U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 AM

447 posts, read 627,497 times

Advertisements

I would go back to 480 BC at the battle of Thermopylae and find out just why the 300 Spartans really did stay and fight. Ron
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM

199 posts, read 372,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383man View Post
I would go back to 480 BC at the battle of Thermopylae and find out just why the 300 Spartans really did stay and fight. Ron
I think you may have found a few more Spartans, and many more non-Spartans.

Approximately 4 000 - 7 000 Greeks marched to Thermopylae and battled the Persian army for days. Estimates between 1 200 and 2 000 remained with the rear guard under King Leonidas I of Sparta - Herodotus' count is the most accepted with 300 heavily-armored Spartan hoplites, 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans, and a few hundred others. Ephorus, Simonides, Justin and Diodorus (whose accounts survive, they reference other historians whose accounts have not) have different numbers, but all report more than just 300 Spartans, which is a universally-held number in each history. I find Herodotus' numbers fairly safe, as we have surviving critiques of his account, mostly on account of Thebes and Athens' role as champion of Greek independence, and little on the size of the army at Thermopylae.

King Leonidas ordered the rest of the force to retreat when the Persian Immortals (or Companions, as they were called in Persian) had reportedly found a mountain pass to flank the army, according to Herodotus. Ephorus reports that the Greeks were with good information that Xerxes could be killed in his tent if taken unaware, and Leonidas may have made a surprise attack and failed, the rest of the Greeks learning of its failure and retreating. In most versions, Leonidas had sent recruiters to the Greek countryside to rally citizens to the Greek cause, but the Olympic games were just finishing and most Greek men were away to participate or do business there, so he received no reinforcements in time.

The Corinthian Council ordered the Greeks to meet the Persian at the pass, while the Athenian-led navy would engage the Persian navy and supply chain. It was tactically imperative that the Greeks hold the Persians there as long as possible, while the better half or two-thirds of the army lived to fight another day.

Heroic, yes, but also simply the best possible strategic decision in retrospect. Perhaps not strategic but by good fortune (for the Greeks, not the defenders at Thermopylae of course) - there is a theory that the Oracle may have foretold the fall of Sparta or of a Spartan king. Leonidas, presumably as reverent to fate and oracles as many Greeks were, may have felt his sacrifice was foretold, and falling at Thermopylae could save Sparta a similar fate.

Interestingly King Leonidas' body was sought after the battle and crucified by Xerxes - the Persian commanders made a point to mutilate the bodies of defeated enemies, using fear to its fullest. Yet when we think of crucifixion today we invariably think of Christianity and the Roman practice. Next time you see a crucifix or cross around someone's neck, give good King Leonidas a passing thought or two, would ya?

Last edited by NYisontop; 08-13-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 PM

12,770 posts, read 10,378,640 times
1950's

Old 08-13-2013, 03:16 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,673,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
There are many things I'd love to do, especially warn people in my family about certain health problems. But, it would be so complex that I'd hardly know where to start.

I hope I can come back for other time trips, but here's one that might seem very foolish:

I'd go back to April 17, 1941, in London to tell Al Bowlly to stay with his friends that night as they had invited and not go back to his apartment. It would be a small change in some ways, but maybe his ensuing increased fame would have affected the careers of others. All it would take is convincing him to not go home.

I understand about going back to the Fifties and Sixties. I'd relive the first two decades of my life in an instant. I was a serious child who was aware of the bad in the world as much as the good; I'm not looking at it through rose-colored glasses. If an adult me could step in along the way, maybe I could fix things so that my father wasn't blinded in one eye or didn't die at 47; that my mother wouldn't undergo all that she did and what she has dealt with every day for 40 years. But then, I get caught up in going back further to warn them about the near-fatal car wreck (for my mother) when they were on a date; a drunk driver pulled out in front of them. I'd want to stop that, too. I'd do everything I could to break up my sister and the man who became her first husband; he knew I hated him~because I could see through him. Could changes mess things up in different ways? (See? Others overthink it, too.)

