Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times

Advertisements

Well worth a watch, especially as today marks the anniversary of something which is still seen by some as controversial.

BBC News - Dresden survivor's story
Quote:
Sixty-eight years ago today, British and American Air Forces dropped more than 2,600 tonnes of high-explosive bombs on the German town of Dresden.
The fire storm it unleashed destroyed six square miles of the city centre and killed an estimated 25,000 people. The campaign has become known as one of the most controversial operations of the allied forces.
Victor Gregg, now 92, was a soldier in the 10th Parachute regiment when he was captured and sent for execution in Dresden on the day the air raids began. He was being held in a warehouse when the bombs started falling.
He told BBC News about his experiences.
Also an interesting interview with 'Bomber' Harris.

BBC News - Bomber Harris defends WWII bomber command in rare film
Quote:
Arthur Harris led RAF Bomber Command in World War II, earning him the nickname 'Bomber Harris'.
The British policy of 'area' bombing German cities including Cologne and Dresden made him a hugely controversial figure.
BBC Inside Out has gained exclusive access to a rare interview with the Cheltenham-born RAF commander which has never been seen by the public.
After 35 years of collecting dust in the RAF's film archive, the film was tracked down by retired Air Vice Marshall Tony Mason who interviewed the commander in 1977.
In the interview Harris shoots down the myth that the controversial 'area' bombing was his idea and says it was already government policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 PM

306 posts, read 758,278 times
I visited Dresden in 2010. They aren't as friendly to Americans as they are in Leipzig and it is noticable. The outskirts of the city are still dilapidated.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default Interesting

A most interesting interview, Baldrick, thanks for posting it. I was very surprised by the statement that the British people were opposed to the carpet bombing of German cities, particularly since they had been victims, less sucessfully, of the same thing.

When we visited London in 2006, we stayed near the Victoria and Albert Museum in Kennsington. There are still holes in the pedestrian wall around it where chunks were blown out from either bombing or V1's and V2's.

And when I lived over there as a young tike (my father was USAF) we stayed for awhile in a hotel, where the lady who owned it took me to the bomb shelter built right on the premises for her family and guests. It wouldn't have held more than about twenty people max, but was about three quarters underground with a double row of concrete blocks. I remember going there to sit sometimes and pondering over what it might feel like to know planes were dropping bombs onto the city.

I wonder what the reasoning was by the English citizens opposed such bombing when they had already suffered tremendously themselves from Germany's bombing?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:51 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Interesting books on the bombing of Germany:

Richard Overy on The Fire: The Bombing of Germany, 1940-1945 by By Jrg Friedrich and Inferno: The Devastation of Hamburg, 1943 By Keith Lowe Literary Review -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History