Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,586,937 times

Advertisements

What was the anti-war movement like in the south? On college campuses? In general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,968,969 times
I had personal experiences with it at two colleges, Florida State which I attended, and the University of Florida where I spent a great many weekends visiting friends.

Of the two, UoF had the far more serious protests and a couple of times things got out of hand and protests were broken up by the police using tear gas, which isn't very pleasant I discovered. Things never reached the point where the university had to be shut down or anything which might be described as a riot took place, but there were some minor battles with police, minor injuries, and of course lots and lots of rhetoric.

The protest movement at FSU never advanced beyond the high comedy stage. I started there in 1970 and the campus revolutionary movement was led by this tall, skinny guy called "Radical Jack." Jack had this odd side to side motion when he walked and you'd see him walking around campus with a bunch of people following him, making fun of his stride.

The first rally of any sort to take place after I enrolled was the "Marines Off Campus!" protest staged on a Friday night. I showed up just to watch, I thought the cause rather thick headed and misdirected. I was very much against the Vietnam War, but all one had to do to avoid the hideous influence of Marine recruiters on campus was to not go to their office and not join the Marines.

It was the usual hyperbolic rhetoric and emotionalism as one speaker after the next got up and satisfied his or her ego with passionate speeches. A half dozen guys got carried away and broke into Bryan Hall where the Marine recruiting office was, and trashed things a bit. They were arrested, fined 25 bucks each for trespassing and released.

So naturally the next rally was "Free The Bryan Hall Six!" which wasn't protesting the Vietnam War, nor protesting Marine recruitment on campus, but rather protesting the treatment received by those six protesters from the previous rally. During this rally a couple of guys set fire to some bushes on Landis Green, they got arrested, charged with destruction of public property and fined 40 bucks each.

So naturally the next rally was "Free The Landis Green Two!"...then a candlelight vigil for the Tully Gym Five or something like that...

It just kept going downhill from there. It was a protest movement which devoted all of its time to protesting the way that protesters were treated.

They were widely, and justly regarded, as a campus joke.

Last edited by Grandstander; 12-09-2012 at 09:39 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
I went to college in Texas and really it wasn't much here at elast. I think perhaps its the society itself really as we were still pretty tradtional. Most hated the war but few protested no more than they did Korea.But certainly other factors influence the change we saw starting in the mid 60's of drugs and crime rates that built to peak in the early 70's.World was never the same after that and biggest change I have seen at 65 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History