Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times

Advertisements

The AMISH community sometimes will have a phone booth by a farm field. They use them to call customers about business deals, selling crops or handmade furniture, etc. - or to check on a family member at the hospital or other serious matters. But they frown on having phones routinely available at home, which leads to idle gossiping and is too "worldly."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
In NYC, you can still find plenty of payphones. In particular payphones are useful on subway platforms where cellphones cannot yet usually be used.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
I have used them recently...Cell Phones are often too much of a pain to carry around. Also, I am sure there are some people still questioning the safety of cell phones.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What do you miss about them?
What do you not miss about them?

The pranksters miss using them for pranks. Students (high school and college) seemed to have fun seeing how many they could fit in a phone booth. I liked having a clear voice to speak with that didn't cut out unexpectedly or break up like modern digital cell phones do. I liked that if there was an emergency and you dialed 911, the operator knew exactly where you're calling from and you got the correct 911 operator. If traveling, good luck in getting a local area 911 operator. Last I heard, you still get your hometown 911 instead of the city you're visiting. Heard they're trying to find a way to correct this.

What I don't miss are the pranks (gum or some other nasty stuff on the ear piece or cut phone cords) and especially the stinking mouth piece of the receiver. It always seemed to smell a combination of horrible bad breath and stale ashtray. Thankfully, I never came across one that was used as a toilet or a puke deposit.
Nothing, with the invention of cell phones the pay phone was rendered obsolete...

Old 06-24-2012, 07:04 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Back in the mid to late eighties we would build and use black boxes and gray boxes in order to hack pay phones to obtain long distance.

Phone Phreaking has always been in my blood.

Phreaking is much more fun than computer hacking IMO.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What do you miss about them?
What do you not miss about them?

The pranksters miss using them for pranks. Students (high school and college) seemed to have fun seeing how many they could fit in a phone booth. I liked having a clear voice to speak with that didn't cut out unexpectedly or break up like modern digital cell phones do. I liked that if there was an emergency and you dialed 911, the operator knew exactly where you're calling from and you got the correct 911 operator. If traveling, good luck in getting a local area 911 operator. Last I heard, you still get your hometown 911 instead of the city you're visiting. Heard they're trying to find a way to correct this.

What I don't miss are the pranks (gum or some other nasty stuff on the ear piece or cut phone cords) and especially the stinking mouth piece of the receiver. It always seemed to smell a combination of horrible bad breath and stale ashtray. Thankfully, I never came across one that was used as a toilet or a puke deposit.
For several years, when you dialed 911 in any city/county, the call went to the 911 operator in that county. Last year I was listening to my police scanner, the dispatcher was giving directions to where the cell phone caller was. She called from the car where her husband had hit her and said he wouldn't let her out. Police found them by "pinging" the cell phone.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Back in the 60s, we carried one around in the back of a pickup truck for a while. Seriously. We were doing a play that had a phone booth as a prop, so we borrowed one from the local phone company and dragged it from theatre to theatre. That sucker was heavy.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:30 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
I hadn't seen a pay phone in a really long time until this past weekend. I suppose it's because I haven't looked for one in a really long time. But there I was at a grocery store I go to now and then when I need something NOW and don't feel like driving to my regular store and what do I see out of my periphery right by the entrance...a pay phone. I just kind of looked at it and thought to myself, "well, I'll be damned....who knew?" I have been to that store many times, but never noticed it sitting out there.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:43 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
I also remember when the pay phone calls were a dime. A friend showed me you could put in a nickel and hit the coin return just right and make your call for that nickel.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I also remember when the pay phone calls were a dime. A friend showed me you could put in a nickel and hit the coin return just right and make your call for that nickel.
When I was a kid we went to the beach a lot with our friends via bus. All of the mothers worried about our getting there safely and they'd wait at home by the phone. Each of us would (using the same dime) call home and let it ring twice. Then hang up and get the dime back.

Two rings meant you were OK.

My gosh we were all cheap back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History