Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

So that I would be 20 years old at the start of the War of Southern Independence and do my part at Fredricksburg, Antietam and Gettysburg.
Is this because you wish to experience the failure of the rebellion first hand, or do you imagine that your presence would be the difference maker and a Confederate victory would result?

If the former, you are telling us that your desire is to kill people on behalf of a cause you know will fail. Kind of hard to see the nobility in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Is this because you wish to experience the failure of the rebellion first hand, or do you imagine that your presence would be the difference maker and a Confederate victory would result?

If the former, you are telling us that your desire is to kill people on behalf of a cause you know will fail. Kind of hard to see the nobility in that.

Honor and glory exist within the struggle itself and not victory.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I cannot think of another time in history I would have wanted to live. I think a person is born exactly when they should be, where they should be and by the right parents. I accept that and embrace it and would not change anything about it.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
When were you born? I'd actually say exactly the same as you for the same reasons, probably 1949, the year my dad was born. Young enough to experience awesome 60s music, not too old for 70s pop, and settling into Middle Age in the 90s when things were going well.

Your second choice 1985 is a year before I was born, 1986. It's not a bad year to be born, I guess, as much as I would have loved to have been alive in the 60s and 70s. I was the penultimate '90s kid'. I'd much rather have been born when I was than in say 1996.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
1760, would love to see America go from a British colony to an independent nation. Someone born in 1760 would live to see the nation develop, all the states of the midwest and south develop, the Louisana purchase, the war of 1812 so much going on for someone born in that era. Another interesting time to be born would be 1890. Born into the world of horse and buggy, live to see the automobile, airplane, modern communication, radio, tv and even space flight. Those who lived to be 100 saw the year 1990, the dawn of the computer age. (just a few years short of the internet) No generation saw more technology develope than this one did. Of course they also lived with the worst bloodshed in world history, given the two bloody world wars they lived with.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
1920. May as well get into the thick of the Depression and WWII as a teen and young adult.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
1760, would love to see America go from a British colony to an independent nation. Someone born in 1760 would live to see the nation develop, all the states of the midwest and south develop, the Louisana purchase, the war of 1812 so much going on for someone born in that era. Another interesting time to be born would be 1890. Born into the world of horse and buggy, live to see the automobile, airplane, modern communication, radio, tv and even space flight. Those who lived to be 100 saw the year 1990, the dawn of the computer age. (just a few years short of the internet) No generation saw more technology develope than this one did. Of course they also lived with the worst bloodshed in world history, given the two bloody world wars they lived with.
I think being born about 1900 would've been better. It's amazing there are still people alive born before 1900. To go from the pre-automobile age to the digital age.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Honor and glory exist within the struggle itself and not victory.
Perhaps under normal conditions, but in this hypothetical you already know that your cause is defeated, and not only defeated, but the southern states are left in a very sorry state for decades to come as a consequence of the rebellion.

There isn't any honor or glory in killing people with no possibility of achieving your goal.

Or are you telling us that your sense of personal honor is so great that it justifies the utterly pointless slaughter of others by you?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Perhaps under normal conditions, but in this hypothetical you already know that your cause is defeated, and not only defeated, but the southern states are left in a very sorry state for decades to come as a consequence of the rebellion.

There isn't any honor or glory in killing people with no possibility of achieving your goal.

Or are you telling us that your sense of personal honor is so great that it justifies the utterly pointless slaughter of others by you?
Here's a hypothetical. America is invaded by a superior force, and y'all know there's no hope. So do you just lay down your weapons, because there's no hope, or do you keep on fighting? Isn't there any honour in still fighting on regardless?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Around 1935. Some memory of the Great Depression and WWII, but then things in the US got better and really didn't slow down until the 1980's. Being safely retired well before the latest economic depression hit. Drawback, too old to experience the sexual revolution; if that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History