Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:07 PM

276 posts, read 236,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Glass jewelry thought to have been made in the Roman Empire has been found in a very unlikely place -- an ancient Japanese tomb.
Researchers from Japan's Nara National Research Institute for Cultural Properties announced Friday that three glass beads recovered from a Fifth Century burial site near Kyoto bear signs of Roman craftsmanship. This suggests that Roman influence reached as far as East Asia.
Japanese Tomb Found To House Rare Artifacts From Roman Empire

Interesting stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 07:40 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Fascinating...thanks for the links...

Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
I remember years ago when I was enrolled in the Gemological Institute Of America, studying to become a gemologist, I learned that the lapis lazuli (a beautiful blue opaque gemstone, often with inclusions of pyrite crystals - looking like specks of gold) was much beloved by the ancient Egyptians, and many of the gorgeous objects found in King Tut's tomb was inlaid with lapis lazuli ... was actually mined in Afghanistan. In fact the best quality lapis still comes from that war-torn country. Just goes to show you that trade routes were pretty extensive and sophisticated in classical antiquity.

The product that traveled the farthest seems to always be jewelry, gems, precious metals and even glass beads. Why not? It is the most portable, and has the potential for the highest profit at re-sale.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Perhaps dragons brought them there. They were known to horde shiny things.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
While i haven't ever read about the romans and ancient japanese trading by sea none the less i'm not surprised to read about this as the romans had been trading with the chinese since the Han dynasty by land and sea as they had several port cities along the Red Sea. The romans called ancient china Seres and the ancient chinese called the roman empire Daqin.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRisingAgain View Post

What it indicates is there was a well developed trade along what is called the Silk Road which went from China, through central Asia to Persia and then into Roman territory like Syria or Asia Minor. Where do you think Romans got silk, a fine ceramic called China, tea, peaches and oranges. I've seen both Roman and Chinese maps that both show knowledge of each others existance and knowledge of the Mediterranean. If the Chinese knew about that someone had to tell them or Chinese traders saw it with their own eyes. We need to realize that people in the past were not so isolated or immobile. Now whay I find interesting are Chinese mapes from the 14th century which describe places like the West Coast of the Americas and Australia and New Zealand. Some maps also show Southern Africa and the Americas up to Brazil. So how did the Chinese get there? Did a Chinese captain do a Magellan in reverse or did they beat Vasco de Gama and Dias by more than a century?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
There is a huge logical chasm between the appearance of three Roman coins and the suggestion that it signifies Roman "influence" in the far east Asia. If we take that suggestion at face value I suppose that the Huffington Post of the future will conclude, on the off chance that some archeologist finds my "crypt", that the three 5 Groszy coins suggest Polish "influence" on African American culture.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There is a huge logical chasm between the appearance of three Roman coins and the suggestion that it signifies Roman "influence" in the far east Asia. If we take that suggestion at face value I suppose that the Huffington Post of the future will conclude, on the off chance that some archeologist finds my "crypt", that the three 5 Groszy coins suggest Polish "influence" on African American culture.

The coins in and of themselves don't prove Roman influence but how those coins found themselves thousands of miles beyond the Roman world is a story in and of itself. Also that they weren't melted down to make something Chinese means they meant something more to a Chinese than metal scrap!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I think we see the oceans and seas as barriers that kept ancient peoples isolated, but all the evidence points to ancient peoples using the oceans and seas as pathways for trade.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:38 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,369 times
I don't know why they are amazed by that.
The Romans had a very active trade with China, but it was not DIRECT because Partians and Neopartians were "intermediaries", they were in the middle collecting tax....that's why the Romans sent Crassus to defeat Partians...and he was killed by Partians.
That is why Caesar has it all prepared to invade Partia, but he was killed.
That is why a Roman Emperor was captured alive by Partians during the late empire...
Just as in the modern world with the Oil Producers, the Romans has an enormous TRADE IMBALANCE with China...since all the Roman gold ended in China in exchange of silks, opium and luxury items....and the only thing that Romans had that interested Chinese was Glass. Roman glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History