Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 06:31 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,010,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Longstreet was right. The Confederates should have stuck to a defensive strategy.
If I had been Meade I would have been praying for the Confederates to go into a defensive posture. Deep in enemy territory, with their lines of supply and communications cut off and with the Union free to transfer as many of its overwhelmingly greater number of troops as necessary to maintain the siege, they could only have waited until they starved or were cut to pieces trying to break out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 08:10 PM

1,057 posts, read 866,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
If I had been Meade I would have been praying for the Confederates to go into a defensive posture. Deep in enemy territory, with their lines of supply and communications cut off and with the Union free to transfer as many of its overwhelmingly greater number of troops as necessary to maintain the siege, they could only have waited until they starved or were cut to pieces trying to break out.
A general defensive strategy, not just in Gettysburg. Under that scenario, there would be no Gettysburg. Condefetates would dig into defensive positions and put the burden on union troops to force them out. I can’t remember if he called for gurellia warfare or not. I guess war was still somewhat of a gentleman sport then.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:51 AM

9,166 posts, read 13,215,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
I don't think Longstreet meant that the entire Army of Northern Virginia should find a hilltop to defend in Pennsylvania and stay there until it was totally surrounded out of supply and eventually forced to surrender like Pemberton out in Vicksburg.

Rather he wanted to try to maneuver between the Union Army of Potomac and the cities it was trying to protect like Baltimore and Washington and try to get the Union Army to attack the Army of Northern Virginia somewhere at a disadvantage. Indeed, just a portion of the ANV could hold off the Federals defensively while the rest of the Southerners attacked the Federal flanks, classic Lee style.

Instead, Lee opted for frontal assaults at Gettysburg and we all know the result.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:40 PM

10,500 posts, read 7,003,800 times
Personally, I think the campaign that could have really sealed the Confederates doom was the Peninsular Campaign. Had a Sherman or Grant been in charge of that campaign, as opposed to the poseur McClellan, the war might have been effectively over inside of a year.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:11 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,703,788 times
The Civil War was not all that unlike the Pacific War in WW II. It just the winning side more time to gear up and bear down on the losing side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History