Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I have to wonder if some of you are calling pocket calculators adding machines? Because to me, an adding machine is a typewriter type device where you turn a crank to add the numbers. Pocket calculors became affordable sometime around 72 or 74 and rapidly made them obsolete.
No, I think we know what is meant by adding machines. What an adding machine did, that a calculator didn't, is provide a written record of the numbers added. It made it easier later to verify a total's accuracy, or find out why there was an error. Many times the paper roll would be ripped off and stapled to something as a permanent record of the addition. Pocket calculators could never serve that function. That kept adding machines a part of business offices for decades after the advent of the calculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
Adding machines... don't know if I ever used one

Record players... I have two with about 200 records

Typewriters... 1990s, my grand father had one and when we would stay over we would type with it because we thought it was the coolest thing ever

Cassette tapes (audio)... I have two cars that I drive that have one, and I bought a used tape deck

Engines with carburetors... My first car in 2001 was a Olds Cutlass with a carb

VHS... just bought a brand new one

Beepers / pagers...never

Dial-up modems...2002ish

Film cameras...2002ish, disposable

CD...all the time

CRT displays (monitors and TVs)...the tv in our house is from 1989 so yes

Land-line telephones...5 or so years ago, my parents got rid of theirs nothing but people selling stuff

AM radio... occasionally

Incandescent lighting...most of our house is.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM

21 posts, read 29,371 times
Adding machines... Don't think I ever have.

Record players... Back in the 80's when I was kid.

Typewriters... I took typing in HS back in 1997, I also used an electric typewriter to fill out overtime requests back in 2001-02.

Cassette tapes (audio)... Had to be in the early to mid 90's.

Engines with carburetors... I never owned a car with a carburetor.

VHS... Probably a few years ago, it was work related.

Beepers / pagers...had one briefly in 2000 or so.

Dial-up modems...02-03

Film cameras...just a guess but 2004 or 2005.

CD...still do

CRT displays (monitors and TVs)...back in 2001

Land-line telephones...I use them all the time at work.

AM radio...everyday when I listen to ESPN radio.

Incandescent lighting...everyday.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Being involved in emergency planning and management I'd like to state that anyone who gives up a land line phone is a fool. In many emergency incidents, especially those related to weather, cell towers are the first to go down, or get jammed. The jamming is so bad people in emergency management have a special code (GETS) that knocks civilian users off the cell so emergency communications between agencies can get through.
Good to know!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
[quote=tvdxer;26307268]Adding machines... 2002?

Record players...still use them

Typewriters...1999

Cassette tapes (audio)...2011

Engines with carbeurators...1999

VHS...2004

Beepers / pagers...'90s

Dial-up modems...2002

Film cameras...2005

CD...still use it

CRT displays (monitors and TVs)...2008

Landline telephones...still use them

AM radio...2010?

Incandescent lighting...still use it

Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
Adding machines...Never

Record players...About a month ago, my grandma still has her old record player and we play music at family gatherings

Typewriters...1994, right before my family got the first family computer

Cassette tapes (audio)...About a month ago, again at grandmas

Engines with carbeurators...2001

VHS...1999

Beepers / pagers...Never owned one

Dial-up modems...2003

Film cameras...2002

CD...Still use them in my friends car, maybe 2 weeks ago

CRT displays (monitors and TVs)...2007

Landline telephones...Still have one in the house

AM radio...This morning

Incandescent lighting...As we speak in my office

Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Adding machines... (never used one.. still use a calculator though)

Record players... (probably 1985 or thereabouts)

Typewriters... (learn to type on a typewriter, probably the most useful class I ever took in highschool. Haven't touched one since mid 80s.. )

Cassette tapes (audio)... (late 80s or early 90s)

Engines with carbeurators... (got my first car long after fuel injection so don't think I really qualify)

VHS... (still have some laying around but have not used them consistently since the late 90s)

Beepers / pagers... (probably 2003 or 4)

Dial-up modems... (pre 2000)

Film cameras... (pre 2000)

CD... (still have a bunch, don't use them much but at the same time have not converted them to MP3 so...)

