U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 AM

10,002 posts, read 9,473,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
You know, our multinational country as well as for you. But we have for each other was always the same friendly and equal treatment. We did not have seats for black, yellow and white. And what about the camps all across America for Native Americans (which you call the reservation) We could not get a degree from the University regardless of skin color. How is it possible to formally give a person the status of second-class citizens?
Yeah that good old "equal treatment." How exactly did that work out for people like the Kalmyks and Chechens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

There may be an occasional young woman kidnapped from Ukraine and dragged into Russia, but that would be the extent to any immigration problem.
Actually Russia does have a fair amount of illegal immigration. Mostly from places like Turkmenistan, and Tajikstan.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 AM

18,094 posts, read 15,667,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yeah that good old "equal treatment." How exactly did that work out for people like the Kalmyks and Chechens?
Depends what you mean by "work out". These two groups are hardly the only oppressed groups in the USSR, all ethnicities including Russians were oppressed to some extent, I do not see the point to cherry pick one or two groups.

The premises of the OP was to compare equality between the US and USSR; you mention those two groups, I can mention blacks and Native Americans in the US and their treatment starting from 1776. But to compare, there has to be a year to compare; are we comparing 1950? 1983? The entire existence of both states? As I stated in my previous post, I hate diving back into history for an example, the context is never the same.

Also, is oppression of one or more groups a natural course of nation building? How many countries historically have been created without the oppression of one or more groups?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Depends what you mean by "work out". These two groups are hardly the only oppressed groups in the USSR, all ethnicities including Russians were oppressed to some extent, I do not see the point to cherry pick one or two groups.

The premises of the OP was to compare equality between the US and USSR; you mention those two groups, I can mention blacks and Native Americans in the US and their treatment starting from 1776. But to compare, there has to be a year to compare; are we comparing 1950? 1983? The entire existence of both states? As I stated in my previous post, I hate diving back into history for an example, the context is never the same.

Also, is oppression of one or more groups a natural course of nation building? How many countries historically have been created without the oppression of one or more groups?
Really so the Russians were wholesale kicked out of Russia? If you want to bring the Native Americans into it that is fine. The US doesn't have a perfect history, but to suggest that the USSR treated minorities equality is a farce and laughable on its face.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 PM

18,986 posts, read 15,836,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Really so the Russians were wholesale kicked out of Russia? If you want to bring the Native Americans into it that is fine. The US doesn't have a perfect history, but to suggest that the USSR treated minorities equality is a farce and laughable on its face.
You don't seem to grasp the difference in concept ( talking about treatment of Indians\Blacks in the US and ethnic minorities in Russia.) In the US it has got anything and everything to do with race, where in Russia in has got everything to do with politics. If any ethnicity has been perceived as POLITICAL threat to a system, it was dealt with by Stalin accordingly; if not - they were not resettled. As for Russians being "wholesale kicked out of Russia" - it was simply impossible because they were the ethnic majority, however exiling the whole Russian villages from western part of the country somewhere behind the Ural mountains to live side by side with natives - it was as close as "kicking" them out of Russia. You need to understand that Stalin was "an equal opportunity" for misery creator, plus he himself was an ethnic minority.
The only time you can really talk about treatment of minorities based on race, that would be tzarist Russia with her treatment of Jews - that's the closest you can get to idea of reservations and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History