Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

I'd rather see us spending money to investigate space than continue on wasting money on welfare/EBT cards and Section 8 housing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 PM

588 posts, read 796,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'd rather see us spending money to investigate space than continue on wasting money on welfare/EBT cards and Section 8 housing...
How about spending more on military than the next nine countries combined?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
To my mind. it was simply a GIANT jobs program.

We went, got a shoe box full of neat photos, and then what....

Boy, I sure wish we had that money now.

Total waste.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
How about spending more on military than the next nine countries combined?
Military applications spill over into the civilian sector...

What is the ROI on welfare, EBT cards and section 8 housing other than to keep generations of people poor?

How many people do the poor employ? What jobs do they create? What is their contribution to society?

Mankind needs to move off this mudball, it needs something to look forward to other than the SOS of religious wars, political wars, poverty wars, drug wars and racial wars...

Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM

192 posts, read 324,349 times
I would like to see people land on the moon again, for there is a whole generation which I am part of that were born after the last mission there.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM

753 posts, read 727,798 times
Quote:

What is the ROI on welfare, EBT cards and section 8 housing other than to keep generations of people poor?

How many people do the poor employ? What jobs do they create? What is their contribution to society?

Mankind needs to move off this mudball, it needs something to look forward to other than the SOS of religious wars, political wars, poverty wars, drug wars and racial wars...
Everything "spills over" into the civilian sector, including funding you dislike. You can certainly make an argument for funding A over funding B, but "Well, A spills over into the general economy, but I don't like B" is a complete non sequitor.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM

588 posts, read 796,155 times
Quote:

For people not on welfare, there are benefits to providing economic assistance to the "poor". The benefits include keeping the crime rate managable, social stability, and less costly than incarceration. I do agree that it isn't fair to be required to help people who take advantage of the system, but all of our lives might be more stressful without welfare.

The connection between welfare and crime rates in developed and developing countries would be an interesting research project.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 PM

414 posts, read 1,094,898 times
Quote:
Sad isn't it?
It's very sad. We went to the moon with less computational power than the laptop I'm typing on or even the cell phone sitting next to me. And it's a feat we haven't repeated for four decades--so it was never done within my own lifetime.

Now we have to deal with NASA administrators telling us that the primary mission is to talk about global warming, make the Muslim world feel good about its contributions and debunk December 21, 2012 myths. And we've dismantled our space program so completely we don't even have space shuttle capabilities anymore.

Sure, robots might be a more efficient means of "exploring" space, but that's no substitute for the psychological factor of actually having human beings out there. "Probes are exiting the solar system." Well great. When will we have extra-solar humans? At this rate, never. We're being timid, not reaching, not taking risks, not expanding our abilities by leaps as far as space is considered, instead we're gingerly taking a few minor steps in that arena and not looking at it as if it could ever be a reality.

Of the 1,650,000 bachelor's degrees conferred in 2009–10, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of business (358,000); social sciences and history (173,000); health professions and related programs (130,000); and education (101,000). Nothing science or even engineering-related.

At the master's degree level, the greatest numbers of degrees were conferred in the fields of education (182,000) and business (178,000).

At the doctor's degree level, the greatest number of degrees were conferred in the fields of health professions and related programs (57,700); legal professions and studies (44,600); education (9,200); engineering (7,700); biological and biomedical sciences (7,700); psychology (5,500); and physical sciences and science technologies (5,100).

So little focus on space has led to little excitement about it amongst those who are achieving even advanced degrees. We're in pitiful condition for making any further strides in human space exploration.

Now that's depressing.

So I'll leave with a little optimism. There are still some students with a vision of viable space exploration. And I'm proud of them. NNU students going back to NASA | KTVB.COM Boise

Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times
The USA is fast becoming a second rate power & welfare state....the days of space travel & such are long past for the kind of nation we are now & will devolve into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History