Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I remember so many things being "bad" according to my older relatives. Music of course (disco then punk), clothing (fringed suede jackets, bell bottoms, hot pants) and believe it or not there was even some argument over technology, my parents let me have a phone in my room with my own phone number and a TV where I could watch whatever I wanted and have private convos with the door closed! Not everyone thought that was a good idea. Drive in movies were always frowned upon as a date activity because everyone knew what would happen when two young people were alone in a car in the dark...lol.
My parents HATED anything that could be connected to hippies. Hated bell bottoms (my mother made me return a pair of bell bottoms to the store that I paid for myself because she said I'd look like a hippie!), hated my hair style (after high school, I let it grow long, parted down the middle. Again, was told I looked like a hippie.) The comical thing was that I ran around with the goodie-goodie girls, didn't smoke, didn't drink, didn't get into trouble with the cops...I was anything but a hippie. <sigh>

Was totally NOT allowed to go to drive-ins...but we went any way. Just made up a story about our whereabouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Ya know, this thread makes me wonder what Generation Y will demonize when we are older.
I'm not really so concerned about Generation Y's potential demonization of Gen X -- more like Generation Z's!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Ya know, this thread makes me wonder what Generation Y will demonize when we are older.
The kids will take care of that, whatever they come up with will strike you as horrible.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,733 times
Oh, and someone please explain this to me:
Why is it ok to watch hours upon hours of television and movies, but to play video games I am obviously "wasting my life away"?

I had a college teacher who was like this. On the first day during the class syllabus my teacher told the class "Oh, and if you play video games DELETE THEM! They are an absolute waste of time! The last video game I ever played was Mario. You can play video games when you have completed everything in your life. Also, did you know that there are jobs where you can play video games all day?" To me, this kind of offends me as a gamer because I have gone through tons of stigma and stereotype as being a gamer by my peers and by the news media. I guess she must hate video games because 1. she must have heard so many college students drop out due to game addiction. Or, she is clearly brainwashed by the news media telling her games are evil.
But that didn't stop there. On the next day during break, my teacher came in saying "Hey, do you want to know a website where you can watch Hollywood movies for free? Here is the link to it!" So wait, you just told me that I am wasting my life away playing video games, next you are telling me a website where I can go to watch movies and tv shows? Movies are just the same as video games. She even several times linked to YouTube to play Ganam style saying this is the most watched video in the world. And showing us several other videos on YouTube. But for some reason, I'm wasting my life away playing video games. Can anyone care to explain this?

Old 06-30-2013, 10:51 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
One of the lessons we go to college to learn is the art of critical thinking. This includes learning how and when to decide that our professors may be well qualified in some areas but loopy in others. Being a professor doesn't make one's every viewpoint some sort of sacred truth that can't be challenged, so if you're looking for someone to take/defend her position, my advice is don't wait up.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 PM

I guess this Douglas Adams quote must apply to my teacher:
I suppose earlier generations had to sit through all this huffing and puffing with the invention of television, the phone, cinema, radio, the car, the bicycle, printing, the wheel and so on, but you would think we would learn the way these things work, which is this:
1) everything that’s already in the world when you’re born is just normal;
2) anything that gets invented between then and before you turn thirty is incredibly exciting and creative and with any luck you can make a career out of it;
3) anything that gets invented after you’re thirty is against the natural order of things and the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it until it’s been around for about ten years when it gradually turns out to be alright really.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
Johann Strauss who wrote many of the waltzes was called a radical. The waltz was considered lewd and vile back then.
As was the music of Mozart in his time.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Digital art and photography via graphics software was and still is demonized as ruining high art by "real artists."

Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Rock & Roll music. I was supposed to listen to country music and drink beer like my alcoholic step father.

Now I listen to Pink Floyd and drink, seldom, whiskey.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 AM

I also find it funny how film buffs get a free pass when watching a movie. But I am wasting precious hours of my life away if I play video games for a long periods of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History