Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 PM

272 posts, read 907,101 times

Advertisements

The two-faced eagle had nothing to do with Nazism.
It came from Bizantium and later became the most powerful Heraldic sign in the world, as it represented the union of the Sacred Roman Germanic Empire (Hapsburg) with the Spanish Monarchy, a large chunk of the planet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro View Post
a large chunk of the planet.
Including Russia for about a thousand years.

The first one:

Official coat of arms today:

Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 AM

XV century, copied from the Byzantine two-faced eagle.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
XV century, copied from the Byzantine two-faced eagle.
That's right, because Russia inherited its church from Byzantium, and Russia is actually the Third Rome.
The way I see it now, the Third Reich was fighting that "historical mistake" and it was planning to replace The Third Rome, becoming the new Empire, the New Third Rome.
The plan didn't work out however, there for we can safely come the conclusion that Russia as a Third Empire was not a mistake.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 AM

472 posts, read 925,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Been interested in a Military Channel show called Nazi Collaborators. They've shown several countries that willingly, without any threats of violence from Nazi troops, committed acts of rape, torture, and mass murder of their own Jewish neighbors. Some were so vicious and violent that theNazis felt they had to take control of them befor they got out of hand. Troops from these countries willingly went into other countries to exterminate Jews. Lithuania was one of these countries.

Does any one have a list of nations that willingly worked with Nazis to exterminate Jews?

Just about German allies or-occupied countries, except Denmark and Italy

Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 AM

134 posts, read 155,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Three questions.

First, I think I read somewhere that Facist Italy (Mussolini) at first refused to give the Jews over to the Nazis. They later caved in, presumably as Italy began to weaken. Does anybody know if this is true?

Second, I have never read anything about what happened to the Jews in neutral Spain and Portugal. The Jewish populations were probably not that high in these countries but I am still wondering what the attitudes of their governments were --- especially Franco in Spain.

Third, what happened to the Jews in Finland? German ally in WW2 but stil independent.
I'm not entirely sure on this. Though while the Germans and Finns fought alongside each other against the Soviets in the Continuation War, The Finnish never had an offical alliance with Germany. My understanding is that the Finns were in a rough spot, so while they didn't want to be allies, they weren't in the position to say "no". I don't think the Finnish government liked Nazi polices.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's right, because Russia inherited its church from Byzantium, and Russia is actually the Third Rome.
The way I see it now, the Third Reich was fighting that "historical mistake" and it was planning to replace The Third Rome, becoming the new Empire, the New Third Rome.
The plan didn't work out however, there for we can safely come the conclusion that Russia as a Third Empire was not a mistake.

A more materialistic reason.....a distant niece of the last emperor of Constantinople married Ivan III some 500 years ago. As to the "third Rome fightinG the third reich"....sounds like "predator against alien XII".

Old 09-09-2012, 10:52 AM

Second, I have never read anything about what happened to the Jews in neutral Spain and Portugal. The Jewish populations were probably not that high in these countries but I am still wondering what the attitudes of their governments were --- especially Franco in Spain.

Jews that ended in Spain during the war are now in the US for the most part. Jews that lived in Spain at that time were few. I know Lluis Bassat Coen, descendant of Catalan Sephardic Jews, so he's considered Catalan above all. He was born in Barcelona in 1941, he owns Bassat Ogilvy, a large advertising company. Franco protected Jews. Another thing is descendants of Jews or "cryptojews", there are entire cities and towns, certain number of families have returned to their faith after more than 500 years. There's a rumor that the Gestapo had lists of cryptojews, but that's nonsensical and they would have to include Franco himself.

Mussolini protected Jews, his lover, Clara Petacci, was Jewish, but Italy was occupied by Germans.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
A more materialistic reason.....a distant niece of the last emperor of Constantinople married Ivan III some 500 years ago. As to the "third Rome fightinG the third reich"....sounds like "predator against alien XII".
Both statements prove superficiality of your knowledge, which you exhibit time after another on variety of subjects.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
. As to the "third Rome fightinG the third reich"....sounds like "predator against alien XII".
I agree. Its not like one was morally better than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History