U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:10 PM

199 posts, read 372,980 times

Advertisements

I'd like to go to the period just before the historic record begins, when villages are starting become geo-political units and the first glimpses of agriculture is taking hold, and just show off. "Yeah, nice, right? We're going to call it indoor plumbing, so more more s***ing where you sleep. It'll be all the rage!"

Little bit of a Bruce Campbell complex to overcome, but I could pull it off. Just me and my boom-stick, in case anyone has any difficult 'questions'. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM

15,442 posts, read 16,790,874 times
I loved the innocence of the 70's and my college years in the 80's. If I could revisit and live it all over again. I would.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:36 PM

5,510 posts, read 5,009,363 times
I would like to travel back in time so I could bump into the late Mexican singer Selena (heavy emphasis on Selena & bump )!!!!

Old 08-12-2013, 01:18 PM

454 posts, read 659,272 times
hmmm... several choices

Late 1600's in New England as a Pilgrim girl... i love old N/E cemeteries and often wonder who those interred there were... what their lives were like.

During Christ's time on earth... would be a privilege to hear him speak.

Egypt during the Pharaohs' reigns.... munching a honey cake, walking along the Nile watching the barges drift down the river... and surrounded by cats (which i am now and which were considered sacred then)

Old 08-12-2013, 01:50 PM

12,760 posts, read 8,388,375 times
Interesting question.

Right off the top of my head, I'd like to go back to when Neanderthals were alive, to see how/if they were really different from modern humans (finding out what happened to them would be a plus).

Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,443,076 times
1920, and before I'd go I'd buy lots of old US currency to take with me, so I'd have plenty of money for train fare. That way I could travel all over and see what the country was like before everything got wrecked by over development.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 08-12-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,673,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYisontop View Post
I'd like to go to the period just before the historic record begins, when villages are starting become geo-political units and the first glimpses of agriculture is taking hold, and just show off. "Yeah, nice, right? We're going to call it indoor plumbing, so more more s***ing where you sleep. It'll be all the rage!"

Little bit of a Bruce Campbell complex to overcome, but I could pull it off. Just me and my boom-stick, in case anyone has any difficult 'questions'. :-)
I'd like to try that, but no indoor plumbing and no boasting. I'd like to see the intricate ties that first came that made us social beings. I'd like to experience that intense connection with nature and survival. I think after that that perhaps I wouldn't want to come back to this world.

I'd like the see the land we live on as it was before people changed it, as Lewis and Clarke saw it too.

Now, if your time trip came as a person in some future time when time machines could be, and we look primitive, what if you end up stuck there forever? Do you adjust and embrase the world, and deal or do you mourn forever?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:23 PM

19,726 posts, read 13,128,640 times
I don't have many fantasies, but the one I do have is to be able to return to the period I grew up in.....late 50's, early 60's. One reason is that I really enjoyed that era, it was so innocent and simple. The other reason is that I would buy up every $25.00 old car I could and store it away and bring it back with me. I am a car nut and I remember all the neat old cars we thought nothing of but that are worth a fortune today. If I had kept some of the many I owned I wouldn't have had to work again in my life.

But if I went back with a pocket full of 2013 currency I imagine I would have a hard time buying cars with it. So there goes that idea down the drain.

Don

Old 08-12-2013, 03:43 PM

8,874 posts, read 14,372,650 times
Unless I were assured of being rich, I wouldn't want to go very far back in time. It's lousy enough being poor in modern times. I can't imagine the hardships the poor endured before things like clean water, central heating, and modern transportation existed. Probably the best time to be an average American was during the early sixties. Plenty of jobs, lots of hope and growth, exciting possibilities in travel and entertainment, growing opportunities of minority groups and women.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,584,601 times
I'd go back to 1976 because that's when I met my first boyfriend. We were a good couple for nearly two years. Man, he was cute - and sweet. Too bad we were too young for marriage. We each had to experience more of life - and with different people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or