Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 04:25 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times

Advertisements

I wondered if other places had these man made structures ... as it says Scotland Ireland and Wales.. Im sure many people would have had these.. is typically a partially or entirely artificial island, usually built in lakes, rivers and estuarine waters of Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. Unlike the prehistoric pile dwellings around the Alps that were built on the shores and were inundated only later on, crannogs were built in the water, thus forming artificial islands. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crannog
Many Scottish lochs are littered with small, tree-filled islands, poking their heads up just above the waterline. What most people don't realise is that they are often man-made islands, and once contained spectacular Iron Age dwellings. Thatched, timber roundhouses were supported on huge, wooden piles driven deep into the bed of the loch. The surrounding water was the inhabitants' defence.

There are over 600 recognised crannogs in Scotland. Some, such as Eilean Dòmhnuill in Loch Olabhat on North Uist, are believed to date back to Neolithic times. More commonly crannogs typically date to the Iron Age.

Crannogs were probably the centres of prosperous Iron Age farms, where people lived in an easily-defended location to protect themselves and their livestock from passing raiders.

The settlement would have consisted of a farm house, with cattle and crops being tended in nearby fields, and sheep on hill pastures. Local woodlands would have serviced the home with fruit, hazelnuts, wild cabbage and medicines, as well as with wild boar and other woodland animals suitable for hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 01:38 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
Yes they are intriguing constructs. I wonder though just how much work they would have taken to assemble. Is it something that would require several generations to build? Just how did they drive those large wooden piles into the lake bottom? Perhaps an experiment is needed to see if we can reproduce the methods?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Yes they are intriguing constructs. I wonder though just how much work they would have taken to assemble. Is it something that would require several generations to build? Just how did they drive those large wooden piles into the lake bottom? Perhaps an experiment is needed to see if we can reproduce the methods?
some of the poles can be seen in rivers and lochs all over Scotland to this day rj.. they are all now recontructions as only the poles into the sea are left.. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/1280...39325/?lp=true

Old 03-01-2019, 09:43 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,271 times
I visited a reconstructed Crannog in Ireland in 2004. I can probably find some pictures to post. It was set up on a small Island with several structures including a large hut.

My impression at the time is that it would be very labor intensive to make and to justify the time and energy would be difficult.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I visited a reconstructed Crannog in Ireland in 2004. I can probably find some pictures to post. It was set up on a small Island with several structures including a large hut.

My impression at the time is that it would be very labor intensive to make and to justify the time and energy would be difficult.
would love to see the photos , where in Ireland was this , Id love to have seen them...

Old 03-02-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:

It would have been ... but maybe it gave them a sense of safety like a small castle in a way..

Old 03-02-2019, 01:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
would love to see the photos , where in Ireland was this , Id love to have seen them...
Ok, here you are (note, I have never been very good with getting pics into City Data). These are from a trip I took to Ireland in 2004.

and finally,

Old 03-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, here you are (note, I have never been very good with getting pics into City Data). These are from a trip I took to Ireland in 2004.

and finally,
beauties where exactly are they ..

Old 03-02-2019, 06:49 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Very interesting, thanks for posting. They are beautiful....

Old 03-03-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting. They are beautiful....
they are actually quite beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History