Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Shirley was originally a male name, way back in the 18th and 19th centuries. Since the stardom of Shirley Temple, I think nearly all Shirleys are females nowadays.

Same thing about Ashley. Remember Ashley Wilkes from Gone With The Wind? I think nearly all Ashleys are female nowadays. Ashley was played by actor Leslie Howard, and come to think of it Leslie is no longer a name given much to boys, those boys who have that name prefer to be called Les.
Marion being another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I do have a (female) ancestor that was named Tennessee.
My friend has a nephew named Tennessee. I have no idea why. She's from New Jersey.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Shirley was originally a male name, way back in the 18th and 19th centuries. Since the stardom of Shirley Temple, I think nearly all Shirleys are females nowadays.

Same thing about Ashley. Remember Ashley Wilkes from Gone With The Wind? I think nearly all Ashleys are female nowadays. Ashley was played by actor Leslie Howard, and come to think of it Leslie is no longer a name given much to boys, those boys who have that name prefer to be called Les.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Marion being another
Beverly and Vivian were also first male names.

Nowadays we have female Kyles and Seans.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Here are a few that may resonate with the OP

Luralene
Ellie Mae
Dixie
Mae Ella
Delta
Earlene
Marvelana
Destinee Dawn
Brindi Rose
Carolina
Myra Gayle
Gaylene
Krystel
Bianca - it means white
Albina - means the same thing
Guenevere - also means white
Fayette
Aryana
Lee
Wiladene

Boys

George
Wallace
Bull
Simon
Earl
Duke
Wayne
Trigg
Lynch - Scots - Irish family name
Wayne
Jethro
Jeb
Judd
Jug
Brick
Robert
Travis
Billy
Bob
Billy Bob
Doyle
Jerry
Lee
Forsythe
Reb
Mc Coy
Blade
Hunt
Hatfield - Hat for short

Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Thanks for all the names. Right now we like Bentley Jamison for a boy and Brooklyn Estelle for a girl. Although I like Savannah as well for a girl and Jasper for a boy.

To me, Jasper sounds to girlish. There is a stone and a flower by that name. It also sounds like whisper.
Wat too soft.

Brooklyn sounds Northern like Brooklyn NY - you don't want that

Bentley sounds fussy and British. Like the car. You don't want that either.

Savannah is southern. Double names for girls sound southern. Add Mae or Rae to a name and that is very Southern. You have Shelby and Moxley - Mox for short.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Beverly and Vivian were also first male names.

Nowadays we have female Kyles and Seans.
I know, my son is named Tristan, and all of a sudden girls are popping up with that name, ugh!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Here are a few that may resonate with the OP

Luralene
Ellie Mae
Dixie
Mae Ella
Delta
Earlene
Marvelana
Destinee Dawn
Brindi Rose
Carolina
Myra Gayle
Gaylene
Krystel
Bianca - it means white
Albina - means the same thing
Guenevere - also means white
Fayette
Aryana
Lee
Wiladene

Boys

George
Wallace
Bull
Simon
Earl
Duke
Wayne
Trigg
Lynch - Scots - Irish family name
Wayne
Jethro
Jeb
Judd
Jug
Brick
Robert
Travis
Billy
Bob
Billy Bob
Doyle
Jerry
Lee
Forsythe
Reb
Mc Coy
Blade
Hunt
Hatfield - Hat for short
The male names are not very subtle and the female names, some I may have heard of once in my 70 years and some none at all.....where did you get these lists....LOL.

eta: Alba Plena also means white. The name of a very old fashioned camillia....<s>

Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I'm not 70 but I've heard most of them. I'm not a big fan of names of recent vintage like those. They remind me of something out of Petticoat Junction, Beverly Hillbillies or Lil' Orphan Annie.

Ever notice how many serial killers have Wayne or Lee as a middle name? Best to steer clear of those.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm not 70 but I've heard most of them. I'm not a big fan of names of recent vintage like those. They remind me of something out of Petticoat Junction, Beverly Hillbillies or Lil' Orphan Annie.

Ever notice how many serial killers have Wayne or Lee as a middle name? Best to steer clear of those.
John Wilkes Booth inadvertently set the standard for assassin identification by a person's full name. Booth did indeed go by all three of his names, done to honor his namesake, John Wilkes, the British radical and member of Parliament.

Ever since, assassins who normally were known by just their first and last names, such as Lee Oswald or Mark Chapman, became in the media Lee Harvey Oswald and Mark David Chapman. Since the rest of us never heard of these people until they were introduced to us as three name killers, we all have gone along with those media identifications.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Carol Ann, LeAnn, anything with "Ann" at the end

Dixie Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History