U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,505,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
Read it again real slow? You took what I said out of context and added your own foolish crap to it.

We all have our own opinions like it or not. Its called free speech what our soldiers fought for many years ago ,so if you don't like what I have to say,don't read it.

Foreign countries never threatened our right to free speech as far as I know. I'll retract that statement if you can give examples. Our own govt is reading our e-mails & forum posts. Does that make you feel free? It doesn't feel that way for me. I don't hate you, just like to share my thoughts. Best wishes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 PM

9,965 posts, read 15,438,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
Poor old ignorant cracker should have said something like they call us blue eyed devils or hunkies ,crackers.

Race card alert,run for the hills another victimhooded card carriny racial cop.
Uh...

Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 PM

5,726 posts, read 10,479,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Uh...
Sometimes posters get lost on their way to the politics forum and wind up here.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 PM

5,781 posts, read 12,726,026 times
Smoking marijuana was about as bad as it could possibly get for me and my friends in the second half of the 60s. Our parents associated it with the music we were listening to and reefer would certainly lead to lives of broken dreams and sheer misery. Yet alcohol was widely accepted and could be found in many a good home. We all became pretty regular citizens as time went by.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 PM

23,883 posts, read 67,300,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
What were the young hellraisers doing in the 1790s?
They started a revolution.

Anyway, I don´t think anyone has mentioned the evil that is heavy metal yet.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:42 PM

32,525 posts, read 32,521,643 times
Anything and everything that came out of the Fender plant in Fullerton, CA.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:57 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,470,020 times
In the 90s, Rap was the #1 enemy of the moral guardians. Politicians were getting votes by talking about how filthy rap lyrics are and how it needed to be stopped. Eminem was probably the most targeted rapper I remember. Like that song he made about killing his wife and "Stan" where he played a fan obsessed with Eminem who went around killing people.

Shock rock
: Marilyn Manson got all kinds of unfair blame for Columbine and that largely killed his career since he stopped making music for a long time since the whole thing upset him so much. Slipknot and Insane Clown Posse got a lot of flak but were also less popular.

Howard Stern and shock jocks: Stern was so popular that he was inspiring clones all over the country who were doing edgy crude comedy shows in nearly every market. From the 90s on, its been unusual for a clean comedian to have a morning show on a rock station. The FCC really tried to destroy Howard but it just made him way more popular than he would've otherwise been.

Video games: Mortal Kombat's goofy looking blood code was the main reason the idiots in Congress made the game rating system.

Pro Wrestling: If you tune into RAW now its a pretty tame show but back when WCW and WWF were in a ratings war, they'd have all kinds of outrageous stunts like lesbians making out, bad language, sex with dead people, race wars etc.

Trash Talk Shows: Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, Ricki Lake, Jenny Jones, Montel Williams etc etc. That type of show is mostly dead now but the reality shows now are likely worse.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 PM

24,571 posts, read 35,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Even though I'm only 19 it seems like I've gone through a lot of media demonization.
For example:
Video Games not only are Moral Guardians such as Jack Thompson complaining that violent video games will make you reenact violence. There are also talks that video games are an addiction. Also the classic video games rot the Brian, waste your time, make you fat and stupid.
Harry Potter some religious groups have targeted Harry Potter because they thought it promoted witchcraft.
The Internet/Social Media every other month, you'll hear how Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace are ruining social skills
Pokemon Same thing with Harry Potter but Pokemon was thought to teach Evolution.

What forms of media were demonized when you were a kid? What interesting stories do you have?
RAP! (The 80s.)

Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,794,489 times
Well they told us of you read the whole Bible from beginning to end you would go crazy

They told us Alice Cooper, KISS, Stairway to Heaven and Hotel California were satanic.

I don't remember anything else. It seems to be worse now because people care more for parenting than back then.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 PM

48,508 posts, read 20,298,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I was thinking this, too. The "long" hair was considered such a threat that schools banned it, some for nearly half a century! Maybe it is still banned somewhere. In Indonesia, the military rounded up the boys & young men that had Beatle haircuts, & they shaved their heads. My high school was only slightly better, boys hair must not be over shirt collar or ears. Next year, kid challenged school district for his right to hair, even got statement from Doc that he was sane, school principal defeated, no more crazy dress code.

Perhaps another thing that frightened Beatles haters was people would do about anything to get tickets, & when there, they cried, they screamed, they fainted.
Long hair was the primary identification for one's sympathies lying with the counter culture in the 1960's. The over 30 untrusted enemy could be spotted by his short hair.

I attended Florida State in the late '60's early '70's. The Tallahassee and FSU campus cops were generally pretty fair minded, but the Leon County Sheriff's department seemed to specialize in recruiting hippie hating rednecks. If you had long hair and drove anywhere in Leon County during this time, you could rely on about one hassle stop every three or four months.

The hassle stop didn't require your having violated any traffic laws, it only required a couple of bored deputies and a long haired guy having the misfortune to drive by at the wrong time. The light assembly would flash, the siren would go on and you would be pulled over. Then it was:
Officer # 1 "Lemme see yer license. Hmmmm, Stander, huh? This your car Grand? You got some registration on it? We got a report of a stolen car look jes like this one."
Officer # 2 "You seemed to be in a bit of a hurry there Grand, you know how fast you was a going? Yeah? Joe Ed, did it seem like this hippie feller was only doing 35?"
Officer # 1 "Didn look like no 35 to me, Ray. I think he mussa been in a hurry to get hisself a haircut."
Officer # 2 "That right, hippie boy? You onna way to get a haircut?
Officer # 1 "I'll cutcha hair for you iffin you like. I'll cut like hell."
Officers #1 and # 2 "Bwa ha ha ha ha....."

If you stood there and just let them have their fun, they would get tired after a time and let you go on your way. If you got pissed off and mouthy, they would smack you around and claim you were resisting officers of the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or