U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM

8,776 posts, read 10,356,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I might go back to July 2, 1881, at the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Station in the extremely early morning.

I would carry a gun and a photo of Charles Guiteau back in time with me
I wouldn't mind going back to that as well because of a 'strange' story of one of my gr grandfather's sons. He fought in the Civil War and, for whatever reason, felt that the gov't owed him more money. He went to Washington, DC to look into it. On July 2, 1881 he was shot in the head and later died at the Asylum hospital. I've never known exactly why he was shot but have often wondered if he was anywhere in the vicinity of Garfield's shooting. Some say he committed suicide...why? Who knows. I wish there were some way to get 'the real story' about him and what happened.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 03:02 PM

5,722 posts, read 4,850,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I wouldn't mind going back to that as well because of a 'strange' story of one of my gr grandfather's sons. He fought in the Civil War and, for whatever reason, felt that the gov't owed him more money. He went to Washington, DC to look into it. On July 2, 1881 he was shot in the head and later died at the Asylum hospital. I've never known exactly why he was shot but have often wondered if he was anywhere in the vicinity of Garfield's shooting. Some say he committed suicide...why? Who knows. I wish there were some way to get 'the real story' about him and what happened.
I seriously doubt that Guiteau shot him, since Guiteau only fired two bullets (one of which went inside Garfield, and the other one hit Garfield in the shoulder area before flying beyond Garfield).

I'm extremely sorry about what happened to your great-uncle. How about we both go back in time to July 2, 1881 together, and you will focus on seeing what happened to your great-uncle while I simultaneously save Garfield's life?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:26 PM

28,900 posts, read 48,685,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Ah, but to change one thing is to change everything. You would return to the present time and discover that your actions have prevented your own birth, which means you were never born to travel back in time and shoot Guiteau which means....next thing you know you've got a typical STNG time conundrum episode on your hands.
Unless of course we were in multiple universes. I just contend that Chester A. Arthur would not have changed the course of history all that much.

Now if, on the other hand, somebody had gunned down Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Churchill or Roosevelt, the world would be radically different today in a host of ways.

Also, if we were to shoot anyone, I favor Richard Harris before he walked into the studio to record "MacArthur Park."

Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,673,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
If I could go back and be assured I could come home with home unchanged, which isn't the case generally, I'd go back and check up on my two great grandmothers. One was said to have had an English second husband after the first was killed. That would be my grandfather. He was very tall and my grandmother was almost six foot and the rest of the family really really short, including her Irish husband. She was only four ten. And all the census lists them as seperate fathers, but the info I find only shows the first. I still believe my grandmother and mother.

The other thing is dad's mother's dad was an Irish office worker in a small town in the south. Then he left one morning and never came home. Others searched for him but his wife was composed and calm, as if nothing was wrong. She had to have known why he left and where he left and been okay with it, but no trace of him was located and she never said.

I'd have to be assured that someone had done a quick lookie loo and was still here just as they were first....

Might find something by digging on the second Mr. Smith (yes, both were named Smith) but the other mystery was taken to the grave.

I want to do the dna testing and see if any cousins who don't seem to have a place on the family tree show up. Second best thing to time travel.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 PM

3,667 posts, read 6,681,027 times
I'd love to go back to Victorian then Edwardian Period then right on into the roaring twenties. The cultural change was astounding then and to witness it! Cool stuff.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,673,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yes, exactly. My existence would not be affected since I would have been born in a parallel universe relative to the one where I would be after going "back" in time and killing Guiteau (in time).
If there is one time stream, it would be different since the killing would make a large enough difference. It might not be earthshaking, but would make a difference. The changed events might have drastically altered your life as well, and you might find yourself in a place which was not so good at all. Even little decisions might make very big differences.

If there are parallel streams, you still might find a difference if you didn't return at the exact time and place you left. The actions you'd make in that timeframe wouldn't be, and it could have a little to a large effect. If you found things different you might not even be sure why. It could also effect your future life in ways you couldn't know since the time hadn't come.

(unless you slipped into an entrophy time stream and there really was no time, just randome events percieved as occuring in an order)Refer to DS9 and the wormhole prophits or Vonneguts book about the bombing of Dresdon)

But if there are two, you went and eliminated a shooter in one, but ONLY one. Yours remained unchanged in that timestream. If so, what is the point?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 PM

108 posts, read 182,567 times
1775 America.

The start of the revolution. I'd have by Brown Bess musket and I would have given the redcoats hell.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,439,489 times
To go back in time as an observer would be one thing, but to try to change the course of history, whether your own personal history, or a world-wide event would be thought-provoking. There would surely be ethical, and possibly moral issues to deal with in changing events in the past. Rod Serling touched on the subject in an episode once. Scientists developed time travel, and sent a woman back to pose as a nanny to be hired by Hitler's parents to take care of Hitler as an infant. After winning the confidence of the parents she was to murder the infant Hitler, and save the world from his atrocities. In the end, she could not bring herself to murder the innocent child, claiming that she could lead him in a different direction in life simply with love, and kindness.
My wife and I have talked countless times about events in our life that if one tiny thing had been different, we wouldn't be sitting talking about things such as that. Matter of fact, there would be a good possibility we would never had met, and for us, that would be tragic. I suppose if I could go back in time, simply as an observer, I would like to see events that were special to me. I would like to see my wife as a child, and see what her life was like, then. I would like to see my children when they were small, and innocent, learning about life. I would go back, and see my Grandpas, on both sides of my family. They both died while I was very small, and I didn't get to spend much time with them. Those are the things that matter to me. All the historical events are interesting, but in the end, do they really impact my life on a day to day basis? Not in my opinion. And, as far as amassing a fortune, I worry if I were to go back, and do something to make myself financially better off now, I might send my life in a different direction, and then, would never meet my wife, my reason for living. I guess, being a simple man, it's more the simple things that I would be interested in. I suppose everything in life happens for a reason.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM

12,221 posts, read 21,926,473 times
I would like to follow my blood line all the way back to the days of the ameba's.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 PM

5,722 posts, read 4,850,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But if there are two, you went and eliminated a shooter in one, but ONLY one. Yours remained unchanged in that timestream. If so, what is the point?
Well, I'd finally be able to permanently live in that other timestream if I wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or