Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:34 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Rock 'n' roll, bellbottoms, long hair on guys, halter tops or short skirts on girls, communal or co-operative living, comic books, Barbie dolls and sports cars. Not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I'm 23, born in 1990 and growing up it seemed like the things most hated on were South Park, Limp Bizkit and trash talk TV.
Well ... I can see why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Speaking of a somewhat sportscar my Trans Am with the oversized firechicken hood decal was considered a demonic image at my HS. Good old time Southern Baptist. They were hard people but iron discipline is what free spirited youth need on occasion. No regrets by the way regarding the stiff upbringing. How else can I survive a C-D POC encounter?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Rock and Roll in the 50's. Especially in the South where it was associated with the racist sentiments against black people.

Rock and Roll emerged from the Blues (see the Martin Scoresee Multipart series The Blues) which emerged from the black community as a branch of Jazz also a largely black artorn until white artists like Bix Bederbeck, Benny Goodman and the white Big Bands like The Glen Miller Orchestra popularized this from of Jazz for White Americans. Blues and R& B where considered by most Radio stations as Negro Music and a lot of stations in the Bible Belt and South would not play it. The only stations that would touch it were the handful of stations inSouth qwned and focusedon the black audience. A few of the clear channel 50,000 Watt stations up in the North in places like Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland (Alan Freed actually coined the term Rock and Roll) and New York had DJs who would play Negro Blues and R&B. . Another outlet were the X stations in Mexico who had 150,000-250,000 Watts and could blast signal all the wat to Canada. Wolfman Jack got his start on an X station. When the Recording Industry saw the response of young audiences to "Negro" Music they santized it, found or put together all white bands to do covers often without attribution. Elvis Prestley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins were godsends for the recording industry white artists and good R&B men, Some black acts also were able to cross over like Chuck Berry, Richard Penniman (Little Richard) and Fats Domino. Plus a number of very good groups like the Coasters suceeded.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,968 times
Ya know, this thread makes me wonder what Generation Y will demonize when we are older.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Anything we kids liked, such as KISS and the Sex Pistols. Kids like to annoy and shock adults, and adults like to pretend that it was all different in their youths, that they were respectful and never got out of line or did anything so outrageous. Now I watch my fellow fortysomethings harrumph and grumble about 'that rap crap.' I went to school with them, and most of them smoked weed, a majority of them drank, and a high percentage of them were either getting laid or actively trying to. They had minimal respect for authority (though they sometimes feared it, which is not the same), they skipped school, and they didn't really value education. Their amnesia is absolutely amazing. I find it uproarious.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Tattoos and piercings.

Tattoos were considered to be OK for Navy men, but that was about it. Any other guy with a tattoo was likely a felon. Women? tattoos were only seen on prostitutes or in the sideshows of carnivals. Girls didn't even get their ears pierced, as it was considered gypsy-ish or "Mexican."

Funny, but some of those heavily tattooed carnival people wouldn't rate a second look today, compared to what I saw last year at the Tattoo and Body Art Expo in LA.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Rock and Roll emerged from the Blues (see the Martin Scoresee Multipart series The Blues) which emerged from the black community as a branch of Jazz
And when my mom was a teenager, in the late 40s/early 50s, blues and jazz heralded the end of civilized society, according to my grandparents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Ya know, this thread makes me wonder what Generation Y will demonize when we are older.
You'll think of something! What goes around comes around.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

--Socrates (469–399 BCE)

There is nothing new under the sun... (Ecclesiastes)
I love this post. It is so true.

I was about 5 years old when we first got electricity to our home via REA (Rural Electrical Association). I was about 10 years old when we bought our first TV. It received three channels with only one good reception. All the preachers in our area damned it to hell because people were going to watch it instead of going to church. Guess what? They were right.

As a matter of reference, I was not allowed to wear shorts ever and blue jeans only when working in the garden or corn field. Ladies wore dresses. And very little make-up was allowed. Lipstick (light pink) and powders on the face only then later not much but some eye make-up.

If I had talked to my mother the way some children do today; I would not be alive to tell you about it. It did not matter whether my mother was right or not; she was still right and I had to do what she said or I would have had a hard time sitting down. My parents loved and respected each other and they made sure we respected the other parent too.

Last edited by NCN; 06-27-2013 at 05:48 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Gay Liberation.

It will bring the very end of civilization and poor Christians will be oppressed and persecuted.

Guess what? There are still idiots around that believe that nonsense.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I was a teenager in the '60's, so it was pretty much everything. The clothes, the hair, the music, the movies...all signs of certain Apocalypse for America.

In addition, I was stuck attending Catholic schools, so the demon list was expanded to cover their eccentric morality points as well. We used to get these weekly handouts on Friday which were a list of movies, tv shows and pop songs which had been condemned by the National Legion of Decency. The list was extensive, all that was required a for a film to make it was having any sort of scene which flew in the face of Catholic orthodoxy. Thus we were warned to avoid films which "condoned divorce" or "undermined parental authority" along with all the ones condemned for their carnal aspects.

And of course we wound up using the list as a reverse barometer...if a film was condemned for sexual content, then that made it the film we all went to see.
Sounds like you and I grew up in the same era. Even though I went to public school, we kids were raised Catholic by a very strict mother. When I was asked out on dates as a 16+ teen, she'd check the Catholic Standard & Times movie reviews first. Seems like the majority of movies were deemed "morally objectionable in part for all". How embarrassing it was to tell my friends I wasn't allowed to see the movies that they were planning to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History