Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:33 AM

755 posts, read 675,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Maybe, but the 80's pales in impact compared to the 60's. The music alone, which is heard every day in many TV series, commercials, and films is astounding. The ongoing progress of women's rights, racial and ethnic equality, environmental activism, gay rights, the drug culture (positives and negatives), questioning authority including government propaganda, the severe right/left political divide, individual choice in fashion, hair and lifestyle and many other examples all had their start in the 60's.

Why, even the smiley face was invented in the 60's
The Straight Dope: Who invented the smiley face?

Boo Yah!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:53 PM

127 posts, read 534,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
I would say the late 1970s were definitely more '80s-like' than the early 90s. I mean, we had grunge, R&B, eurodance and hip hop in 1991. And hair was toned down heavily. In the meantime, 1979 had big hair, synthpop and new wave...so...
Grunge was born in the mid 1980s, not 1991.
There was far more to 1991 than grunge, R&B, eurodance and hip hop. New Jack Swing, glam metal, alternative, pop and dance music were all alive and well back in the early 90s.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Oh I agree.

Music is the most notable. Today's music is heavily influenced by the 1980s sounds and styling. Bruno Mars does not even try to pretend that he's not copying Michael Jackson. We've got three versions of Madonna that are our most popular female artists right now - Katy Perry, Kesha, Lady Gaga.

Fashion - yeah I'd say the garish is in now, and the skinny look kind of reminds me of 80s looks.

Politics - obviously Ronald Reagan looms over the Republican party in a profound way.

Economics - I don't think the "greed is good" ethos of the 80s ever went away.

Movies and TV is where there's some divergence. TV is much more complex than how shows were in the 80s which was formulaic and predictable. The movies today are quite different too. The superhero movie is the big action blockbuster today. There weren't that many superhero movies in the 80s - the Superman sequels and Tim Burton's Batman which wasn't until 1989. Action films in the 80s involved cops ie: Lethal Weapon, Die Hard. In the 80s the popularity of teen dramas, comedies & coming of age movies was much higher. I can't think of any equivalent to Breakfast Club or St. Elmo's Fire. The teens today seemed to have moved toward fantasy with things like Twilight, Hunger Games, Divergence.
Excellent post..and I do agree.

Now I would like to add..Reading this thread and the others about the 80s & 90s whenever I see postings that mention about how great the economy was back then...well yes it was BUT it also depends as to where one was living at back then. Some places the economy was great while in other places not so much. For example during the summers of 1987 and 1988 I had spent time with family who were living in Virginia Beach. There the economy was doing very well so at the time I assumed it was that way everywhere else too. I got that one wrong when I flew to Denver in 1988. Seeing men dressed up in suit and ties carrying their briefcases applying for part-time jobs at Burger King. A new supermarket opening up only to attract thousands of job seekers. The family I was staying at had so many collection agencies calling them over past due bills it was difficult for me to even call them if I had too. All of this was due to the "oil bust". Oh when I came back to Virginia and told my friends and family what I had witnessed in Denver they actually accused of me of drinking too many Coors. They did not believe it.

I understand it was a similar situation in the early 90s with Boston. A depressed economy there but in West Virginia many towns were doing very well with their local economies.

As great as the 80s were I have to admit that I didn't like the homophobia back then. especially when Rock Hudson and Liberace had died from AIDS.

Looking back sadly I can also remember jokes about mental illness and the disabled as well and even unfortunately fear and discrimination about this issue too. A lot of folks who needed help back then refused to get it because they felt if they needed to go into a mental hospital they had this fear that others will find out, they could lose their jobs or even their right to vote. Don't have any idea where they got that idea at the time but they most certainly believed it could had been possible. Back in the 80s I was good friends with a girl who had downs syndrome. At the time I can remember her telling me about the times she was asked to leave a restaurant or a store because the manager/staff were "concerned" that she would scare customers. So sad !!

The 80s and 90s were good times, perhaps even a mostly great time..but like every other time in the past there were some exceptions.

Last edited by tantan1968; 06-09-2015 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History