Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Look at the bright side, he may have been responsible for killing more human
beings, than anyone else who ever lived.
Source, phleeease...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM

337 posts, read 930,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well I don't think it matters all that much in this particular situation, Josef K.
If you look at this initial list of "Famous Russians," you'll notice quite a few non-Russian names; Polish, Jewish, German, French, Armenian...even one Scottish name and what's not)))

There's a difference; Stalin was always Georgian and not Russian, whether by Tsarist or Soviet nationality policy.

It's easy to name Russians of German, Polish, Armenian etc. descent, but that's something different.

The point I'm trying to make is that Stalin is more a Soviet than a Russian phenomenon. His popularity is also high in Central Asia I believe.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
There's a difference; Stalin was always Georgian and not Russian, whether by Tsarist or Soviet nationality policy.

It's easy to name Russians of German, Polish, Armenian etc. descent, but that's something different.
No, not really - they could be either of different descents, or just foreign-born, precisely as Stalin. ( They've simply russified their names - that's all;
Here is couple of examples - see? Their REAL names are given also, not only their Russian names.

Барклай-де-Толли, Михаил Богданович — Википедия

Беллинсгаузе ½, Фаддей Фаддеевич — Википедия

Айвазовский, Иван Константинов ич — Википедия

Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
PS. Josef, it's just when I was reading so many books on Russian history and art in my childhood, tripping so often over strange names difficult for pronunciation and unfamiliar to my ear - well, I started getting a clue and looking into who these people really were))))

Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM

337 posts, read 930,038 times
Quote:
No, not really - they could be either of different descents, or just foreign-born, precisely as Stalin.
The folks you mention were all rossiyane (subjects of the Tsar), and not russkiye (ethnic Russians). I suppose Stalin would count in the first category, but definitely not in the second. That all became moot, however, after the October Revolution.

How to answer this question: presumably Stalin's nationality was listed on some official form, as with every citizen of the USSR. What was it? I'm pretty sure it was Georgian, unless he changed it later in life.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
The folks you mention were all rossiyane (subjects of the Tsar), and not russkiye (ethnic Russians). I suppose Stalin would count in the first category, but definitely not in the second. That all became moot, however, after the October Revolution.

How to answer this question: presumably Stalin's nationality was listed on some official form, as with every citizen of the USSR. What was it? I'm pretty sure it was Georgian, unless he changed it later in life.
Nooooo Josef - it did not become moot after the October Revolution; quite au contraire))))
Everyone retained the nationality; Stalin hasn't been known as anything BUT Georgian, and that's what would be listed on his official form.
After all where do you think Jewish Republic of Birobidjan came from? Everyone ( with certain nationality) had their own land, only Jews didn't have any. With God been thoroughly abolished, no one would speak about Palestine, so lo and behold, Jews were alloted their own historic Soviet homeland)))
And where do you think the "refusniks" came from in the 70ies? Precisely from the same mole; everyone had infamous "line number 5" in their passports - meaning nationality. As Stalin's was Georgian, theirs was "Jew."
From what I understood, it all became moot only after the nineties.

PS. I've noticed now that older Soviet passports (before 1974) were stating not only nationality, but social class as well...
PS.PS. Nope, I take it back - line #5 ( nationality) was on official forms (job application and so forth.)
Nationality was in passports anyways.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
OKkkkk...
But if so many keep on voting for this particular "most famous" person,
wouldn't that make him the most popular leader/person in Russian history?
Most famous and most popular aren't necessarily interchangeable. Consider Ty Cobb, the most famous ballplayer of his era, but also among the least popular.

Or if Americans were asked to name one actor from the 19th Century, I'm sure that John Wilkes Booth would be mentioned more than anyone, but he is unlikely to win any popularity polls.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Y'all have no idea what you talking about. This is said respectfully and with no offense intended. All you know about him and the country is what propaganda allows you to know. Even Russian and ex- USSR folks know little about what he had accomplished and why, and only parts of it is coming out, trickling through, and being shut down almost immediately in media. As those he fought and kicked out of the country in 30s and later, and those who actually caused famine, are still in power in the most of the world.
Instead of hanging all cats and dogs onto him, maybe you should find the truth about what one Leiba Bronstein and Jacob Sverdlov have done to the country, selling it out into concessions to the money bags of the world, and how they, in their turn, unleashed embargos and starvation onto that country, the very moment he kicked him out and they started loosing their profits.
There is much more to the history, the true one, of that part of the world, that neither one of you ever heard about, and likely never will, unless the mighty traders will fall, and the truth will come out. That being said, don't forget, that you likely never heard of de-farming America, which was followed by American holodomor, and know little about concentration camps here too.
Be well.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
. As those he fought and kicked out of the country in 30s and later, and those who actually caused famine, are still in power in the most of the world. .
They must be quite elderly.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The fifties seem more envy and idealized that ever alos . Despite the not payig attentio to so mnay bwho were misterable in thsoe times.Memory especailly whe you did live the events is often very selective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History