Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,114 times

Advertisements

Anyone care to estimate the lengths these expeditions traveled? TIA

Diaz's voyage to the Cape of Good Hope

Columbus's journeys to what he thought were the Spice Islands

Drake's circumnavigation

Balboa's voyage to Caribbean

De Gama's voyage to India

Pizarro's voyage from Isthmus of Panama to
wherever he landed in South America. Didn't he sail with Balboa from Spain?

Cortez's voyage to Mexico...included significant overland travel.

Magellan's circumnavigation... I understand to be 60,000 miles. If incorrect, please speak up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:21 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
I know that Christopher (which way to New Delhi?) Columbus' flagship, the Santa Maria made a one-way trip, as he wrecked it near Haiti on the way back. Uh oh, Queen Isabella is going to be mad!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:51 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Way too much work.

Ken

Old 01-29-2008, 03:55 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
What always amazed me was how they carried enough water for these journeys. I know when they had a chance they replenished at shore but sometimes when they sailed in unchartered waters they weren't certain where fresh water was.

As someone who was in the Navy i admire those early sailors and the hardships they went thru.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
I'm sure that's why they would carry so many wooden barrels and pray for rain. Whenever it would rain out at sea they could capture water dropping down some sails and using them as water collectors and funnel the rain into the barrels.

Regardless of how history has judged many of these early oceanic explorers, nobody can argue about the incredible courage they had. Imagine sailing in a relatively small wooden ship of that era out into the ocean and over the horizon, with no real idea of where you were heading to, what would be there when you arrive, how far you were going, how long it would take or if you would survive and return home!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Regardless of how history has judged many of these early oceanic explorers, nobody can argue about the incredible courage they had. Imagine sailing in a relatively small wooden ship of that era out into the ocean and over the horizon, with no real idea of where you were heading to, what would be there when you arrive, how far you were going, how long it would take or if you would survive and return home!
Yeah, and think of those early Polynesians who sailed across the largest body of water on earth (with even more primative equipment) and settled on the most remote (ie most distant from a large land mass) islands on earth - a little cluster of islands they called Havaiki (after their legendary homeland) - which we now know of course as Hawaii.

Brave folks, every one.

Ken

Old 01-29-2008, 10:02 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Don't forget the Vikings, small open boats and a lot of lousy weather in the North Atlantic. They were amazing!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
What always amazed me was how they carried enough water for these journeys. I know when they had a chance they replenished at shore but sometimes when they sailed in unchartered waters they weren't certain where fresh water was.

As someone who was in the Navy i admire those early sailors and the hardships they went thru.
Yep wooden ships and iron men!!!!! Now days it's the other day around

P.S. I was a sailor so don't bust on me it's a joke!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History