Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,007,425 times

Advertisements

my friends and i were talking about the possibility of people living in this world who practice witchcraft and we started thinking about the Salem Witch Trials.

do you really think that Betty Parris and Abigail Williams were tormented by Tituba? do you think that the girls had just suffered a bad nightmare? or did they really suffer from "Adolescent hysteria"?

two courts convicted twenty-nine people of the capital of felony of witchcraft. about 20 people were accused and hanged. one man was pressed to death for not admitting to practicing witchcraftry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 12:05 AM

951 posts, read 3,698,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
my friends and i were talking about the possibility of people living in this world who practice witchcraft and we started thinking about the Salem Witch Trials.

do you really think that Betty Parris and Abigail Williams were tormented by Tituba? do you think that the girls had just suffered a bad nightmare? or did they really suffer from "Adolescent hysteria"?

two courts convicted twenty-nine people of the capital of felony of witchcraft. about 20 people were accused and hanged. one man was pressed to death for not admitting to practicing witchcraftry.

I think the made it up. This witch huntings happned all over the world. In Sweden it also happened during the same time period

Old 09-27-2008, 12:29 AM

185 posts, read 403,426 times
I think that I read something years ago about Psilocybin infecting the grains that the Christians ate.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:14 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,331,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post
I think that I read something years ago about Psilocybin infecting the grains that the Christians ate.
Yes, you are right about something infecting the corn. I remember seeing a (PBS?) documentary some years ago where scientists conducted a number of tests, soil samples, weather info for that year, all sorts of stuff. Their research appeared to support the theory that the girls were likely hallucinating.

The reason the Salem witch trials are so well-known is because they were highly unusual for the United States. Thousands were executed in Europe- between 40,000 and 100,000- compared to a much smaller number in the United States; just a few dozen, if memory serves me correctly.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:46 PM

to be exact about 20 people were convicted of witchcraft and were ultimately hung

Old 09-27-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
to be exact about 20 people were convicted of witchcraft and were ultimately hung
This is true, of the incident at Salem. It is not, however, the sum total of those accused and executed in the New World, which if you re-read my post, you will see was my reference. I believe the number was considerably less than 100 throughout the colonies.

I cannot find the reference material where I read the number and locations of those incidents in the U.S. I will keep looking.

Last edited by MICoastieMom; 09-27-2008 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-27-2008, 07:11 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,611,274 times
I think it was something effecting the rye grain that they used to make the bread.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 PM

Yes, I think at Salem it was in the grain- it was at another location where the corn was affected.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:22 PM

true could have been a possibility

Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 AM

444 posts, read 1,208,934 times
Mind if I ask a question? Does anyone know the religion of those in Salem being burned as witches, and that of those who did the burning of humans? I think the fear tactics of burning people as witches had alot to do with the conquering of a particular place by a particular people who rewrote history to steal the historic truth and write themselves in as heros. It was a way to damage the reputations of good people so that the evil ones could take over under false pretenses. A woman like me would have been drowned as "a free thinking woman" long ago, simply for pointing out the truth !
Have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History