U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 PM

17 posts, read 20,511 times

Advertisements

Many Germans claimed that they were compelled to participate in crimes against humanity. But what of the Germans who aided the victims of Atrocities? One German Nazi comes to mind, Oskar Schindler, was he an anomaly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 AM

33 posts, read 28,940 times
I think most German citizens assumed Jews were simply being put into working camps. Which is true to a certain point and not rare for those times or other times of War. Did most believe "Hitler aimed to exterminate Jews" no I don't believe so thus why would they sacrifice their life if the situation didn't seem so grave.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:37 AM

9,982 posts, read 7,254,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougars View Post
I think most German citizens assumed Jews were simply being put into working camps. Which is true to a certain point and not rare for those times or other times of War. Did most believe "Hitler aimed to exterminate Jews" no I don't believe so thus why would they sacrifice their life if the situation didn't seem so grave.
They were being put into work camps. It wasn't until the German war effort was
crushed that they couldn't take care of the prisoners. Disease and malnutrition
got out of control.

Judicial-Inc Archive: The Real Auschwitz

Old 05-18-2013, 11:06 AM

33 posts, read 28,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
They were being put into work camps. It wasn't until the German war effort was
crushed that they couldn't take care of the prisoners. Disease and malnutrition
got out of control.

Judicial-Inc Archive: The Real Auschwitz
I know but this is purposely covered up in American & Israeli history lectures. Which creates a flaw in logic: Why kill people that could be put to work for the cause during a two front War. "Well Hitler was just irrational" lazy argument quickly ensues.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 PM

3,811 posts, read 3,831,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn6675 View Post
Many Germans claimed that they were compelled to participate in crimes against humanity. But what of the Germans who aided the victims of Atrocities? One German Nazi comes to mind, Oskar Schindler, was he an anomaly?
Not an anomaly at all. One of the more famous incidents was of Dr Albert Battel, who, while in uniform, refused to turn over Jews to the SS and, moreover, ordered his men to blockade a bridge to stop the SS from taking the Jews. Nothing happened to him, even though Himmler and Hitler were aware of what occurred.

Albert Battel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yad Vashem has an entire list of "Righteous Among The Nations." There is criteria for getting on the list, including hiding Jews, providing them with false papers, smuggling them out of the country, etc. They break the list up via country. This is Germany's list, which has 582 people on it. If there are that many which are known, how many didn't make the list?

http://www.yadvashem.org/yv/en/right...ll/germany.pdf

Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 PM

Dear Mr. Cougar:
As I submitted in my thread, Oskar Schindler, was a well known Nazi who aided Victims of the holocaust. There may have been Germans who were not aware of the intentions of the German Government but there were Nazis who were well aware of those intentions. Among those Nazis were there others who responded as Schindler did?

Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 PM

Dear Mr. Phil 306:
I asked a question and you answered it in a very thorough manner!
Thank you so much.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 PM

3,811 posts, read 3,831,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn6675 View Post
Dear Mr. Cougar:
As I submitted in my thread, Oskar Schindler, was a well known Nazi who aided Victims of the holocaust. There may have been Germans who were not aware of the intentions of the German Government but there were Nazis who were well aware of those intentions. Among those Nazis were there others who responded as Schindler did?
One thing you need to learn to figure out is the difference between the two: What a Nazi is and what a German citizen is.

Not all German citizens were Nazi's. Being a "Nazi" is part of a political party. A German citizen is just that, a German citizen.

I provided you a list of persons in an earlier post. Of course, there are many more and there is really no way to list all the "Nazi's" who assisted Jews or citizens who assisted Jews. Many went unnoticed, therefore were able to slip under the radar.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 PM

Mr. Snowball 7:
I respectfully suggest that you are sounding like a holocaust denier. It has been well documented by records that were established by the Nazis themselves, that confirmed their intentions of creating a system for the sole purpose of destroying a people.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:52 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,581,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougars View Post

Not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or