U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM

48,552 posts, read 20,309,446 times

Advertisements

It is every generation's job to come up with a youth sub culture which pisses off their parents. If what is created gained parental approval, it would have to be dismantled and replaced with something more offensive. The specific nature of the youth sub culture will always be subordinate to the imperative of .....different.

It is what young generations do, look for ways to make themselves distinctive from their parents. As long as you do not look like your parents, appreciate the same music and movies, or hold the same political beliefs, you are doing it right.

All the stuff that winds up getting demonized was designed to be demonized. If it was embraced, it would represent failure because the purpose is always manifesting independence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,326,444 times
Graduated HS 1982. I went to Catholic and Baptist schools and so Rock/Roll was demonized. Never listened to any RR until after graduation. Although "We are the Champions" was allowed as our football team theme song.

Ironic we were allowed to fight one another after school hours in boxing or wrestling matches if we had a grudge against a classmate. Results were our school had no bullies. Now you can listen to RR but no fighting is allowed and we apparently have a bullying epidemic.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM

19,726 posts, read 13,197,771 times
I grew up in the 50's and 60's and the hippie era in the 60's was VERY strange ! Everything that was held sacred in the 50's was being overturned in the 60's. The 50's were very conservative, sex wasn't something that was discussed much, people adhered to strict rules of conduct, and you rarely questioned authority. The hippies said ********** and tossed all those rules out the window.

Sex became fun and common, it was ok to be free and enjoy yourself, and the "establishment" was something to be feared and disliked. There was also the downside, drugs started becoming popular, and the VN war was horrible. IMO some of this countries darkest days were after JFK was killed in 63 and the country was in turmoil.

Don

Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM

36,765 posts, read 11,980,077 times
That was easy: The Beatles, for their long hair. When I now see file footage of them, I have to laugh because 1) their hair wasnt really that long and, 2) in their early years they wore suits and neckties for crying out loud!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 AM

9,965 posts, read 15,442,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Yea I was too. I remember my buddies and I playing Mortal Kombat and seeing a small splatter of blood come out when you punched one of the characters and we thought it was the coolest thing ever, LOL! If you blinked, you'd miss it, it was that small of a splatter, but none the less, we thought it was the bomb, lol.
Yeah, it's funny that a little amount of blood in that game seemed like a big deal at the time compared to what would come later in video games in the 2000s. I think I remember that the Super Nintendo version of the game was sanitized compared to the arcade game--but there was a secret code you had to enter to unlock the full amount of gore.

Quote:
And Beavis & Butthead were going to be the downfall of American youth, let me tell ya. That show was a no no in my house, but I spent the night at my buddy's house almost every weekend and his parents went out almost every Saturday night, so Beavis & Butthead it was.
There was some big outcry that Beavis and Butthead played "frog baseball" in an early episode--of course this was just few years after Bart Simpson was considered a bad influence on America's youth by a few commentators... Geez, that really seems funny in retrospect.

Quote:
Marilyn Manson was also a big deal back in the late 90's, especially after the Combine shootings. His music, dress, videos, concerts and look were just so shocking and repulsive to the adults back then, but obviously we teens loved him.
I think Marilyn Manson and the late 90s was probably the last time that rock music would ever try or actually be shocking and offensive to a mass audience. That time period was full of sort of mediocre rap-metal and the whole Woodstock 99 mess(which turned into an orgy of destruction and sexual assaults). But Marilyn Manson was the last sort of heir to the glam/metal tradition of being purposely offensive.

By the next decade rock music was sort of watered down commercial bands or overly retro nostalgia rock revival acts or passive indie rock in terms of the rock mainstream. Heavy metal is underground again basically and the most offensive stuff is often content created by kids on the internet for other kids... Rock music on the other hand seems fairly safe in some regards these days--especially since parents these days often grew up on the heavy metal and punk and alternative rock of the 70s-90s(along with rap music of that period)... Which is proably why kids are getting into dubstep and electronic music heavily these days--it's a break from the rock music has been dominant since the 1960s(and earlier rock n' roll before that).

Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,303,925 times
I wonder if there was anyone here who went through the whole Dungeons and Dragons is satanic thing.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 PM

9,965 posts, read 15,442,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I wonder if there was anyone here who went through the whole Dungeons and Dragons is satanic thing.
I rember a little of that from the 80s. I was into D&D as a very young kid(like starting around 6-years-old in the mid 80s), and I remember some of the controverises around the game. I think someone had an older edition and I remember comparing it to the newer edition released in the late 80s and they took out references to devils and demons. The Deities and Demigods/Legends and Lore guide was also revised, I believe because it had too many pagan gods included in it...

Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 PM

374 posts, read 459,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Rock & Roll. Wearing jeans to school. (1956 -1960) Saying the words, 'pregnant' or 'sex' or 'rape'.

Back in those days a couple could not appear in bed together on TV unless one of them had a foot on the floor. So they usually used twin beds with a night stand between them.

Modesty was a good thing.Never overrated.

In my youth Elvis Pelvis was critized. Then came the Beatles and later rockers.All were unliked by my elders.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM

32,324 posts, read 35,702,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Yes, in my early 20's I had a few friends who played but I never found time to learn. Now my college aged kids play it. I don't question much that they do to be honest. The less you know...

Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 PM

5,449 posts, read 6,895,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It is what young generations do, look for ways to make themselves distinctive from their parents. As long as you do not look like your parents, appreciate the same music and movies, or hold the same political beliefs, you are doing it right.
I rejected the mainstream "trendy" music of when I was younger and while I was growing up (i.e., Grunge, Post-Grunge, Alternative, Blue Grass, and similar styles), mostly because I never really liked the way it sounded...it was too harsh-sounding for me to find enjoyable. Instead, I largely embraced music genres that were typically regarded by my peers as being "uncool" or "unhip" -- mostly a combination of Soft Rock, Soft AC, Top-40 Pop, 80's-rock, and some (non-Grunge) Hard AC. I liked it, so my peers' opinions really didn't matter to me In some cases, I actually liked the mainstream music of generations that preceded me in my teenage years, more than the music of my own generation, such as in the case of 80's rock.

If I had to do it over again, I would have done exactly the same thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or