I actually think about the changing-history thing when I'm trying to fall asleep: what I would try to change, things to avoid that meant such dire things to our health and financial well-being; how different things could have been for all of us.
I remember the sixties like a photo album, with a huge series of pictures. I can look at the pictures in my head and remember the moment, all he details, but not the emotion. I'd like to go back during a few of those pictures and feel the moment. But just the moment.

I don't know how many people have a 'snapshot' memory but that is how I see the past, like someone with a camera in my head followed me around and took pictures. Some good, some bad, some wonderful some terrible. So I'd cherry pick. The sixties had a dynamic unlike other times and I still remember the feel of it and of the fifties, but understand these are subjective things. I try to seperate my history related knowledge from that of a kid growing up in the suburbs thinking until Cuba that the world was safe.

The whole idea of changing history is fascinating to me, and I play it in Star Trek, where the Dominion war started early, and before the Feds were ready, or in the end they lost it. I like playing it out in the lives of specific persons. The thing which you always have to take into account is that small changes can yeild greater ones, and sometimes the greatest joys in your life ultimately came from great sorrows. So if you lose the sorrow you lose the joy.

It's this intricate interwoven web, like an over the top celtic design and everything around your spot in it exerted some effect. Maybe good or bad or not noticed, but the end result could be the opposite. I once wanted to do a script game. You got born, and slowly grew up. There would be questions like you are walking down the street, either turning the corner or going straight. Which do you choose? The result the game doesn't tell you is a random encounter which comes to have huge effect if you have it. If you don't you'll never be aware of what you missed.

If the ideas derived from string theory apply, then there are multiple realities and all of the options come true, for good or bad, on one of them.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 PM

2,002 posts, read 1,588,555 times
Default A way back machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Thought the history forum would be the category for this. Maybe, this has been asked before but
if you were able to go back in time, where would you like to go and what would you like to see.
Speaking for myself, I would want to go back to the;
Roman Empire (many locations as well as every day life of the people who lived in the cities)
Ancient Egypt during the time of Ramsesses II & see the Great Pyramids, Temple of Luxor, etc.
Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago
The three ages of the dinosaurs (Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous Periods)
I thought about this too but as usual spoiled it. You couldn't really interact, and that goes for breathing the same air. Think about the diseases that were present. But cool idea.

But after meeting some of my girlfriends from yesterday and what they look like today, gimme a glimpse of the future every time.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:03 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,464,068 times
I'd go back to 1995 and buy stock in Amazon, ebay, Google, Apple, Marvel Comics and Samsung. I'd also bring my Sports almanac of the past 20 years with me and gamble on sports a la Biff from Back to the Future II.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 AM

5,722 posts, read 4,850,823 times
I might go back to July 2, 1881, at the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Station in the extremely early morning.

I would carry a gun and a photo of Charles Guiteau back in time with me

Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 AM

5,722 posts, read 4,850,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'd go back to 1995 and buy stock in Amazon, ebay, Google, Apple, Marvel Comics and Samsung. I'd also bring my Sports almanac of the past 20 years with me and gamble on sports a la Biff from Back to the Future II.
If doing things which will dramatically alter my wealth is allowed for this, then I might do something similar to what you want to do as well.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 PM

4,944 posts, read 6,476,000 times
I would go back to medieval Europe, not during the plague, of course. Probably France or Italy.

Eygpt during the building of the pyramids.

During the time of Christ.

America when it was first discovered. I believe it was a paradise.

the south in America prior to the civil war for genealogy purposes.

the American west in the first decade of the the 1800's.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 AM

14,597 posts, read 20,408,417 times
I think I would like to go back to the 1940's . I loved the fashion and the fact that men were men back then and very honorable . Food was better and life was easier except for the war . My grandfathers brother was killed at pearl harbor . I also heard my grandmother say that her friends brother was killed and she had to see the telegram get delivered to tell his parents that he had been killed . She was sweeping her mothers porch . I would like to go back and see my grandmother as a teenage girl .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or