CRT displays (monitors and TVs)... (still have on in my sons room but I haven't had one in about 5 years)

Landline telephones... (still have one)

AM radio... (i still tune into AM on a daily basis.. My wife has Sat Radio but I don't.. not yet anyway)

Incandescent lighting... (still have plenty in the house)

Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It looks like the examples are eliciting surprise answers for you.

Being involved in emergency planning and management I'd like to state that anyone who gives up a land line phone is a fool. In many emergency incidents, especially those related to weather, cell towers are the first to go down, or get jammed. The jamming is so bad people in emergency management have a special code (GETS) that knocks civilian users off the cell so emergency communications between agencies can get through.
Yes, but assuming that you can get a basic landline phone for $10 a month (most people probably pay more). Is it really worth paying $120 a year, just incase you need to make one emergency phone call, at a time your cellphone is not working? Personally I'll take the chance, and I don't think I'm a fool for it.

From my experience, telephone lines are not that reliable in extreme weather. In fact I seriously doubt that they anymore reliable then wireless. Wind and ice often causes tree branches to fall on the lines, which causes outages. Depending on how widespread the outages are, it could take more then a few days to get service restored. Also most current phones wont even work if there is a power outage. As long as its charged, your cellphone should have no problem making calls under those conditions.

I will give landlines one point in emergencies. Making a 911 call on a landline is a lot faster then making it on a cellphone and waiting to be connected to the right agency. Is that one benefit worth a $120 a year. I don't think so.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Adding machines - Never used one in my life.

Record players - Stopped using them as a kid probably mid-1980s when I got a tape deck. Started using them really in the late 90s when I started to DJ. Now I still use vinyl in addition to MP3s and occasionally CDs.

Typewriters - I think I played on my mom's typewriter as a small child around the mid-1980s. After that we had computers.

Cassette tapes (audio) - Was still listening to the occasional old mix tape in my car up until about 2005.

Engines with carbeurators - Never really drove one.

VHS - Probably about 2004 or 2005.

Beepers / pagers - Had one in 1998 and that was it.

Dial-up modems - 2003 or 2004

Film cameras - 2008. Would like to start using my old one again though if I get back into photography.

CD - Still use them.

CRT displays (monitors and TVs) - Last TV was about 2007. Last computer monitor was around 2010.

Landline telephones - 2005. Use one at work still however.

AM radio - Still listen for news and weather along with sports radio.

Incandescent lighting - Still have them around.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yes, but assuming that you can get a basic landline phone for $10 a month (most people probably pay more). Is it really worth paying $120 a year, just incase you need to make one emergency phone call, at a time your cellphone is not working? Personally I'll take the chance, and I don't think I'm a fool for it.

From my experience, telephone lines are not that reliable in extreme weather. In fact I seriously doubt that they anymore reliable then wireless. Wind and ice often causes tree branches to fall on the lines, which causes outages. Depending on how widespread the outages are, it could take more then a few days to get service restored. Also most current phones wont even work if there is a power outage. As long as its charged, your cellphone should have no problem making calls under those conditions.

I will give landlines one point in emergencies. Making a 911 call on a landline is a lot faster then making it on a cellphone and waiting to be connected to the right agency. Is that one benefit worth a $120 a year. I don't think so.

You may not think so and that's ok. I gave you my perspective as someone involved in emergency planning and management and who develops emergency plans as an unpaid consultant/advisor.

As far as reliability goes, is an ambulance response for a heart attack worth $120? We go through several severe weather events here every year (tropical storms, severe thunderstorms, this summer's derecho, ice storms, Snowmageddon a couple years ago) and while we lost electricity in each of those not once did the land line phones go out.

With those events the cell towers either went down or were so jammed they were useless (except for those of us who hold the previously mentioned GETS code). What did work were my landlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History