Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times

Advertisements

An interesting article on an important moment.

BBC News - John F Kennedy: How 'Ich bin ein Berliner' gave a city hope
Quote:
President John F Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech was a message of solidarity to West Berlin at the height of the Cold War. Some 50 years on, previously unseen photographs of his visit to the city have the power to recreate the drama of the moment.
There's no doubt that Kennedy's speech was one of the great speeches of history.
It's hard to imagine those pressured times now, but 50 years ago the world was divided into two blocs of East and West, each with an arsenal of nuclear rockets pointed at the other.
The atomic battleground would be Europe, and Berlin was its centre.
An interesting side note of the article is a reference to an oft quoted part of JFKs speech.
Quote:
Did he, by inserting the word "ein" into "Ich bin Berliner" - the normal, conversational way of saying "I am a Berliner" - unintentionally say he was a jam donut?
This claim has often been made, but Berliners of the human variety will tell you that a jam donut in Berlin is not called a Berliner (though it is in the south of the country), so on the day nobody laughed. And anyway, the added word "ein" can be used here to add emphasis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
It was definitely important. I would argue his American University speech was more important, though.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
This is my own take, but I thought it also symbolized a sort of unspoken forgiveness thing for WWII, which the ashamed German people really responded to.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
This is my own take, but I thought it also symbolized a sort of unspoken forgiveness thing for WWII, which the ashamed German people really responded to.
That's how the Germans saw it. They saw it as affirmation that we were moving past WW2 and that Germany and in particular West Berlin, were firmly in the "western camp" and sphere of influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History