Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,594,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Thanks travric. I have got to see this movie.
You will not be disappointed f.2. Time well spent!....;-)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,675,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post

I guess those who frequent the History board are geared more toward the most accurate type of history film. I can dig it. But some great history films have more inaccuracies, and trying to draw the line between popularity or major star attraction and having only a set amount of just plain wrong information, is not attainable, imho, and ymmv.
That is very true. A film can be a great film , from the cinematic standpoint, while portraying badly a historic event,or it can very faithfully reflect a historical time or event while not being a very good film. Rarely, both, but otherwise, one has to choose which quality is more important in calling something a "great historical film" -- whether 'great' or 'historical' is the operative modifier of 'film'..

By the way, I think we are all interpreting (correctly) the topic to be "historical", rather than "historic" films. "Birth of a Nation" and "Battleship Potempkin" are Historic films (the film itself is a historic event). "Red Badge of Courage" and "Ran" are Historical films, in which a historical event or era is the topic that they are about.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,006,151 times
1963 was an interesting year in that it produced two films with polar opposite viewpoints about America's foreign affairs.

One was "55 Days At Peking" which told the story of the heroic survival struggle of the foreign diplomats in China during the Boxer Rebellion at the start of the 20th Century. Our point of view is entirely that of the Americans and Europeans and their eventual triumph, after much slaughter of the Chinese rebels, is supposed to make us leave the theater feeling good about ourselves. When I first saw it as a 13 year old, that is exactly how I accepted it....heroic westerners prevail over evil Chinese fanatics. It wasn't until I was older and began reading the history of the exploitation of China that I came to realize that the film had us rooting for the oppressors and against the freedom fighters.

The other was precisely the opposite..."The Ugly American" which was about how western cultures fool themselves into thinking that they have won the hearts and minds of third world nations which they are dominating because of the benefits which they bestow upon the government or population. The dramatic moment takes place when the American ambassador is "betrayed" by a native with whom he had been very close and was thought by him to be an enthusiast for the western hegemony. It turns out that all along the native's agenda was freedom for his nation and the distinction between capitalist or communist was subordinate to those desires.

Both were well executed films, I thought it interesting that the same year could produce one film rooted in the old style "white man's burden" view of western imperialism, and another which exposed the hypocrisy and naivete at the core of that view.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,091,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
By the way, I think we are all interpreting (correctly) the topic to be "historical", rather than "historic" films. "Birth of a Nation" and "Battleship Potempkin" are Historic films (the film itself is a historic event). "Red Badge of Courage" and "Ran" are Historical films, in which a historical event or era is the topic that they are about.
I have Birth of a Nation and am waiting for a lull to watch it. Saw Battleship Potempkin, man, an unreal movie. I know life aboard ship and have an inkling as to what those sailors were going through. Loved it. The carriage montage down the steps was captivating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
1963 was an interesting year in that it produced two films with polar opposite viewpoints about America's foreign affairs.

One was "55 Days At Peking" which told the story of the heroic survival struggle of the foreign diplomats in China during the Boxer Rebellion at the start of the 20th Century. Our point of view is entirely that of the Americans and Europeans and their eventual triumph, after much slaughter of the Chinese rebels, is supposed to make us leave the theater feeling good about ourselves. When I first saw it as a 13 year old, that is exactly how I accepted it....heroic westerners prevail over evil Chinese fanatics. It wasn't until I was older and began reading the history of the exploitation of China that I came to realize that the film had us rooting for the oppressors and against the freedom fighters.

The other was precisely the opposite..."The Ugly American" which was about how western cultures fool themselves into thinking that they have won the hearts and minds of third world nations which they are dominating because of the benefits which they bestow upon the government or population. The dramatic moment takes place when the American ambassador is "betrayed" by a native with whom he had been very close and was thought by him to be an enthusiast for the western hegemony. It turns out that all along the native's agenda was freedom for his nation and the distinction between capitalist or communist was subordinate to those desires.

Both were well executed films, I thought it interesting that the same year could produce one film rooted in the old style "white man's burden" view of western imperialism, and another which exposed the hypocrisy and naivete at the core of that view.
Like I said, keep them coming. You remind me of a gentleman who is a retired Major (U.S. Army) who I used to talk movies with at work (when I still worked there, that is). Almost everyday he'd come in and the first words out of his mouth was have you seen... Two more to add to my queue.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:01 PM

211 posts, read 372,241 times
Saving Private Ryan

Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I suspect that you will like it. And in case you get to wondering while watching it, the "Black Bottle" business was real. The films alters the chronology a bit, but the essential elements are intact. You'll understand when you watch. Also look for a delightful performance from Jill Bennett as Mrs Duberly, the wife of an ineffectual staff officer. John Gielgud is wonderful as the perpetually befuddled, but never ruffled, Lord Raglan.
Awesome film. I like the use of the editorial cartoon animations to sum up the public sentiment. And the ending... that's not my handwriting.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:59 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,594,969 times
I
Quote:
t wasn't until I was older and began reading the history of the exploitation of China that I came to realize that the film had us rooting for the oppressors and against the freedom fighters.
This reminded me of the film I watched yesterday which was 'Centurion'. The film shows the Roman experience of trying to subjugate the Picts who are 'barbarians' to the Romans up in the UK's desolate North. I thought the producers captured the essence of how the two cultures saw each other. It was an absolute fight to the death with no quarter given. The film was interesting though to me in that I did not feel there was a push to favor the viewer to one side or the other. The Romans argued 'duty and honor and 'Romanization'. The Picts argued utter freedom to simply be and left alone. Amazing how the themes of centuries past are still with us. Human nature hasn't changed.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 PM

725 posts, read 1,891,089 times
Amadeus

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Amadeus
Great choice. Love F. Murray Abraham as Salieri. And Elizabeth Berridge is hot as ever. She has an uncredited role in the Mel Gibson film Payback. Learn something new everyday.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Our main focus seems to be on war related films and it struck me that "Eight Men Out" is among the finest historical films I've seen.
just watched this. was the judge the first ever baseball commissioner? i was watching and saw game 9. i had to google the wiki article to see it was a best of 9 series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History