Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Assassinations.
Riots.
Viet Nam
Anti-war protests.
Burning bras.
Burning draft cards.
Tet.
Cold War.
USS Mayaguez.
Inflation.
The Fall of Saigon.
Watergate.
The Draft.
Oil Embargo.
I was a tad to young to be bothered by much of what NBP posted, except my husband getting drafted for Nam. (married way too young) I experienced most of what others have posted and look back and think it was awesome to grow up in a time of no fear of anything. IMO we "Baby Boomers" were blessed with the best darned childhood any generation has had.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:48 PM

62 posts, read 116,913 times
Growing up in the 60's and 70's was awesome, even though we were poor, we found tons of ways to have free fun. Our favorites were swinging on grapevines like Tarzan, playing in the creek, building forts in the woods, catching frogs in the pond, picking berries, and wild mint, climbing trees, and exploring the "Indian cave" my brother's found while exploring one day. We fished and swam in the summer and ice-skated and went sled riding and played wagon wheel in the winter. We had tons of cousins around so there were always plenty of playmates. We belonged to a church that did wonderful activities with the kids like day trips to major league baseball games, the zoo, horseback riding and hiking in the mountains, visits to caverns and historic sights and monthly roller skating. In the summer we always had several neighborhood Bible Clubs for the younger kids. And we could always round up our youth group friends for volleyball and badminton.
Even though there was a lot of turmoil going on in the world , in our close knit little town, parents kept their children shielded from as much as possible. I wish my kids could have had the kind of childhood we did. It was always so much better when all the parents of the neighborhood kids kept a watch out for all the kids and had permission (and were expected) to call out any child who was misbehaving whether it was your kid or not.

We had a little country store that was operated by four elderly brothers who never married, and they were always handing out candy to us. It was such a quaint little place and even though they sold feminine hygiene products, they wrapped each product in plain brown paper and kept it behind the counter so it wasn't where people would see it ROFL! I remember when I turned six I begged my dad to let me walk to the store alone, so he sent me to get him a pack of Pall Malls. Could you imagine that happening today?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,479 times
For a quarter you could get a bag of penny candy and a bottle of coke.

Where I lived we would have scavenger hunts for 32oz soda bottles so they be returned for the deposit so we could buy some candy or gum. That was our treasure hunt, an adventure we could live out while telling tall tales to our friends.

My folks could drive around all week on a dollar's worth of gas.

Watching each space launch with excitement and anticipation of the next one.

The imagination of a little boy was his favorite toy.

It's ten o'clock, do you know where your children are?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM

127 posts, read 534,655 times
People were enjoying The Brady Bunch and Sesame Street for the first time. Oscar the Grouch was actually orange.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
We moved at a more dilbreate pace prior to the 60's as if we cut out all extranious bs and lived as we needed to live to make it through life.

the 60's and 70's really chanded peoples perception of Ameirca and the World.

WWII was the catalyst for the most change in this nation since the industrial revolution in the late 1800's.

We were on a sugar high from the late 40's to mid 70's...

Old 01-19-2017, 04:48 PM

62 posts, read 87,180 times
I grew up in the 60's, graduated from HS in 66. Wow, things were so different. I lived an hour from NYC so we got lots of new styles hitting the scene. I remember we wore sneakers with stockings and skirts and blouses, sweaters and dresses, garter belts, desert boots with stockings were a hit in high school, Dr. Kildare or Ben Casey blouses (I loved mine) white and buttoned at the neck and down the side, pointy toe sneakers, kilts with a large gold safety pin, poor boy sweaters (short sleeve and ribbed), mohair sweaters, velour shirts, guys wore skinny ties in black, and tight tapered pants, italian knit shirts, boot-looking leather shoes, beatle hair, girls teased their hair to be full, flipped on the ends (curlers slept on at night), walking around with scarves over our rollered hair and that was cool, usually on Saturdays before the dance at Knights of Columbus. Okay what else, as a youngster, playing jump rope with someone on either end, double dutch, hop scotch, red light, green light, hide and seek, staying out till the street light came on. On Saturdays and after our homework on weekdays, we went outside until called in for supper. My mom used to beep the horn on the car for me to hear to come home. Later, after graduation, going to local companies place to place putting job applications in, sometimes none needed until later. "Can you use some help?", "Im looking for a secretarial job, do you have one available?" All in person. Then they handed you a application and they called you to come in in a few days. Anti-war songs were popular because of the Vietnam War. Hearing about a classmates who died there, the hippie movement, flower children, people "doing their own thing", having their own "bag." Oh yeah, all the stores were closed on Sundays. Going to a matinee movie on Saturday afternoon cost 25 cents and candy bars were a nickle each. Well, thats all for now, I may think of more later I'm sure. Who else??

Old 01-22-2017, 09:39 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Since these "Decade" threads have nothing to do with History (the topic of this forum), we are closing them every time one gets resurrected.

History forum moderators
mensaguy & PJSinger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History