Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Came across this video which shows the evolution of the enigmatic monument, showing how it would have looked before the decay set in and left us with the familar...

I selected a picture which included people so that the immense scale of the stones is apparent. Keep in mind that all of these great stones had to have been brought to the area from far away regions. The larger stones weigh more than 50,000 pounds.

The video...
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Excavation starts at Stonehenge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Good, but very short intro into this fascinating structure from pre-history.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I visited Stonehenge in summer of 1971. At that time you could walk amongst the stones, touch them totally accessible. Went back in mid-80's and access was restricted.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I visited Stonehenge in summer of 1971. At that time you could walk amongst the stones, touch them totally accessible. Went back in mid-80's and access was restricted.
What happened, were the rocks getting gang tagged or something?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I was under the impression that the stones were support parts of a wooden structure at some point?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I was under the impression that the stones were support parts of a wooden structure at some point?
I would need you to be more specific in order for me to comment on the above. I'm not sure what you are referencing.

Some have theorized that the means for mounting the capstones on top of the support pillars must have been a series of wooden scaffolds, but those would have been tools, not part of the finished structure. (Others think that the capstones were raised by building earthen ramps and sliding the stones to the top.)

Perhaps you are referencing the discovery of several other "Henges" in other locations which had been made entirely of wood rather than stone.

I'm not familiar with any claims regarding the structure serving to support anything on top of it, perhaps others here are and can help.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Some have theorized that the means for mounting the capstones on top of the support pillars must have been a series of wooden scaffolds, but those would have been tools, not part of the finished structure. (Others think that the capstones were raised by building earthen ramps and sliding the stones to the top.)

Old 08-02-2012, 01:12 PM

Default Unassailable Proof

Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I would need you to be more specific in order for me to comment on the above. I'm not sure what you are referencing.

Perhaps you are referencing the discovery of several other "Henges" in other locations which had been made entirely of wood rather than stone.

I'm not familiar with any claims regarding the structure serving to support anything on top of it, perhaps others here are and can help.
Somewhere (Nat. Geo., SciAm, Nature, Discovery, don't remember where) I saw some images that showed a semi-conical structure enclosing parts of it. I can't remember where I saw that though. I also note similarities to "circles" in other cultures (Miami FL has one of post holes) where the circles were used in that fashion to create open enclosed spaces. It just seemed more logical than moving stones into those positions to do a multi-generational practical joke.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Somewhere (Nat. Geo., SciAm, Nature, Discovery, don't remember where) I saw some images that showed a semi-conical structure enclosing parts of it. I can't remember where I saw that though. I also note similarities to "circles" in other cultures (Miami FL has one of post holes) where the circles were used in that fashion to create open enclosed spaces. It just seemed more logical than moving stones into those positions to do a multi-generational practical joke.
Sorry, I cannot recall coming across any mentions of an enclosing structure apart from the 30 vertical stones and capstones which once formed its outer perimeter. It was semi enclosed in that the support pillars leave a space near the bottom which isn't wide enough for anything larger than a cat to pass through, but are tapered as they rise leaving several feet between them at the tops. There were entrances on either side.

Bronze age Britains were a circle happy people. Stonehenge was but one, albeit the largest by a wide margin, of circular stone formations which have been found in various states of ruin. In addition to the stone circles, many times more wooden circles were constructed all over the island. Since these folks left no written records of any sort, we are left guessing at the meaning and significance of these circles. I think it most likely that they had to have been associated with some sort of sun worship since Stonehenge was set up to serve as a calendar with shadows marking solstices and equinoxes. It had to be more than just that last function since the same purpose could have been served by wooden stakes without the immense amount of labor that went into dragging and erecting those stones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History