Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Everyone here knows about the Duluth lynching. Did you know the largest memorial in the entire country for lynching victims is there, as well? For the only white-on-black lynching in this state's history?

Furthermore, and just as unknown, many more Native Americans died via lynching than blacks ever did here. And for that matter, just as many whites (depending on your source, three) died as blacks.

Did any of those people matter to you, or register on your radar of outrage, or just the African Americans?
LOL, you are the only one exhibiting "outrage" over your belief that people shouldn't like Dr. King because he was an adulterer.

I agree with you in regards to your lynching mentions and know that all types of people were lynched. I only mentioned the black codes and lynching in MN because you seem not to be aware of the fact that MN was not that much different from the rest of the country in regards to attitudes about race.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 AM

Will note Kavalier, that many things you seem to believe are "unknown" are not "unknown" (natives and whites/Europeans and people of central and south American descent and Asians being lynched is not "unknown.")

You just seem to not be up to date on historical research and publications and other materials on said subjects like a lot of Americans are and instead of reading reputable material, they get their information from propgandized internet sites and media that reports "current events."

Old 01-24-2018, 10:27 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL, you are the only one exhibiting "outrage" over your belief that people shouldn't like Dr. King because he was an adulterer.

I agree with you in regards to your lynching mentions and know that all types of people were lynched. I only mentioned the black codes and lynching in MN because you seem not to be aware of the fact that MN was not that much different from the rest of the country in regards to attitudes about race.
I'm probably far more educated with regard to the history of my state, thank you very much.

Did you know the first "groups" of blacks to really show up here (there were hardly any ever any here prior to the 20th century) came here to cross the picket lines of union strikes/strikers?

It's interesting that the same people that ---- and moan about "big business" are the same people that endorsed "union busting". It's interesting how easy it is to spot dubious, false motives when there is a bigger agenda easily seen.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:27 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
And I still want to know what "fake " media?? Kings infidelity is well known. No one denies that. Next MLK comes up what? Once a year??? What does the media say??? His civil rights stuff. Exactly what is fake??

Lol the term "fake news" is becoming synonymous wirh "Ive got nothing to back up my position so I'll scream fske news"

Old 01-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I'm probably far more educated with regard to the history of my state, thank you very much.

Did you know the first "groups" of blacks to really show up here (there were hardly any ever any here prior to the 20th century) came here to cross the picket lines of union strikes/strikers?

It's interesting that the same people that ---- and moan about "big business" are the same people that endorsed "union busting". It's interesting how easy it is to spot dubious, false motives when there is a bigger agenda easily seen.
The bold is untrue, so it makes me question your supposed superior history education in MN. There were black people in what is now MN in the 1700s.

My black relatives moved to MN around 1895 and the head of household was a barber who owned his own barber shop. Not a union buster...

ETA: Black barbers main clientele were white people in the 19th century in case you were unaware. It was one of the few professions that allowed black men to have a "professional" career and most white men liked the services of their black barbers. Black barbers lived all over the Midwest in the 1800s. Many of them, due to being amongst the "elite" class of black Americans also were pretty wealthy financially and prior to the Civil War many of them were heavily involved in anti-slavery activism and the Underground Railroad.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
And I still want to know what "fake " media?? Kings infidelity is well known. No one denies that. Next MLK comes up what? Once a year??? What does the media say??? His civil rights stuff. Exactly what is fake??

Lol the term "fake news" is becoming synonymous wirh "Ive got nothing to back up my position so I'll scream fske news"
IMO anyone mentioning "fake news" is a propaganda consumer.

I also agree that Dr. King is not even mentioned hardly at all in regular media outlets (I guess "real news" lol). Only on his birthday or Black History Month.

But I'm thinking the propaganda sites mention him much more in order to rile up the bigoted amongst us.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The bold is untrue, so it makes me question your supposed superior history education in MN. There were black people in what is now MN in the 1700s.

My black relatives moved to MN around 1895 and the head of household was a barber who owned his own barber shop. Not a union buster...
Look at the brackets. I said "hardly".

There were AAs here...but there were NOT that many. If you want to sit here and argue that there were, I've got better things to do with my time.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Look at the brackets. I said "hardly".

There were AAs here...but there were NOT that many. If you want to sit here and argue that there were, I've got better things to do with my time.
Like argue people don't "know" about the infidelity of Dr. King, which any learned person of 20th century history actually does know.....

ETA: Sorry but there were "hardly" any whites in MN either prior to 1860.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:43 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
So exactly what is your gripe?
1. You say King was not an influential American?
2. He cheated on Coretta?
3. We get a day off from work? Or
4. He's got a memorial in DC

Old 01-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Like argue people don't "know" about the infidelity of Dr. King, which any learned person of 20th century history actually does know.....

ETA: Sorry but there were "hardly" any whites in MN either prior to 1860.

Right.

Quote:
But the three-day Battle of Gettysburg on July 1–3, 1863, is where the famed First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment proved its worth. The regiment’s suicidal charge is wrapped into the state’s identity, even 150 years later.

Earlier this week, Gov. Mark Dayton stood in his reception room at the Capitol under an oil painting of the First Minnesota and signed a proclamation honoring Tuesday as “Minnesota Courage at Gettysburg, Recognition Day” as he officially sent off a contingent of 90 elected officials and private citizens heading to Gettysburg for 150th anniversary remembrances this week.

“It was a battle and a moment upon which the fate of this nation hinged,” said Rep. Dean Urdahl, who co-chaired the governor’s Civil War commemorative task force with Secretary of State Mark Ritchie. “On July 2, at a critical moment in the battle, when the outcome hung in the balance, Minnesota answered the call. The First Minnesota stepped into the breach and charged into a confederate attack that could have broken the Union line. They gave all they had to save the day and the Union.”

Among them were the several hundred men of the First Minnesota. By this time, the unit had been in the war for three years. They were, in fact, the very first soldiers who volunteered for the Union Army. When the Confederacy fired on Fort Sumter in 1861 and Lincoln called for troops to keep the country together, Minnesota Gov. Alexander Ramsey happened to be in Washington and immediately offered 1,000 men.
https://www.twincities.com/2013/06/2...at-gettysburg/

Maybe they should have all stayed in Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History