U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Read history books for enjoyment purposes, suggestions on early German medieval periods, Steven Saylor Roman Blood, Sharan Newman The Devil’s Door, history books by Michael Wood

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:59 PM

3,160 posts, read 9,946,844 times

Advertisements

This is a good forum and I look forward to visiting often.

I don't have any titles to recommend. Right now I am trying to learn the history of the Creek Indians. The Road to Disappearance by Angie Debo is on my list.

I also like any American history topics, and I like to read about Europe 900-1500 AD. Well, I like any history as long as it is not too dense a read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 03:18 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,034,769 times
Peggy,
Try " A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman.. It is a long book, but a real 'page-turner as far as history books go. She writes in such a way that you can actually "see" the historical people and events. Many history books are quite 'dry' !! Also Norman Cantor on the Middle Ages is great.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:00 AM

13,394 posts, read 42,201,499 times
link to the historical fiction book thread in Books forum

Old 11-18-2007, 02:29 PM

14,193 posts, read 27,088,937 times
I've always thought the popular reading of the times gives insight to the people and their lives. You might want to try Guy de Maupassant. He was French. One of my favorite stories is La Parure, or The Necklace. It is available in English. The French is tough because it's just old enough to be confusing.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 PM

I love all of Guy de Maupassant's short stories.
He really understood human behavior, perhaps because he himself had so many of his own foibles. Reading his works does let one into that time and socio-economic realm of history.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:43 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,891,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I love all of Guy de Maupassant's short stories.
He really understood human behavior, perhaps because he himself had so many of his own foibles. Reading his works does let one into that time and socio-economic realm of history.
He was an absolute genius and is truly one of the greats. His ability to write up someone's entire life in a few pages is astounding and he is one of my very favourite authors. Zola and Balzac are pretty darn good too, but much more verbose.

Maupassant's economy of words does not take away from the potency of his writing and I admire him so much for his unerring eye for the best and the worst of human nature.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Maupassant's economy of words does not take away from the potency of his writing .
It adds to it!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:56 AM

3,160 posts, read 9,946,844 times
Thanks, Trudeyrose. I will put those on my list.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:44 PM

8,399 posts, read 19,398,258 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always thought the popular reading of the times gives insight to the people and their lives. You might want to try Guy de Maupassant. He was French. One of my favorite stories is La Parure, or The Necklace. It is available in English. The French is tough because it's just old enough to be confusing.

I am a teacher and was just reading that story with my fifth graders. I believe I also read it all those years ago. Not in French , though.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
Default history books for fun

I found this site by typing a search for books on history of Europe. I like to read historical books for entertainment but I feel as if I am missing the big picture. Based on reading biographies of Napoleon, Elizabeth I, Catherine de Medici, Michelangelo, Wars of the Roses, etc. as well as Michener books like Poland, Mexico, Hawaii , I have learned lots about small segments, usually confined to a single country or region. I am looking for an entertaining version of the history of Europe thoughout the middle ages and the Renaissance that covers all of the regions and how they interelate at the time. By entertaining, I mean in depth coverage of people and relationships in addition to the events that occurred. It's the people, (good, evil, love, greed) that make history interesting to me. I'm not looking for historical fiction (although I like that as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History