U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,865,325 times

Advertisements

I have primarily two times I'd like to go back to just to get some questions answered. I do genealogy, and I have one ancestor I'd love to go back to the time of her birth (1850 in Brooklyn) ... and figure out who the heck her parents were! The second question I'd love answered is, who was Jack the Ripper. As long as I was in no danger, and didn't have to stay in that time and location long!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 05:48 PM

341 posts, read 448,352 times
The 1960's. Sixties era culture, music, everything, was perfect.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:08 PM

48,025 posts, read 20,216,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Everything?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 PM

103 posts, read 141,561 times
Two periods: the Summer of Love (1967) in Haight-Ashbury. I was actually alive then but just out of diapers, LOL

I want to see Jim Morrison up close on stage at the height of his sexiness...

The other period would be in the late 1800s on the prairie. I think I had a lifetime then. I loved "Little House on the Prairie."

Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 PM

17,444 posts, read 25,209,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Problem is, if you were male and the right age for this

You were also the right age for this

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 PM

7,129 posts, read 4,392,868 times
There are many things I'd love to do, especially warn people in my family about certain health problems. But, it would be so complex that I'd hardly know where to start.

I hope I can come back for other time trips, but here's one that might seem very foolish:

I'd go back to April 17, 1941, in London to tell Al Bowlly to stay with his friends that night as they had invited and not go back to his apartment. It would be a small change in some ways, but maybe his ensuing increased fame would have affected the careers of others. All it would take is convincing him to not go home.

I understand about going back to the Fifties and Sixties. I'd relive the first two decades of my life in an instant. I was a serious child who was aware of the bad in the world as much as the good; I'm not looking at it through rose-colored glasses. If an adult me could step in along the way, maybe I could fix things so that my father wasn't blinded in one eye or didn't die at 47; that my mother wouldn't undergo all that she did and what she has dealt with every day for 40 years. But then, I get caught up in going back further to warn them about the near-fatal car wreck (for my mother) when they were on a date; a drunk driver pulled out in front of them. I'd want to stop that, too. I'd do everything I could to break up my sister and the man who became her first husband; he knew I hated him~because I could see through him. Could changes mess things up in different ways? (See? Others overthink it, too.)

I actually think about the changing-history thing when I'm trying to fall asleep: what I would try to change, things to avoid that meant such dire things to our health and financial well-being; how different things could have been for all of us.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 PM

733 posts, read 797,640 times
1491 Timbisha country, be nice to see how my ancestors lived prior to colonization, perhaps experience a little bit.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 PM

733 posts, read 797,640 times
And I don't think I'll make any efforts to change that past, that can have some crazy outcomes.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Status: "Trump - excepting Jorgensen, the least of multiple evils" (set 8 days ago)

13,774 posts, read 8,471,438 times
My choice would be the years 1939-1941, a short time of relative stability between Depression and Global War; this is also in part because my personal interests revolve around economics and technology, particularly freight transportation. In those years, the great rail systems (there were about thirty in North America back then, vs. seven today) still dominated, and with steam power, something of which I got only a small taste as a child in the Fifties.

Oh, to be free to do about three months of exploring in those times!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 AM

2,594 posts, read 3,739,576 times
I have always wanted to lead a horde of plant eating dinosaurs against an army of T-rexes while riding on the back of a triceratops while holding a club made out of a giant leg bone affixed with raptor claws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or