U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,025 posts, read 20,216,444 times
Reputation: 20662

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I might go back to July 2, 1881, at the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Station in the extremely early morning.

I would carry a gun and a photo of Charles Guiteau back in time with me
Then what? You shoot Guiteau before he can shoot President Garfield...and...

Garfield goes on to make the future far better that it would have been?

And what happens after you gun down Guiteau and the police come to arrest you? Do you tell them that you are a time traveler and know that had you not acted, Guiteau would have assassinated the president? You prove that you aren't just a normal murderer....how?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2013, 12:52 PM
 
28,900 posts, read 48,685,833 times
Reputation: 46235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Then what? You shoot Guiteau before he can shoot President Garfield...and...

Garfield goes on to make the future far better that it would have been?

And what happens after you gun down Guiteau and the police come to arrest you? Do you tell them that you are a time traveler and know that had you not acted, Guiteau would have assassinated the president? You prove that you aren't just a normal murderer....how?
Well, if he were a time traveler, he'd simply teleport back out again after giving Guiteau a double tap to the head.

Of course, then he'd arrive back to an altered future. Although considering that Chester A. Arthur was the Veep at the time, I'm not sure the world would have changed all that much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Buxton UK
4,970 posts, read 4,867,260 times
Reputation: 2383
2006 - so I could undo the mistakes I've made since.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,025 posts, read 20,216,444 times
Reputation: 20662
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, if he were a time traveler, he'd simply teleport back out again after giving Guiteau a double tap to the head.

Of course, then he'd arrive back to an altered future. Although considering that Chester A. Arthur was the Veep at the time, I'm not sure the world would have changed all that much.
Ah, but to change one thing is to change everything. You would return to the present time and discover that your actions have prevented your own birth, which means you were never born to travel back in time and shoot Guiteau which means....next thing you know you've got a typical STNG time conundrum episode on your hands.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,673,187 times
Reputation: 16866
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, if he were a time traveler, he'd simply teleport back out again after giving Guiteau a double tap to the head.

Of course, then he'd arrive back to an altered future. Although considering that Chester A. Arthur was the Veep at the time, I'm not sure the world would have changed all that much.
And he would know there had been a change. Nobody else would. Their timeline would have been altered at the time the shot was fired and those alive today would have no idea anything had been altered.

Normal theory would say that the shooting would create a second timestream and the origional one would still continue and they would be parallel realities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,410 posts, read 18,677,779 times
Reputation: 18531
I like CPG's Powerball idea. Aside from that, some places I'd like to see in real time:

I'd be curious to go back to the Jurassic period and see some real life dinosaurs, provided I can do so from the relative safety just outside the capsule.

I wouldn't mind going back to the early sixties to see each of my parents as young adults, from a safe distance of course.

I would like to go back to September 10th 2001 and warn the FBI of the carnage that will take place the day after.

I'd go back to watch some of the greatest athletes in action...Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Sugar Ray Robinson, Jack Dempsey, Willie Mays, Jim Brown, Dick Butkus, to name a few.

I'd want to go back to late 1950's and early-mid 60's NYC, check out the beat scene, watch live doo-wop groups sing in harmony on the street corners and small venues, see Elvis, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Sinatra in concert, check out the World Fair, the Vegas strip and Rat Pack, dip into the late 60's and check out the hippy scene at Haight-Ashbury, Woodstock, Monterey Pop, and drive Route 66 cross country from Chicago to California.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,673,187 times
Reputation: 16866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Ah, but to change one thing is to change everything. You would return to the present time and discover that your actions have prevented your own birth, which means you were never born to travel back in time and shoot Guiteau which means....next thing you know you've got a typical STNG time conundrum episode on your hands.
Good one. Or, there is a different you already there in that time stream.

And people often don't think of how interconnected everything is in time. A little change can become massive. And maybe worse than you can imagine. I love how the tng episodes actually USED the customary science fiction givens which interestingly are very close to the ideas growing out of string theory.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
 
2,759 posts, read 3,584,601 times
Reputation: 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
2006 - so I could undo the mistakes I've made since.
1990, for the above reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,722 posts, read 4,850,823 times
Reputation: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
1. Then what? You shoot Guiteau before he can shoot President Garfield...and...

2. Garfield goes on to make the future far better that it would have been?

3. And what happens after you gun down Guiteau and the police come to arrest you? Do you tell them that you are a time traveler and know that had you not acted, Guiteau would have assassinated the president? You prove that you aren't just a normal murderer....how?
1. Yes.

2. Possibly, if him not being assassinated means that Adolf Hitler is never conceived, the Holocaust never occurs, et cetera due to the butterfly effect.

3. Simple--I would simply time-travel several hundred years into the future before the police get me. I am also flirting with the idea of saying that I will help Guiteau get that appointment to France if he loudly screamed that he wants to kill Garfield several seconds before shooting Garfield. I will then quickly take my gun out and shoot Guiteau multiple times within these several seconds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,722 posts, read 4,850,823 times
Reputation: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
And he would know there had been a change. Nobody else would. Their timeline would have been altered at the time the shot was fired and those alive today would have no idea anything had been altered.

Normal theory would say that the shooting would create a second timestream and the origional one would still continue and they would be parallel realities.
Yes, exactly. My existence would not be affected since I would have been born in a parallel universe relative to the one where I would be after going "back" in time and killing Guiteau (in time).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top