.

Peace cannot come from the barrel of a gun. Fire cannot fight fire. Two wrongs do not make a right.

We adults teach our children this - they understand it, yet we don't practice it ourselves? Sometimes I think 'grown up' should be an euphemism for 'hypocrite.'

Old 06-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's the problem with people when oppressive regimes end. Those who feel oppressed, whether they say it openly, want 'payback' and so now whites are oppressed in South Africa. The same thing happened everything: the conquering army promises liberal and become the dictators, French Revolution, the Russian Revolution, other Communist revolutions. The oppressed becomes the oppressor, one kind of evil is replaced with another.

Peace cannot come from the barrel of a gun. Fire cannot fight fire. Two wrongs do not make a right.

We adults teach our children this - they understand it, yet we don't practice it ourselves? Sometimes I think 'grown up' should be an euphemism for 'hypocrite.'
I've learned this. People who are oppressed and bullied often have long memories and never forget, because for them, it's personal. I think they become the oppressors because of those long memories, and sometimes, the oppressed who get power haven't had it before and can get corrupted as a result.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I've learned this. People who are oppressed and bullied often have long memories and never forget, because for them, it's personal. I think they become the oppressors because of those long memories, and sometimes, the oppressed who get power haven't had it before and can get corrupted as a result.
Do you think this might explain poor southerners being racist towards blacks during the Jim Crow/Reconstruction era and throughout the Civil Rights struggle too? But that's more taking out their frustrations at the wealthy on another oppressed group.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 AM

7,801 posts, read 9,082,307 times
Quote:

Mandela knew that Blacks & Whites needed to work together.
The problem is that the fall of the National Party and Apartheid led to it's replacement by another One Party State - the ANC.

Meet the new rulers ... the same as the old rulers except this bunch is Black. See what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History