Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,375 times

Advertisements

Very good posts, I would have to say that the 90's did not feel like the 80's. With that said, I have this strange addiction to 1991 vehicles....guess that tells you which part of the 90's I liked!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:48 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I would say 1988 to 1991 were pretty similar. This late 80s/early 90s period was distinct from the early and mid 80's, and was perhaps the period of the worst fashion and music in my lifetime. This was the peak of hair metal and horrible fashion like you would see on an old episode of In Living Color. The early to mid 80s on the other hand were more about New Wave and true Heavy Metal, and the fashions were most eccentric than tacky.

I agree with the other poster who said it was about 1992 when this all changed. This was when the grunge era hit hard, and all the cheesy late 80s stuff was swept under the rug quite rapidly. The grunge era lasted until about 1998, when it was replaced with Nu Metal, Emo, and more pop oriented music (e.g. boys bands, Britney Spears). This lasted until about 2003, which was really about the time the 00's truly kicked in IMO.
Emo wasn't really around in 1998 from what I remember, aside from as an underground scene and in its original form, which is a pretty different style from what we think of as being emo today. Though, I suppose some of the pop punk bands of the late 90s/early 00s had some emo-like features to them, including Blink 182, Sum 41 and Lit.

I didn't notice emo until 2004 or even 2005, though "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World from '01 is probably the first hit song that's truly emo. Weezer's music is somewhat emo but there wasn't really a such thing as an emo kid back then so nobody really thought of their music as being emo.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Very good posts, I would have to say that the 90's did not feel like the 80's. With that said, I have this strange addiction to 1991 vehicles....guess that tells you which part of the 90's I liked!
Can you explain why in more detail? I'm curious. To me, 2008 and 2012 don't seem all that different. Was 1988 and 1992 a greater contrast in comparison?

I definitely think on the whole, the 80s and 90s were almost like night and day but they seem to bleed around the edges. Overall though, the 80s in my opinion look backward to the 60s/70s and the 90s forward to the 00s/10s.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Can you explain why in more detail? I'm curious. To me, 2008 and 2012 don't seem all that different. Was 1988 and 1992 a greater contrast in comparison?

I definitely think on the whole, the 80s and 90s were almost like night and day but they seem to bleed around the edges. Overall though, the 80s in my opinion look backward to the 60s/70s and the 90s forward to the 00s/10s.
I'll have to come back and do that. The biggest thing as far as recollection of a time period for a given person was what they were going through at that time.

I was a "nerd" growing up in the 80's, became Mr. Cool in the late 80's and early 90's. Got my license (turned 16 around 1990). Met the wrong woman who became my wife in 1992. I really have to think it through more deeply.

I can tell you that as a car enthusiast, I loved picking up Car and Driver magazine as a kid to see the latest Porsche or Ferrari back in the 80's. It seemed like there was so excess back then and I happen to like it and think of it as funny in a cool way. Around 1990-1991, the Mitsubishi 4g63 engine was introduced...and that 4 cylinder still takes names today with some people even making 1700hp from it today. After all of the excess in the 80's, cars with engines that the average person could afford. Not only that, the quality of the vehicle was decent too!

As you can see, it all depends on what the person was doing around that time.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times
I would agree with the comments regarding "hair metal" giving way to Grunge in the 1991-1992 timeframe. I turned 30 in 1990 and recall fondly Van Halen, Dokken, Great White, and others getting a lot of radio airplay. Also recall New Wave making it's beginnings in the late 1970's (Blondie, The Cars, Gary Numan, The Police and others that you youngsters have probably never heard of ).

For some reason, I could never get into Grunge and the music that followed it. I think that officially marked the boundary for me between "youngster" and "old fogie"

Remember, you gotta be older than, say, 50 to be a classic rock fan.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I would agree with the comments regarding "hair metal" giving way to Grunge in the 1991-1992 timeframe. I turned 30 in 1990 and recall fondly Van Halen, Dokken, Great White, and others getting a lot of radio airplay. Also recall New Wave making it's beginnings in the late 1970's (Blondie, The Cars, Gary Numan, The Police and others that you youngsters have probably never heard of ).

For some reason, I could never get into Grunge and the music that followed it. I think that officially marked the boundary for me between "youngster" and "old fogie"

I've actually heard and enjoy every single one of those, but only thanks to the Internet. Though, I probably would have discovered them eventually since I enjoy that kind of music even without the Internet. Even as a little kid I enjoyed songs like "Time After Time" and "Hit Me With Your Best Shot".

Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post

Who you callin' a youngster!?

I disagree with that last statement, you can be a classic rock fan at any age. You don't need to have grown up with something to be into it.

I own a pair of extremely eclectic ears when it comes to music. I'm a big fan of everything! I wasn't alive in 1870 but I sure do love old folk songs.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times
True. I think it's fair to say that the music we listened to in our teens and 20's tends to be our favorite because that's what we are exposed to the most. It was/is (for the majority of us, I would imagine) the most fun time of our lives.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I'm 65 and the 80
's much like the early 90's. The big change I have seen in my life came in the mid 60's.That is wehn mnay things chnage from society that had been pretty mcuh teh same sicne after WWII.It was whatever turns you on form then on and more me concentrated.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,990 times
The 60ies/70ies/ and 80ies don’t look back towards the past, but the world of the 90ies is more recognizable to you because you were born then and because it is a nearer time period and therefore today is more like the 90ies than like the 80ies.

Fashion wise the 90ies are pretty conservative wild loud colors are out (they are more common in the 80ies and before). Right now there seems to be a trend back towards brighter colors and less conservative fashion. From mid 80ies to 2000(and esp. in the 90ies) long short were in even going a little past the knee in the 90ies, today shorts seem to be heading back to being shorter(not yet daisy duke level short but defiantly not 90ies long). What I am finding intresting about this time period is how many thing look like they could be home in the 80ies that are fashionable now. About the big difference is the color choices are a tad different but I have seen modern in style clothing that a time traveler could wear in the 80ies and not generate too much suspicion. Even skinny jeans which were popular in the late 70ies early 80ies(but skinner than today).

Auto styling went from boxy to round in the 80ies, the Ford Tempo and The Original Taraus changed the way cars look and so in the 90ies cars are more roundish(they are now going back to squarish boxy but not the same sort of boxiness of the 70ies). Bucket seats are pretty much standard in the front seat of cars of the 80ies and most cars of the 80ies are front wheel drive. The minivan became the standard way to transport families vs. the station wagon( Chrysler in the 80ies created or greatly expanded this market segment). The SUV does not become dominate till the 90ies(before then they were a lot fewer of them and they were much more utilatrian.)

Technology wise cell phones and computers exsist in the 80ies but are no where near as common or deeply used. The internet is not a part of peoples lives in the 80ies and about half the 90ies. This makes major impacts to the way people work, live and play.

Anyway the reason why the early 90ies look like the 80ies is because time periods overlap. It isn’t like there is some great memo stating that it is 1980, the afro and disco are now not in style anymore or it is 1990 and hard rock ballots from metal bands that wear make up no longer cool or it is 2000 grunge is out. Things like that fade and often a decade is known more for things that happen in the middle of it not the start. And some artist can have success in multiple decades Madonna for instance was pretty successful up till very recently, she got started in the 80ies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History