Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Purges, persecution and famines don't diminish Josef Vissarionovich Stalin popularity in Russia 60 years after his death and revelations.

Dictator Stalin voted third most popular Russian | Reuters

Josef Stalin: revered and reviled in modern Russia - Telegraph

Stalin sees a surge in popularity - survey | POLITICS | The Moscow News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
The first link, and the title of the article indicates that it was a popularity contest, but the article actually states that it was:
Quote:
The "Name of Russia" contest
...which suggests the criteria was fame, not likability or admiration. There is no additional clarification which would settle this.

The same linked article explains Stalin's vote drawing attraction:
Quote:
he defeated Nazi Germany, industrialized the Soviet Union and achieved total literacy across a backward peasant nation.
Followed immediately by one of the all time understatements:
Quote:
Of course, there were also dark pages
...which sort of reminded me of the joke..."Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The first link, and the title of the article indicates that it was a popularity contest, but the article actually states that it was:

...which suggests the criteria was fame, not likability or admiration. There is no additional clarification which would settle this.

The same linked article explains Stalin's vote drawing attraction:

Followed immediately by one of the all time understatements:

...which sort of reminded me of the joke..."Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"
It is what it is Grandstander...
He was voted as the most popular leader of the country in history ( or the second or third - whatever the alarmed organizers of the poll) were trying to make out of it.
I can totally see why it's happening; his victims are long gone, but the memory of his achievements is alive.
Since the majority of Russians detest today's capitalism that put them in the rank of the third-world country (back where Russia used to be before Stalin,) they think of him ( or rather the idea of his achievements) with fondness now. If anything else, it's a strong message to today's Russian government, that's why the organizers of this poll on TV were so concerned and lamented about it to no end. The message is essentially about their incompetence and corruption that Stalin ( at least supposedly) wouldn't have put up with.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It is what it is Grandstander...
He was voted as the most popular leader of the country in history.
"It is what it is" isn't ever a helpful insight, and it is especially devoid of utility when the problem has been identified as lack of clarity.

The headline suggested that it was a popularity contest, the name of the contest suggest that it is fame based. Since the article offered no further clarification, which of these it truly is remains an unknown.

You state that it was popularity as though there was no contradiction at hand.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
The headline suggested that it was a popularity contest, the name of the contest suggest that it is fame based. Since the article offered no further clarification, which of these it truly is remains an unknown.
Let's get beyond the headline or the links since I posted them in haste, but the fact remains, Stalin remains an admired force by present day Russians and this is not some new phenomenon but has bee noticed since the collapse of the Soviet Union. That is the purpose of the thread, to discuss how a person so reviled by the rest of the world can remain to be viewed as one of Russia's greatest leaders

Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:

I have no idea where this "fame" criteria came from.
This whole voting was about the most popular leader of the country based on merits and achievements, not "fame."

(I suspect the word "fame" is more reserved for writers/painters/actors in Russian.)

Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let's get beyond the headline or the links since I posted them in haste, but the fact remains, Stalin remains an admired force by present day Russians and this is not some new phenomenon but has bee noticed since the collapse of the Soviet Union. That is the purpose of the thread, to discuss how a person so reviled by the rest of the world can remain to be viewed as one of Russia's greatest leaders
Good point.
It's quite an interesting controversy.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I have no idea where this "fame" criteria came from.
The contest was called "The Name of Russia." Now perhaps that means something specific to Russians which we are unaware and they need no further clarification to understand the criteria. We have to guess at what that criteria was supposed to be. The Most Famous Person" seems to fit "Name of Russia" better than most popular, but again, I am guessing.

If you were confronted with a contest called "Name of America" and no explanation was provided as to what that meant, would you be thinking they were after names like Washington and Lincoln? Or after names like Elvis and Buffalo Bill?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The contest was called "The Name of Russia." Now perhaps that means something specific to Russians which we are unaware and they need no further clarification to understand the criteria. We have to guess at what that criteria was supposed to be. The Most Famous Person" seems to fit "Name of Russia" better than most popular, but again, I am guessing.

If you were confronted with a contest called "Name of America" and no explanation was provided as to what that meant, would you be thinking they were after names like Washington and Lincoln? Or after names like Elvis and Buffalo Bill?

I am sorry I'm taking for granted things that are obvious to me, and assume that they should be obvious for everyone.
No, "The name of Russia" would never imply the equivalents of Elvis or Buffalo Bill.
Only the likes of Washington and Lincoln - meaning heavy-weights only. Russians have very clear priorities in these matters.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I am sorry I'm taking for granted things that are obvious to me, and assume that they should be obvious for everyone.
No, "The name of Russia" would never imply the equivalents of Elvis or Buffalo Bill.
Only the likes of Washington and Lincoln - meaning heavy-weights only. Russians have very clear priorities in these matters.
Somehow it is clear to you even in the absence of any sort of clarification. That might be a consequence of your head slapping habit.

Suppose now I announce that all along, I meant "Name of America" was meant to identify the one American who most truly represents the American character. What had been so obvious to you now turns out to be wrong.

My position is that we are absent the criteria employed by the contest...and we are absent it. You think it is unneeded and I think that it is critical to understanding just what it was the Russians were deciding with their votes. You think it is proper to reach conclusions without all the evidence, I do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History