Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,514,028 times

Advertisements

Gotta be...

these guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,099,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

I was a STTNG kid and thought that Wrath of Kahn was the pinnacle of the originals. Though it did prove a poor career move for Ricardo Montalban. That and the whole "Corinthian leather" thing.

I loved that movie because it brought together two of the all time great over the top scenery chewers in Shatner and Montalban. They were able to get away with this because neither of them had a single scene together, they were both free to posture, pose and thunder without canceling one another out.

Montalban was a one dimensional actor, whether he was playing a villain or hero the character always came out as an aristocratic gentleman, tremendously well mannered even while he was doing something horrible. But in the right role, that one dimension could be great, as Khan he found that perfect part.

My favorite scene was when Khan is interrogating Chekov and the captain of the exploratory ship. Khan asks "Have you not heard the story of how Captain Kirk marooned me on..."
The captain interrupts and says "You mean Admiral Kirk?"

Khan appears physically struck. "Ahhdmiral? Ahhhhdmiral!?"..as though he can't believe that an asswipe like Kirk got promoted.

I also loved Khan's line when one of his minions says "They are trying to hail us."
Khan replies "Let them eat static."

Old 05-15-2013, 02:17 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,657,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I loved that movie because it brought together two of the all time great over the top scenery chewers in Shatner and Montalban. They were able to get away with this because neither of them had a single scene together, they were both free to posture, pose and thunder without canceling one another out.

Montalban was a one dimensional actor, whether he was playing a villain or hero the character always came out as an aristocratic gentleman, tremendously well mannered even while he was doing something horrible. But in the right role, that one dimension could be great, as Khan he found that perfect part.

My favorite scene was when Khan is interrogating Chekov and the captain of the exploratory ship. Khan asks "Have you not heard the story of how Captain Kirk marooned me on..."
The captain interrupts and says "You mean Admiral Kirk?"

Khan appears physically struck. "Ahhdmiral? Ahhhhdmiral!?"..as though he can't believe that an asswipe like Kirk got promoted.

I also loved Khan's line when one of his minions says "They are trying to hail us."
Khan replies "Let them eat static."
It was probably the best cast and acted movie of the originals. Now that you point it out, it is the interaction of the pomposity of Shatner and Montalban that made it good. That and it was one of the only Trek movies that actually had some realistic and important ship-to-ship combat.

One of my personal favorite interactions...

KIRK: Please, please ... give us time, ...the bridge is smashed, computers inoperative.
KHAN: Time is a luxury you don't have, Admiral.

It's just the way he delivers it.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It was probably the best cast and acted movie of the originals. Now that you point it out, it is the interaction of the pomposity of Shatner and Montalban that made it good. That and it was one of the only Trek movies that actually had some realistic and important ship-to-ship combat.

One of my personal favorite interactions...

KIRK: Please, please ... give us time, ...the bridge is smashed, computers inoperative.
KHAN: Time is a luxury you don't have, Admiral.

It's just the way he delivers it.
That delivery styling was what made Montalban's career. No one would have remembered "rich Corinthian leather" had it not been for the way Ricardo articulated it. That and "Cor-doooooooba" I saw Montalban on the Tonight Show and Johnny Carson asked him "In Spanish, wouldn't it be pronounced Cor-DOH-va?" Montalban admitted that this was correct, but he thought it would sell more cars if he gave it the "Cor-dooooooova" treatment. Carson also asked about Corinthinan leather.

Montalban: "Well, the Chryyyyy-sler people used a fine quality leather on the car, but it was nothing exceptional, so they decided to add a touch of class by calling it 'Cooorinthe-in.'"
Carson: "Really? Really? So there's actually no such thing as Corinthian leather?"
Montalban: "Noooooooooooo."

Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,386,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
But Romans left their mark and remnants of their language, culture, and building projects everywhere they controlled, while the Mongols didn't, for the most part.

My vote goes for Roma.
The Qin and Han left their mark as well. In fact, China still exists while the Roman Empire is long gone.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,242,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That delivery styling was what made Montalban's career. No one would have remembered "rich Corinthian leather" had it not been for the way Ricardo articulated it. That and "Cor-doooooooba" I saw Montalban on the Tonight Show and Johnny Carson asked him "In Spanish, wouldn't it be pronounced Cor-DOH-va?" Montalban admitted that this was correct, but he thought it would sell more cars if he gave it the "Cor-dooooooova" treatment. Carson also asked about Corinthinan leather.

Montalban: "Well, the Chryyyyy-sler people used a fine quality leather on the car, but it was nothing exceptional, so they decided to add a touch of class by calling it 'Cooorinthe-in.'"
Carson: "Really? Really? So there's actually no such thing as Corinthian leather?"
Montalban: "Noooooooooooo."
I always thought there was a little of Kahn, laughing silently at his guests in the white suit, when the plane arrived and his hapless victums arrived, innocent that when you do an alternate history of your life it may be that you forgot some of the things you avoided.....

I love how in the new films Kirk is a second/third generation survivor of the last world war too, and isn't nearly as idealistic as Jean Luc. I wonder what a captain of what remains of the feds ships a generation or two will be past Picard. Things always move in cycles and the disillusioned of the war might not quite buy the old mantra so well if problems come up. (thinly tying it with history...)

Old 05-15-2013, 05:05 PM

56 posts, read 118,996 times
Hm.
Strongest empire?
Simple--bacteria, they count themseves at about 6 billions pieces per cubic inch, worry about nothing, outlived humanity by millions of years and eat us for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And probably laugh at us too.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I always thought there was a little of Kahn, laughing silently at his guests in the white suit, when the plane arrived and his hapless victums arrived, innocent that when you do an alternate history of your life it may be that you forgot some of the things you avoided.....
I always thought that Fantasy Island was a gyp. You paid some huge amount to have your fantasy brought to life, but instead wound up getting some sort of moral lesson from Mr. R. And in case you missed it, as the guests were boarding the plane to depart at the end, Roarke would explain why each was leaving a better person to that cheap little exposition device played by Herve Villechaize.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,772,458 times
The United States.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,023,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The Qin and Han left their mark as well. In fact, China still exists while the Roman Empire is long gone.
Is it too much to ask if you can stay on topic?

Definitely the Borg. Has anyone seen a Borg run away from a fight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History