Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,520,472 times

Advertisements

If a Time Travler were to show someone in 1912 what life was like in the year 2012 from his laptop what would they think of it? Or if a person from 1912 were brought into the year 2012 what would they think of it in terms of:
Society
Fashion
Technology
Arts
Music
Arcitecture
Entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 PM

192 posts, read 256,412 times
Society - Would be amazed at how open it is, in good and bad ways
Fashion - Would think the body mods looked barbaric and the clothes shockingly casual and sloppy
Technology - Amazed, but radio existed then so it wouldn't be completely incomprehensible how it got that far. Cars are still fundamentally the same too.
Arts - What arts? lol
Music - Would probably find it strange.
Architecture - Aside from some show-off skyscrapers, not really too different actually.
Entertainment - Would probably find it trashy.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
I think a person from 1912 would look at 2012 in terms of social politics as: "Meh."

There are huge differences, and at the same time, similarities. The pendulum seems to be swingin backwards.

Old days of slavery seem to present itself as modern slavery through a system of structured market monopoly and oligarchy.

Globalization has become the new, modern-feudalism.

In terms of music? I think they'd probably throw their radios out the window whenever that stupid Rihanna song keeps playin over-and-over on the damn air waves like it was yesterday's greatest gift.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 AM

192 posts, read 256,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post

In terms of music? I think they'd probably throw their radios out the window whenever that stupid Rihanna song keeps playin over-and-over on the damn air waves like it was yesterday's greatest gift.
I hate Rihanna. Her music is so dull and so boring, I don't get why the radio plays all her songs all the time? I swear 10% of what they play is Rihanna songs. No wonder music is so dead.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Ever see the movie Time after Time, where H G Wells takes the time machine in the basement to I think the 70's in persuit of Jack the Ripper? Its this wonderful movie with interluded of pure horrow which is as much about the future as the past. He goes to MacDonalds... and besides being rather surprised by the menu, he can't figure out what the table is made of. It looks like wood, highly polished, but it doesn't feel like it, and that becomes the symbol for the rest. At first he's delighted, but then he sees the same darkness and evil is still there, just different. Jack the Ripper fits perfectly in this new world.

I think someone from 1912 might agree with him. We only make larger, faster, smaller, more portable or powerful the physical things. At first it would look very impressive. But then he'd notice how once the awe had gone, there was so much which wasn't. If he was a forward thinker, he might be even more condeming, because he'd want to believe that in a century with all the tech we'd managed, that we hadn't done anything about the really important human things...

If he was a matter of fact sort, after the wonder and suprise had dimmed, he'd look and see the same human condition all over again.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,520,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
Society - Would be amazed at how open it is, in good and bad ways
Fashion - Would think the body mods looked barbaric and the clothes shockingly casual and sloppy
Technology - Amazed, but radio existed then so it wouldn't be completely incomprehensible how it got that far. Cars are still fundamentally the same too.
Arts - What arts? lol
Music - Would probably find it strange.
Architecture - Aside from some show-off skyscrapers, not really too different actually.
Entertainment - Would probably find it trashy.
For arts, I am taling what they would think of the artwork being made in the 21st century.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
If a Time Travler were to show someone in 1912 what life was like in the year 2012 from his laptop what would they think of it? Or if a person from 1912 were brought into the year 2012 what would they think of it in terms of:
Society
Fashion
Technology
Arts
Music
Arcitecture
Entertainment
The question could be better stated. I guess that it assumes a person living around New York City and not China or Siam.

Fashion in 1912 was pretty sophisticated. There are new fabrics since then, and the exposure of the body more prevalent now, but other than that I don't see major surprises.
Arts were also sophisticated in ways. Remove technology from that aspect and there are no great differences there either.
Music - I think they might mourn the death of music in the west. The ballad based music of the early rock era was followed by music that doesn't follow or build on classical rules.
Architecture - this is one area that I think they would find fascinating. The increases in knowledge of materials strengths and properties, and growth of new materials and innovative use of them is quite staggering.
Entertainment - without a doubt they would consider that there was too much of it, and that much of it had little or no redeeming value.
Society - the reaction would strongly depend on the individual. Some would embrace the changes and be comfortable, others react negatively.
Technology - this is what the question is really about. Depending on the person, there would be a lot of "Gee whiz!" and "Why didn't we think of that sooner?" and "How is that possible?" Air travel, cars, and electronics would be most interesting, I think.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
"Wow! If ordinary people have so many wonderful things today, what must the Tsar of Russia have!"

"Excuse me, but that colored fellow just walked right into the Country Club! Isn't he supposed to use the servant's entrance around back?"

"Why is that woman nearly naked?"

"All these tattoos....is everyone obligated to serve a hitch in the navy these days?"

"Larry King is still alive?"

Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"Wow! If ordinary people have so many wonderful things today, what must the Tsar of Russia have!"

"Excuse me, but that colored fellow just walked right into the Country Club! Isn't he supposed to use the servant's entrance around back?"

"Why is that woman nearly naked?"

"All these tattoos....is everyone obligated to serve a hitch in the navy these days?"

"Larry King is still alive?"

"This "email" concept sounds interesting, but can I just send a damn telegram?"

"Wow, if you can get to Austria-Hungary in 12 hours by flying machine, it must be really fast to get to British Ceylon by ocean liner!"

"What do you mean you don't carry Dr. Brown's Pure Cocaine Nerve Tonic anymore? What's a fellow supposed to do the get through a case of the cold these days?"

"You mean to tell me the Chicago Cubs haven't won the World Series in how long?"

Old 10-15-2012, 02:15 PM

750 posts, read 908,163 times
If people 1912 to ask as the world 2012 they will look described very iridescent beautiful picture but if it to show that is - them the cruel disappointment would wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History