Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:51 PM

336 posts, read 378,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That probably wasn't the case in Texas in the 1950s. Mexicans were never considered "white" in Texas and some other parts of the Southwest at that time. They were maybe a rung up the ladder from blacks. Mexicans and Mexican Americans (Chicanos) were treated better in places like New Mexico and Colorado, and in the GP states but that's a lot like saying that blacks in NYC and LA were treated better than in the South. They still had it bad enough.
Both my parents grew up in different parts of Texas during the 1950s (and moved around). Both had Hispanics in virtually all of their classes from elementary through college (undergraduate). According to my parents, they were treated like whites. Asians were few in number, but also present at their schools.

Neither of my parents attended a school with African Americans until graduate school, out-of-state, in the early 70s.

Last edited by VAGeek; 01-25-2014 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:47 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I knew a guy (he's dead now) whose mother was Korean. His father was Irish-American. He grew up in the fifties, and occasionally they would get hate phone calls or anonymous threatening letters sent to the house, and once someone threw a rock through their living room window. This was in suburban New Jersey.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:56 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Mexican-Americans had to form their own veterans' organization called the "American G.I. Forum" after a funeral home in a small south Texas town in the 1940s refused to bury a Hispanic soldier who was killed during World War II.
I just watched the story of Dr. Hector Garcia, the founder of the American GI forum. It was so interesting. It was on PBS.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
When I watch old tv shows of the 50/60's, all we really see is the lifestyles of mostly white families. Once in a blue moon, we see blacks and we hear how segregation and racism was bad and so forth for them. What I never see/read/ or hear about it how was it like for the other minorities specifically the Asians and Hispanics during that time? Were they facing the same problems as the blacks back then? How was life for them during that period?
The discrimination against Latinos in Texas and the Southwest was quite common and they were also lynched as well.

Lynched Mexicans in the United States between 1880 and 1930 | Legally Sociable

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journ...lemongrove.htm

Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I remember hearing on a documentary that marijuana was prohibited largely due to the large numbers of Hispanics who smoked it. Perhaps that was a form of persecution.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
The Mexicans (known specifically as Chicanos who started this movement), were fighting for equality. The Japanese were dealing with the aftermath of the Internment Camps, the Native Americans were dealing with the aftermath of the boarding schools they were sent to (a few were probably still being forced to go in the fifties).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History