Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:34 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times

Advertisements

I am becoming a fan of Isabella of Castille. for the quality of her daughters and grandchildren as much as anything she herself did, which was outstanding in itself. Plus the whole New World thing

The more I read of Tudor history the more I admire Catherine of Aragon and think it speaks well of her mother. What a strong woman, Catherine I mean.

Currently reading "Mary Tudor the first queen" by Linda Porter and am enjoying it.

And Boudica strikes a chord with me as well, so I consider her fascinating. And that was a good term the OP chose.

And always Eleanor of Aquitaine, queen of England by the Wrath of God. Take that Rosemonde de Clifford. or the emperor. whatever

Afraid I am suffering from a 500pm glass of bourbon, but you get the idea.

Good topic.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 06-27-2013 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am becoming a fan of Isabella of Castille. for the quality of her daughters and grandchildren as much as anything she herself did, which was outstanding in itself. Plus the whole New World thing

The more I read of Tudor history the more I admire Catherine of Aragon and think it speaks well of her mother. What a strong woman, Catherine I mean.

Currently reading "Mary Tudor the first queen" by Linda Porter and am enjoying it.

And Boudica strikes a chord with me as well, so I consider her fascinating. And that was a good term the OP chose.

And always Eleanor of Aquitaine, queen of England by the Wrath of God. Take that Rosemonde de Clifford. or the emperor. whatever

Afraid I am suffering from a 500pm glass of bourbon, but you get the idea.

Good topic.
Those European women! The things they did, even going back to when history was poorly recorded, are astounding. Especially, to me, the women who were not born to power, but just sort of took it! Heartless beaches who killed their lovers, husbands, sons, sisters; you name it, just to get what they wanted. Which, in a lot of cases, was the right thing all along because it was best for everyone concerned at the time.

I'd love to join you in a bourbon, but I just can't stand the taste of liquor anymore.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:13 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
For our Southern friends and Civil War history buffs, may I suggest this fascinating female:

Varina Howell Davis.

Second wife Jefferson Davis and First Lady of the Confederacy. She was a bright and extraordinary woman.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Hatshepsut, one of the few known female rulers of the Two Lands of the Nile.

Zenobia, warrior princess of Palmyrene.

And of course can't forget about the Kahina of the Maghreb. Some traditions claim she was Jewish, but most agree she was of the Zenetiya branch of the Banu Mazigh, who ultimately was defeated during the Arab conquest of the coast of the Maghreb. However her valiant, courageous fighting spirit never died, and tales of her heroism are still told today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History