Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHUGHES1962 View Post
Some people, that's stating it mildly. I was named Lee after my grandfather as was my daughter and her daughter..Anslee. Almost was named Jeff Davis being i was borned on his birthday but my folks went with bibical and family names.Also had the honor of growing-up on a street by the name of Confederate.
Well, I was even more honored having grown up on Lincoln Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:26 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
[quote=Rae1234;42103299]Some of these people. I would love a confederate name for a child with all this flag crap going around. I'm a proud Kentuckian and I'd name my child anything to do with the south!
Girls:
Laura
Catherine
Caroline
Belle
Hazel
Magnolia
Mae
Maebelle
Connie
Jane or Janie

Boy:
Travis
Ben
Rae or Ray
Edward (my great-grandfather)
Raymond (my father)
Richmond
John
James
Alben (great uncle)
Lester (other great-grandfather)[/QUOTE

Nice names, but I do hope you are aware that Kentucky was a border state during the Civil War, and never left the Union. People of both persuasions lived in Kentucky then - often within the same family.

Genealogically speaking, I am about as Southern as you can get (and another "proud Kentuckian"), and I have no problem with naming your daughter "Magnolia" if that is what you like, but I don't understand saddling a child with a name with heavily political overtones.

Naming a child is considerably different than flying a flag (of any kind) on your own flagpole, on your own property.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 11-30-2015 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-30-2015, 11:36 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae1234 View Post
Some of these people. I would love a confederate name for a child with all this flag crap going around. I'm a proud Kentuckian and I'd name my child anything to do with the south!
Girls:
Laura
Catherine
Caroline

Belle
Hazel
Magnolia
Mae
Maebelle
Connie
Jane or Janie

Boy:
Travis
Ben
Rae or Ray
Edward (my great-grandfather)
Raymond (my father)
Richmond
John
James

Alben (great uncle)
Lester (other great-grandfather)
Those are all good names.

I bolded ones that I think are just as common (or at the very least not unusual) in the North from my experience. Also, I think Hazel is, or was at one time, a popular name in the Midwest

Old 11-30-2015, 11:52 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
My four 19th century-born Southern g-grandmothers were all given the first name "Mary": Mary Caroline (Tennessee), Mary Jane (Arkansas), Mary Johnston (Virginia, her mother's maiden name) and Mary Frances (Virginia).

If you want to give your daughter a Southern name, try Mary Virginia, Mary Carolina or Mary Georgia. Georgia Marie sounds better, as does Carolina Marie, however, though these variations are a little "frilly" for my taste. Mary Louisiana could become Mary Lou for short. Mary Mississippi, Mary Maryland, Mary Kentucky and Tennessee Mary just don't work, nor does Arkansas Marie. I have seen Texana used. Sounds better than it looks, but still - unfortunate.

There's always Dixie Lee, who was my father's secretary back in the 1950s, the same time Georgia Lee was a family friend of my parents. Both ladies were likely born in the early 1930s. Dixie Belle was our local dairy...

Clay works for a boy - that sticky red stuff that is ubiquitous throughout much of the Old South, plus Henry Clay, Kentucky's Great Compromiser who delayed the onset of the Civil War by many years with his peace-making, middle-ground-finding skills. Jackson, with various tryndeigh spellings, is extremely popular for boys at present. Jackson, Jaxon, Jaksen...they're found in multiples in every kindergarten.

"Jefferson" would work nicely - "Jeff" for short. Both Clay and Jefferson are political names, but they are not incendiary or weird.

Tests for naming the baby (or a cat or dog, for that matter): Stand at the back door and shout, "First Name Middle Name Last Name, come into the house right this minute!" and see how it resonates. Beware inadvertent initials: Walter Oliver Williams is a nice name; WOW are not great initials. Nor is Patricia Irving Gates a good choice. Beware the impact of nicknames: Benjamin Dover sounds good, until you change Benjamin to Ben and combine it with Dover. Oops. Also don't use Kelly if your last name is Green. If your surname is a noun, choose your child's given names with extreme care. If your surname is difficult to spell or pronounce, use a simple, classic first name. No Esmeralda Iphagenia Kiekhaefers or names that sound more like Cabbage Patch Kid baby dolls than real children.

Consider how the name will serve your child over his or her lifetime. Bambi or Bunny may be cute as can be for your baby girl with those big brown eyes, but Granny Bambi may be a little burned out by it seventy years hence. Check the popularity charts, and avoid the top ten, along with those on the rise in the ten to twenty range. Give your child a formal name legally - you can use the nickname for everyday, but allow the dignity of Margaret instead of Maggie, Thomas instead of Tommy. Before using a random surname as a first or second given name, check your family tree - there are bound to be some attractive names there which actually have a connection to your family and won't confuse later genealogists who may wonder where that random surname originated.

Much to consider - but then, so is having a child, and giving that child a thoughtful, workable name is a gift that will last a lifetime. Saddling a child with an oddball, trendy, peculiar, or politically weighted name does not do that child a favor, and may well lead to significant resentment in the years ahead.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 11-30-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 06:31 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
my sister name Rosielee "rose e lee" as in robert e lee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History