U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Read history books for enjoyment purposes, suggestions on early German medieval periods, Steven Saylor Roman Blood, Sharan Newman The Devil’s Door, history books by Michael Wood

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,030,952 times

Advertisements

Dialyn, I'm going about reading history just the opposite!! I started reading books on the whole history and then went off into specialized areas. I am reading the Napolean bio now!! Next is Charlemange if I can find a good one. I would suggest "Europe, A History" by Norman Davies. It is a large book, but not boring, very informative and alot of his personality in it. It would be a good winter book to read!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,870,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Dialyn, I'm going about reading history just the opposite!! I started reading books on the whole history and then went off into specialized areas. I am reading the Napolean bio now!! Next is Charlemange if I can find a good one. I would suggest "Europe, A History" by Norman Davies. It is a large book, but not boring, very informative and alot of his personality in it. It would be a good winter book to read!
Try "Charlemagne" by Derek Wilson ( I think he has written another one too but I can't remember the title) and "Empire and Society" by Joana Story.

A fascinating one is "Two lives of Charlemagne" by Einhard , a contemporary of the Emperor and I suppose as close to the source as is possible !

Also if you are interested in Napoleon I would recommend "Napoleon" by Max Gallo, he is an acknowledged authority on the Emperor and an academic who has basically dedicated a lot of his professional life to the little Corsican corporal . I read his books a long time ago, most of them aren't translated in English but the one cited above is very good IMO.

Napoleon by Max Gallo - Lovereading
Max Gallo: Seeking a Sense of France's Identity - International Herald Tribune

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 11-28-2007 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Moose, Thanks..I have Charlemange by Derek Wilson on order.. also just added the 2 Lives/Einhard.. Also am getting Before France and Germany by Patrick Geary .. will add these to the stack of "not read yet" ..boy, that stack is really growing.. better get reading!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:13 PM

238 posts, read 780,678 times
Absolutely. My favorites are anything to do with the War for Southern Independence or Holocaust history.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 AM

1,622 posts, read 2,806,754 times
History is by far my favorite choice when it comes to reading material. Though I love to read just about anything, I find that I tend to gravitate toward 19th and 20th Century history, especially military. For those that have an interest along those lines, here's a list of some of the books I have read and enjoyed:

"The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China" by Caleb Carr

"Queen Victoria's Little Wars" by Byron Farwell

"The Scramble for Africa: White Man's Conquest of the Dark Continent from 1876 - 1912" by Thomas Pakenham

"End of Empire" by Brian Lapping

"Mau Mau: An African Crucible" by Robert B. Edgerton

"Days of Infamy: Military Blunders of the 20th Century" by Michael Coffey

"The Goebbels Diaries: 1942-1943" translated by Louis P. Lochner

"Inside the Third Reich" by Albert Speer

"Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland" by Christopher R. Browning

"A Bright, Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam" by Neil Sheehan

Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM

Tony T.. I am more interested in older eras, up to WW 1.. However, I just finished a book by William Manchester "The Arms of Krupp" It was facinating..all about the Krupp family from the 1500's up to and past WW2. It is not just about war, even though Krupp was the major arms mfg. The research that went into it was extensive. I did read another of Manchester's books. "When the World Was Lit By Fire" about the late Middle ages.. I did not care for that as it seemed so slanted...funny how you can have such different opinions on books by the same author...

Old 01-15-2008, 02:35 AM

1,622 posts, read 2,806,754 times
Trudeyrose:

Yes, I realize that you have a more specific time period that you prefer. My post was more of a response to the opening sentence of your post in which you asked if anyone likes reading history for enjoyment. I was not trying to hijack your thread, just offering up some suggestions to others reading it that might share interests similar to mine.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:46 AM

Sorry, I did not mean my response to come out that way..I saw on your list "Inside The Third Reich" and thought this might be a book you would enjoy. I get very excited after reading a book like that, I want to tell everyone about it !!! Happy Reading!!

Old 01-26-2008, 11:53 PM

27,236 posts, read 43,193,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Does anyone else read history just for enjoyment? I am always looking for suggestions on early German and midievel periods.
Sorry, can't help you.

The last books I read on history were "Just Curious Jeeves" on history, and Richard Shenkman's books on disinformation in American History, "Lies Legends and Cherished Myths" and "I Love Paul Revere, whether He Rode or Not"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History