Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Abraham and/or Moses should be on the list. They spawned a lot of the later people, who were merely refining and filling out their ideas. Also someone from the Greek tradition--maybe Socrates. Arguably it was the combination of Greek & Jewish thought that spawned Western Civilization.

Also John Locke and Adam Smith should be on the list, for having spawned modern western liberal democracy.

Some of the people on the list are really just technicians, like Edison and Ford. As great as they were, if they had not done it, someone else would have come along to do it. I was thinking about mentioning Ward Christianson, whose BBS software in the 1980s presaged the internet. But he too was a technician. If he hadn't been there, eventually someone else would have come along to develop the idea and do the work.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpon14 View Post
Well, jtur, I put Napoleon as the most influential European ruler in history not Alfonso X, ?
I said "monarch". Napoleon did not meet the test of monarch, since he was not installed on the basis of hereditary entitlement. Of them, Alfonso X is I think the only example on your list.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I said "monarch". Napoleon did not meet the test of monarch, since he was not installed on the basis of hereditary entitlement. Of them, Alfonso X is I think the only example on your list.
Which raises the question?

No Charlemagne, Henry the VII, Elizabeth Regina, Louis XIV?!?

And god only knows were Columbus would have been with out Queen Isabella I of Castile and King Ferdinand II of Aragon.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:15 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,985 times
Michael Bolton

Old 06-03-2013, 01:57 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times

Elvis

Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 AM

200 posts, read 509,009 times
If one name had to emerge from those who contributed most to human progress, I would submit that it was Archimedes, who set the platform for those who followed much later. He, of course, was indebted to many others who preceded him, notably Euclid. The larger question, at least in my mind, is why there was a 2000-year gap in the seminal work of Archimedes and that of, say, Isaac Newton, who famously attributed his work to "standing upon the shoulders of Giants?" Among his many achievements, there is reason to believe that Archimedes had made considerable progress in developing integral calculus, which was later independently developed by Newton and Leibniz.

ARCHIMEDES - GREATEST SCIENTIST EVER?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:42 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpon14 View Post
Muhammed
Jesus
Johannes Gutenberg
Christopher Columbus
Apostle Paul
Cai Lun
James Watt/Matthew Boulton
Thomas Edison
Louis Pasteur
Isaac Newton

Buddha
Shihuangdi/Li Si
Constantine
Edward Jenner
James Clerk Maxwell
Fritz Haber
Albert Einstein
Asoka
Alexander Fleming
Octavian

Confucius
Abel Wolman/Enslow
Alexander
Charles Darwin
Michael Faraday
Thales
Galileo Galilei
Carl Bosch
George Washington
Charles Goodyear

Martin Luther
Temujin
Napoleon Bonaparte
Karl Landsteiner
John Smeaton
Thespis
John Snow
Leonardo Fibonacci
John Harrington
Nikolaus Otto

Alessandro di Spina
Wright brothers
Norman Borlaug
Francisco Pizarro
Eli Whitney
Alexander Graham Bell
Tim Berners-Lee
Adolf Hitler
Mary Wollstonecraft
Joseph Aspdin

Robert/George Stephenson
Ebenezer Cobb Morley
Simon Bolivar
Otto Hahn/Strassmann
Nicolas Appert
Abraham Darby I
Pierre de Coubertin
Gabriel Mouton
Alfonso X of Castile
Badarayana (Brahma Sutras only)

Philo T. Farnsworth
Adolf Lande
Explain in what stories? Stories of what? If we talk about the history of the world, it is the rulers of the empires . empires that may affect the event in the world.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Elizabeth Farnsworth: In 1640 or so, she gave birth to the children whose lineage would include Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt and Douglas McArthur, thus making them all cousins.

Remove those three men and we have a very different world.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
OP, If I were to pick up a library book for young readers that listed The 40 Inventions That Impacted Modern Western Lifestyles, and then looked up who invented them, and then interspersed 22 other names of Famous People using some criteria of political correctness (like putting a Chinese guy near the top) but crossing out all the women but one, and picking out a few obscure names of people that most stiffs have never heard of, just for shock value and faux erudity and a pretense of being "in the know", my list would be just as good as yours. And just as bad.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OP, If I were to pick up a library book for young readers that listed The 40 Inventions That Impacted Modern Western Lifestyles, and then looked up who invented them, and then interspersed 22 other names of Famous People using some criteria of political correctness (like putting a Chinese guy near the top) but crossing out all the women but one, and picking out a few obscure names of people that most stiffs have never heard of, just for shock value and faux erudity and a pretense of being "in the know", my list would be just as good as yours. And just as bad.
Are you insulting CAI LUN?..........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History