Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,795,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You mean, the wild East, don't you?

And yet, Germany did considerable investment in Russia in the early 2000's, built factories, ran tour groups to all parts of the country (even the Mongol parts), invited Mongol (!) artists to exhibit their work in Germany, and generally behaved like old chums at a reunion. Life is full of surprises, isn't it?
And you think that this represent general sentiment of Europeans? Russian still need visas to even visit Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Good luck affording some "cheap" Russian chick

$1=15 roubles. Check the classifieds for salaries. Much more representative than GDP that measures GDP
Not representative at all. GDP is how we measure wealth.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
But the West manages to upgrade their roads as needed. Well, maybe now that the economy seems to have improved in Russia (relatively speaking), that will happen. I don't know if anything can be done about traffic in Moscow, without removing neighborhoods and causing extreme disruption and displacement. People would be really upset about being relocated from someplace central to those new suburbs-beyond-the-suburbs where the recent expansion took place, for example. I wonder how well new housing construction is doing, these days. There was always a huge deficit before.
I've already mentioned on another thread that I see "supersizing" of Moscow ( when other regions are underdeveloped ) as not a healthy sign.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
He claims to be an economist. This is the kind of thing the Russian university economics programs churn out. Behold: Exibit A.
Ha ha. You Russians are hillarious. Look up GDP you don't have to be an economist to grasp the concept or compare GDP'd of America and Russia and draw conclusions

Last edited by rebel12; 08-15-2012 at 12:10 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Good luck affording some "cheap" Russian chick

$1=15 roubles. Check the classifieds for salaries. Much more representative than GDP that measures GDP
In Western standards Russian prostitutes are cheap. There is plenty of Russian girls in the us and western Europe, too. There are even websites when you can order a bride from Russia. Its probably the best Russian export at this time... lol

And $1 = 30 rur not 15.

Last edited by rebel12; 08-15-2012 at 12:09 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
You are such a close minded person, Russians do not imitate Americans, they want to be like thevGermans, the French or the English. They want to have such luxuries like personal cars. Amazing, isn't it?
I was referring to the 90ies, when American model was sold in Russia as "the most successful model."
That's number one, and number two, "wants" and "needs" are two different things.
In Frankfurt I could easily get by without a car, a friend who lives in London is saying the same thing (so I assume all European cities are the same in this respect,) where in the US I couldn't get by without a car, except for New York.
People can live without luxuries, particularly when luxuries for few come at expense of many.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I know those too. Most like the fact that in Russia girls are prettier and much cheaper. You know the reality of big Russian cities, don't you?
What "reality?" I was talking about Soviet times, are you getting confused or what?

Quote:
Nevertheless to most Europeans Russia is wild wild west inhabited by Mongol hordes, ready to attack and plunder. Europeans still remember who's rockets were aimedbat European cities or who occupied central Europe.
Don't fool yourself, most Europeans wouldn't dare to go to Moscow.
I was not talking about opinion of "most Europeans," neither it would interest me.
I am interested in opinion of people capable of thinking in depth and independently, no matter what their origin is.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,315 times
Quote:
Not representative at all. GDP is how we measure wealth.
Hmm, you haven't studied any economics - it's not about wealth at all...

It's an abstraction. It does has its uses, but comparing incomes in Russia and elsewhere is not one of them.

Quote:
And you think that this represent general sentiment of Europeans? Russian still need visas to even visit Europe.
This is a political matter, and most Europeans are not politicians

Quote:
Look up GDP you don't have to be an economist to grasp the concept or compare GDP'd of America and Russia and draw conclusions
GDP: 54 trillion roubles.
Gray economy: from 30% of the GDP.
USD/RUR rate, based on prices of products and services consumed: $1 = 12-15 roubles.
Population: 140 million.

Add the numbers, if you wish. I won't do this, because, no matter how nice the result is - THIS IS NOT INCOME. It's just an abstraction, used to measure economic GROWTH.

Quote:
And $1 = 30 rur not 15.
What if Bank of Russia changes the USDRUR corridor to 280-320 - Russians will suddenly become 10 times poorer?

Quote:
In Western standards Russian prostitutes are cheap.
I was talking about normal girls... And no, prostitutes here are not that much cheaper, if at all.

Quote:
There is plenty of Russian girls in the us and western Europe, too.
Cheap? Almost all of them are either Ukrainian (Ukraine is not Russia) or sex slaves.

Quote:
There are even websites when you can order a bride from Russia. Its probably the best Russian export at this time... lol
It's a scam

Old 08-15-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I was referring to the 90ies, when American model was sold in Russia as "the most successful model."
That's number one, and number two, "wants" and "needs" are two different things.
In Frankfurt I could easily get by without a car, a friend who lives in London is saying the same thing (so I assume all European cities are the same in this respect,) where in the US I couldn't get by without a car, except for New York.
People can live without luxuries, particularly when luxuries for few come at expense of many.
1) I don't think it was the American model that was sold to you any more than German, French or Japanese model.

2) You can get around without a car in several older American cities like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and in many others more provided you are willing to live downtown.
You have to understand, Americans like to live in the suburbs with houses with yard etc etc.
For this kind of living you of course need to have a car.

What you had in Soviet Union was an economical utopia combined with political oppression, any model was better than this failed experiment...

Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Hmm, you haven't studied any economics - it's not about wealth at all...
It's an abstraction. It does has its uses, but comparing incomes in Russia and elsewhere is not one of them.
I have studies economics but it wasn't in any famous Russian business school. Sorry.

Quote:
This is a political matter, and most Europeans are not politicians
No. But they vote

Quote:
GDP: 54 trillion roubles.
Gray economy: from 30% of the GDP.
USD/RUR rate, based on prices of products and services consumed: $1 = 12-15 roubles.
Population: 140 million.

Add the numbers, if you wish. I won't do this, because, no matter how nice the result is - THIS IS NOT INCOME. It's just an abstraction, used to measure economic GROWTH.
OK. Salary of a grade school teacher and a cop in Moscow and in New York. Compare and come back, Ivan.

Quote:
What if Bank of Russia changes the USDRUR corridor to 280-320 - Russians will suddenly become 10 times poorer?

You brought up the exchange rate claiming it is $1 to 15 rur which is not correct. As a matter of fact the rate is $1 to 30 rur. Half of what you claimed.
Quote:
I was talking about normal girls... And no, prostitutes here are not that much cheaper, if at all.
And how would you know that?

Quote:
Cheap? Almost all of them are either Ukrainian (Ukraine is not Russia) or sex slaves.
Plenty of Russians in the West who ditched that miracle you paint here for greener pastures.

Quote:
It's a scam
Mail order brides from Russia is a scam but you have to note that Russian are really desperate to leave the country.
There are no website like this for Czechs or Hungarian girls. Just Russian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History