U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 AM

14,781 posts, read 38,455,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
The only republics that were taken over forcibly I believe are the Baltic states and East Germany. Maybe Poland as well.
There were 14 Republics and the only ones officially conquered were Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. However, at the official founding of the USSR in 1922 there were only three Republics: Russia, Ukraine and Byelorus. The remaining 11 were created and it was their Soviet appointed governments, often composed entirely of Russian Soviets or local ethnic ardent communists, that officially joined the USSR. For instance, the Uzbek SSR was one of the five states carved out along ethnic lines in Central Asia. When it was created, it's government was appointed by Moscow to oversee the territory. Basically, what I was saying was rather tongue-in-cheek. Of the 14 Republics; 11 were created and/or conquered and their membership, despite Soviet propaganda, was not some unilateral desire but was imposed on them from Moscow.

The next category were the satellite states. These were nations the Soviet Union gained control of following WW2 and established Moscow aligned communist governments in, backed with Russian military force. While "sovereign" on paper, the nations were entirely beholden to the whims of Moscow. Those nations were: Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary, Mongolia, Poland and Albania. These states also formed the alliance body known as the Warsaw Pact.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 AM

18,996 posts, read 15,836,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There were 14 Republics and the only ones officially conquered were Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. However, at the official founding of the USSR in 1922 there were only three Republics: Russia, Ukraine and Byelorus. The remaining 11 were created and it was their Soviet appointed governments, often composed entirely of Russian Soviets or local ethnic ardent communists, that officially joined the USSR. For instance, the Uzbek SSR was one of the five states carved out along ethnic lines in Central Asia. When it was created, it's government was appointed by Moscow to oversee the territory. Basically, what I was saying was rather tongue-in-cheek. Of the 14 Republics; 11 were created and/or conquered and their membership, despite Soviet propaganda, was not some unilateral desire but was imposed on them from Moscow.

The next category were the satellite states. These were nations the Soviet Union gained control of following WW2 and established Moscow aligned communist governments in, backed with Russian military force. While "sovereign" on paper, the nations were entirely beholden to the whims of Moscow. Those nations were: Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary, Mongolia, Poland and Albania. These states also formed the alliance body known as the Warsaw Pact.
15 NJ, 15. There were 15 republics)))

Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
15 NJ, 15. There were 15 republics)))
Yes, you are correct....

Russia, Ukraine, Byelorus, Uzbek, Turkmen, Tajik, Kazakh, Azerbaijan, Goergian, Kirghiz, Amernian, Moldavian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian

Of course that's not even getting into all of the ASSR's and the handful of ones that were created, realigned, disintegrated, etc. over the years.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM

18,094 posts, read 15,667,090 times
Quote:
There were 14 Republics and the only ones officially conquered were Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.
Maybe they were just reconquering? They did belong to the Russian Empire before.

Quote:
For instance, the Uzbek SSR was one of the five states carved out along ethnic lines in Central Asia.
Not exactly; the divisions actually split through ethnic groups. That is why you have for example, a large presence of Uzbeks in S. Kyrgyzstan, and the present Georgian borders.

Quote:
Of the 14 Republics; 11 were created and/or conquered and their membership, despite Soviet propaganda, was not some unilateral desire but was imposed on them from Moscow.
I look through history and I see most places were conquererd by some country at some point in time, I do not see anything unusual about this.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,341,394 times
Quote:
East Germany was never one of the republics in the USSR; it was a satellite state, sorry.
The Baltic states however were taken forcibly before the war. Stalin basically claimed back the old territories of Russian empire before the WWII.
Just as he tried, and failed, to take Finland. I suppose that if he had succeeded in incorporating Finland into the USSR, our Soviet apologist friends would be insisting that the Finns joined voluntarily too.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Just as he tried, and failed, to take Finland.
I can't say that I blame Stalin ( under the circumstances) for his attempt; look at the distance between St.Petersburg and Finnish border.

Quote:
I suppose that if he had succeeded in incorporating Finland into the USSR, our Soviet apologist friends would be insisting that the Finns joined voluntarily too.
Pretty much.
I can already picture the text in Soviet text-books for school-children; "Following the request of the workers and peasants of Finland, Soviet troops liberated Finland from the threat and hostilities of imperialist Sweden on November 30th, 1939."

( Now when I think about it - there was something like that in our school books regarding Baltic countries...
Oh, I remember now! We've studied three text-books on history that year, and I had to ( urgently) review the particular one with all the material on WWII before the final exam. I was in a rush, and couldn't figure out right away which one it was exactly; I'd always assumed that it was the one that was starting with the description of attack on Brest in 1941, but instead whenever I'd opened that text-book (that I thought was the right one) - it was always starting with "Liberation of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania".
So I thought all right, that's already the end of the war, ( if it's liberation, right?) so where is the beginning of the war, in which text-book? It was driving me nuts for quite some time until I finally figured out that.. well.. - that's what they've meant by "liberation." . And it was the right text-book and I had to be patient to get to attack on Brest, that took place five pages later.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Maybe they were just reconquering? They did belong to the Russian Empire before.
...and before that they were independent regions of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. After WW1 those states asked for, fought for and received independence and sovereign recognition. Those states were never "Russian".

Quote:
Not exactly; the divisions actually split through ethnic groups. That is why you have for example, a large presence of Uzbeks in S. Kyrgyzstan, and the present Georgian borders.
The stated goal when the divisions were made was to "best capture" ethnic groups within their own republics. Of course, the people drawing the lines also had other motivations.

Quote:
I look through history and I see most places were conquererd by some country at some point in time, I do not see anything unusual about this.
It's not unusual. The entire topic was basically a joke. GreyKarast intoned that the "republics of the Soviet Union joined freely and were never forced to". That was the basic Soviet propaganda, but it wasn't true. The Russo-Soviet appointed governments of the Russo-Soviet created republics "freely" joined the Soviet Union. It's basically the same as saying that the Sudetenland "freely" joined the Nazi Reich.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
...and before that they were independent regions of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. After WW1 those states asked for, fought for and received independence and sovereign recognition. Those states were never "Russian".
And *before* Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was trying to claim Russian throne ( when Russia nearly collapsed both for external and internal reasons,) in what has been known in Russian history as "turbulent times." And then Poland has been partitioned like three times.
So I think it's correct to say that Stalin basically reclaimed the former lands of Russian Empire that used to belong to it before WWI.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
And *before* Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was trying to claim Russian throne ( when Russia nearly collapsed both for external and internal reasons,) in what has been known in Russian history as "turbulent times." And then Poland has been partitioned like three times.
So I think it's correct to say that Stalin basically reclaimed the former lands of Russian Empire that used to belong to it before WWI.
For simplicity sake, yes. Of course "reclaim" also semi-implies that the people who lived there were in favor of such a move; which they certainly weren't.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM

18,094 posts, read 15,667,090 times
The people in the Confederacy withdrew from the US, which led to the US Civil War. Those people were not in favor of being with the US, yet were forced to.

I hate diving into history for examples due to context differences, but I think this is needed because I think (my opinion) the hype over the Soviet's claim of the Baltic states is mostly politically driven more so than ethically driven; if it was the UK that did so, little to nothing would be said. If the Soviet's were a US ally, nothing would be said, no one would care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History