Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 PM

7 posts, read 43,553 times

Advertisements

So I came across this historical item today at an antique shop in a small town near the southern Appalachian Mountains. I could not for the life of me figure out what it could be, and nobody in the shop was able to tell me either. I was very intrigued so I took some pictures hoping that someone with more knowledge of history or antique items might have a better idea. My initial thought was that it may have something to do with storing food in the coal mines, but I now have my doubts about that.

Can anyone help me to identify this unknown antique? It will be greatly appreciated

And mods, if this is the wrong forum to post this in, I do apologize.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help Identifying This Historical Item (pics)-941223_10201763715081411_1948939945_n.jpg   Need Help Identifying This Historical Item (pics)-1075812_10201763714841405_438591882_n.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I am a little frustrated with your pics! I can't see if that is a lantern or a container for change on the side.

It looks home made, but did you turn it upside down to see if there is a mfg. mark stamped in it? What is it made of? Where did it come from? (The sellers might know where it came from, even if they don't know what it is.)

I think a local historian might be a good resource for info about this, if only to identify when it might have been made.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 43,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am a little frustrated with your pics! I can't see if that is a lantern or a container for change on the side.

It looks home made, but did you turn it upside down to see if there is a mfg. mark stamped in it? What is it made of? Where did it come from? (The sellers might know where it came from, even if they don't know what it is.)

I think a local historian might be a good resource for info about this, if only to identify when it might have been made.
Thanks for your post, Silibran. I did end up figuring it out though. Turns out it is an antique brass noodle street vendor display from Thailand. Very cool

Old 07-14-2013, 02:34 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinian1 View Post
Thanks for your post, Silibran. I did end up figuring it out though. Turns out it is an antique brass noodle street vendor display from Thailand. Very cool
Hmmm, I was sitting here wondering if it could have been an early and portable predecessor of the weenie wagons that you saw in the streets of NYC in the Fifties and Sixties. However, the cup kept telling me, no.

How did a Thai noodle vendors kit end up there I wonder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History