U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 18 days ago)

54,573 posts, read 42,749,731 times

Advertisements

I agree with Ovcatto when it comes to Liz One.

However, I have always been fascinated by Catherine of Aragon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,531,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have always been fascinated by Catherine of Aragon.
Now there is a big surprise.

Yes Katharine was one serious woman and Queen Consorts but her mark on history was more of about the events following her removal from power than what she did when she held it. It would be her divorce that would cause a seismic shift in the direction of Europe and the world. And of course without the divorce there would have been no Elizabeth Regina.

So getting back to Elizabeth R, as a young teenager Elizabeth had the wit and wisdom to avoid the fate of her mother on two separate occasions, first her association with Edward Seymour and then under the reign of her sister whose Catholic followers tried their best to rid England of the Protestant bastard child of Henry.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 PM

3,811 posts, read 3,833,899 times
Margaret Thatcher. The longest serving PM in the UK's history as a woman. Polarizing; however, she never backed down from her ideals and her thoughts for the country. Of course, many persons disagree with me, however she never did things for herself and always put the UK first. Even today, after her death, she is still loved and hated by many.

I, of course love her, because of her conservative viewpoints and the fact she made people take care of themselves, instead of depending upon the government.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 AM

15,603 posts, read 13,917,307 times
When it comes to the most fascinating women in history , all the ones who were either good ,plain or dowdy seem to disappear , its the strong, cruel , beautiful who seem to remain.

Boadacea or Boudicca... Celtic Warrior Queen.

In our own time.. Queen Elizabeth11.. who has done more to turn around Great Britains Royalty with all her hard work , determination, duty and unwavering commitment to being our Queen. A wonderful woman who will be hard to follow..

Old 06-26-2013, 01:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,266,087 times
Jean D'Arc, the Maid of Orleans. Joan's is a most fascinating story with a teenage girl leading the defeated French Army to miraculous victories over the English. Imagine an illiterate teenage farm girl going to Obama and saying "God sent me to lead the US military to victory in Afghanistan", and Obama giving her command, and her succeeding. That's comparable to what happened in the 100 Years War. How she was betrayed by the ungrateful King she saved and how the corrupt church had her burned at the stake is an incredible saga. Her courage and faithfullness to her Lord Jesus has been an inspiration to me all these centuries later. I made a small pilgrimage to her birth place in Domremy, France, and prayed in the same small church where she had prayed and asked for some of that courage in my life.

Last edited by Seeker5in1; 06-26-2013 at 01:34 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,290,788 times
Any man that doesn't say, "My Wife!" is a Bachelor, or may wish he was if his wife sees his post!

PS. My answer is clearly, my wife!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Boadacea or Boudicca... Celtic Warrior Queen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Jean D'Arc, the Maid of Orleans.
Both are serious contenders

Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,011 times
I have always been fascinated by the story of Isabella I of Castille. Although her religious beliefs are quite dated, she was very infleuential in the rise of Europe in the 16th Century.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 AM

It is interesting that most of the serious contenders were all omnipotent women who made history in a period where women's rights were non-existent.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM

48,348 posts, read 20,258,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It is interesting that most of the serious contenders were all omnipotent women who made history in a period where women's rights were non-existent.
I think that makes sense. The women you reference above made their marks during times when it was unusual for a woman to stand out. In more recent times there is a great deal more competition, a much more crowded field of candidates. During Joan's time, if there had also been a Maid of Paris, a Maid of Nice, a Maid of Calais and so forth, then Joan would have been one among a multitude and thus less distinguished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or