Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,296 times

Advertisements

I recently read a post which stated that during the early 1800’s a Comanche woman was not allowed to marry an outsider, or “white man,” except in very rare circumstances. I figured something similar but I did not realize it was that inflexible of an issue.

The reason I am asking my thread question is because I am writing a fictional book, (that it is not a historical romance,) and I have a Comanche woman married to a French-American fellow who used to work for a trader. Neither of them are lead characters in the book but they are both very important. I have woven her so deep into my story that I would rather not have to change her. But, even though it is just fictional, I still would not want anyone reading it to think it is an implausible scenario.

To help answer my question here is a quick synopsis:

The French-American man is not some old, white, fart wanting to marry a pretty young woman. He is around the same age as she is, plus he is an attractive, honest fellow with a great sense of humor and a very kind heart. If I add those qualities to the fact that he is head over heels in love with her, would this have warmed her father’s heart to him and possibly allowed him to marry her?

Also in the set of circumstances the woman is a deaf/mute. However, I never mention how she became this way or if she was born deaf due to the fact that I don’t know if deafness was an inherited issue for Comanches, or Native Americans in general back then. My thinking was that the young men in her band were fearful of her bearing deaf children to them that none of them desired to marry her, which would have been typical for any environment long ago. I did not make her deaf to set up a believable situation for the Frenchman to marry her, it was just how I made her character in the beginning, nevertheless it could help in the matter. Maybe?

She is so precious to me. I guess all writers fall in love with the characters they make up as I am with her, which is why I would rather not have to alter her. Yet if it’s just too improbable I will have to. What do you think?

I almost forgot that soon after marrying they move away from her family. I guess this could be an problem as well. I don’t include that time in their life in the book though, it is after they are in their new location.

I would very much appreciate any help, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
You appear to have already addressed the credibility issue with the deafness explanation, a circumstance which could mitigate against Comanche tradition. Whether you intended it to serve that purpose or not, it does.

And I'm thinking that you won't be receiving any complaint letters which insist that there was never a deaf Comanche woman.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Perhaps your Frenchman saved the life of his future bride's father and she was given to him in gratitude.

Another scenario - the Comanche woman was a captive of another tribe who sold her to the Frenchman. The French trapper Toussaint Charbonneau who was around at that time had two Shoshone wives who came to him in that manner.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 01-11-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 PM

To CAVA1990: Wow, you've got some interesting ideas. Thanks.

To Grandstander: Thank you for your encouragement.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
To CAVA1990: Wow, you've got some interesting ideas. Thanks.
I'm particularly interested in that period of American history in the West so am glad to help. One of my ancestors who was an early trader on the Santa Fe trail was killed by Comanches in the 1820s.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You appear to have already addressed the credibility issue with the deafness explanation, a circumstance which could mitigate against Comanche tradition. Whether you intended it to serve that purpose or not, it does.

And I'm thinking that you won't be receiving any complaint letters which insist that there was never a deaf Comanche woman.
I agree. The way that you describe their relationship it makes sense and would be believable to the reader.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 AM

24,298 posts, read 13,142,965 times
To the OP: Have you researched the history of Quanah Parker and his father and mother? An interesting perspective, although about 50 years after your proposed book.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm particularly interested in that period of American history in the West so am glad to help. One of my ancestors who was an early trader on the Santa Fe trail was killed by Comanches in the 1820s.
I'm sorry to hear that about your ancestor. I'm interested in that period of history too. Something about the rough times and struggles of everyone in that era touches me.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Ginger, I havent any advice but did want to say I hope you let us know when its published. I love period books and would love to buy one. Good luck and wishing you much success.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
To the OP: Have you researched the history of Quanah Parker and his father and mother? An interesting perspective, although about 50 years after your proposed book.
Cynthia Ann Parker, Quanah's mother, was the opposite situation. Not at all comparable. And there certainly was not "allowing" done. She was kidnapped and her parents killed when she was just a child, and raised by the tribe.

As for the original question, I don't know about the Comanches, but it happened a lot among northern tribes -- in the Pacific NW and Canada, where the French-Canadian trappers and Hudson Bay men frequented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History