Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

The largest self-reported group by ancestry in the United States are Germans. Culturally, however, the United States is and will probably always remain a mostly British-based civilisation. From your legal system, to your language to most of your customs. The vast majority of presidents have had English, Scottish, or Irish last names (a few Dutch too).

Anyway, I'm wondering what are some examples of the German cultural legacy which makes American culture different from British culture?

I can think of two: hot dogs, and hamburgers, what else? It can be anything from cuisine, to customs, to linguistic features. Did German influence the accent in the Midwest, for instance?

It does seem Germans integrated faster than other ethnicities due to the cultural/genetic similarities with Britain, so it's hard to really see a big cultural imprint like the Italian Americans left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:20 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Anyway, I'm wondering what are some examples of the German cultural legacy which makes American culture different from British culture?

You mentioned linguistics and that is the typical starting place for academic explorations.

So, you are sitting on your couch watching a blitzing linebacker, enjoying a stein of beer, your Doberman curled on the floor next to you, your kid comes home from kindergarten and expresses angst because you are out of pretzels. You would send your hausfrau out to get more, but ever since she discovered your romantic wanderlust, she has been giving you the iceberg treatment.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
I'm pretty well read on the history of Chicago, and German fingerprints are all over the city. They were a skilled immigrant group from the very early days of Chicago. I can suggest some very good books on the subject if you are interested :-)

Old 08-18-2012, 04:57 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Where would Cajun food be without the rice German immigrants brought to south Louisiana?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
The largest self-reported group by ancestry in the United States are Germans. Culturally, however, the United States is and will probably always remain a mostly British-based civilisation. From your legal system, to your language to most of your customs. The vast majority of presidents have had English, Scottish, or Irish last names (a few Dutch too).

I can think of two: hot dogs, and hamburgers, what else? It can be anything from cuisine, to customs, to linguistic features. Did German influence the accent in the Midwest, for instance?

It does seem Germans integrated faster than other ethnicities due to the cultural/genetic similarities with Britain, so it's hard to really see a big cultural imprint like the Italian Americans left.
That's because the Germans kept a low profile. Everybody else did not. Especially so called "Italian Americans". And I put it this way because - just because your great grandfather came from Italy, or possibly even great great grandfather, dosen't make you "Italian American". You're less than 1% Italian. Hardly anything you can talk about.

But it has also a lot to do with stereotypes. Italians are this and that, the French are this and that.. they are a lot of things to people. Of course they've never been there and don't know any better. So being "Italian" or "French" is "hip" to a lot of people.
Well, and then there was WW1 and WW2.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
Due to a large influx of German speakers to America, it's influenced how Most Americans speak their English.

Winner rather than winter In my area, many pronounce it "Win - der"
wadder rather than water

Here in America, I feel that we follow a lot of German rules when it comes to the pronunciation of vowels and consonants. If we don't follow them, due to the German influence, we've dropped them altogether or heavily modified them, and therefore, we speak our English much differently than the UK, NZ, and AU. I could well be wrong, but that's my suspicion. I'm no linguist...

In my area, there's a huge German influence for names of streets and towns. For example, I live 25 miles west of Hamburg and Womelsdorf. There are generally three nationalities used in my area, British, German, or Native American, but I do live in one of the original states as well as being in areas that were settled first. My area was under British rule at one time. The lobsters even had forts all about me.

I think the anti-German sentiment from WWI up to the Linbergh kidnapping caused much of the country to drop the German connection.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:

it's hard to really see a big cultural imprint like the Italian Americans left.
I take it you haven't been to Ohio.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
How about the beer most Americans drink?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Where would Cajun food be without the rice German immigrants brought to south Louisiana?
Surely, you jest!

Where the frack is rice grown in Germany? And what German founded the rice plantations in Georgia and South Carolina where slaves taught Europeans how to cultivate a crop that they have been growing for over 2 thousand years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History