U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 AM

10,959 posts, read 7,028,659 times

Advertisements

What is YOUR favorite Hitsoric movie?

I'll start.

John has a long mustache. repet. John has a long mustache.

The Longest Day (1962), John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Richard Burton, Robert Mitchum, Eddit Albert, Sean Connery, Peter Lawford, Rod Steiger, Red Buttons, Mel Ferrer, Steve Forest, Roddy McDowell, Robert Ryan, George Segal, Robert Wagner, Arletty, etc.

Epic.

dot dot dot dash
Beethoven's Fifth.

Pluskat's lightbulb moment. You ever notice that the dog knows? It's a proven fact that animals can detect nature's changes before humans can, such as earthquakes, storms, (invasions?) etc. Pluskat's dog has the right idea in the beginning of this clip. This video doesen't show the English subtitles, but Pluskat asked his crew where's my dog. lol.

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 08-17-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 02:25 PM

35,171 posts, read 22,182,404 times
Casablanca (1942)

Casablanca (1942) HD trailer - YouTube

Schindler’s List (1993)

The Girl in Red - Schindler's List (3/9) Movie CLIP (1993) HD - YouTube

The Thin Red Line (1998)

The Thin Red Line - Trailer - (1998) - HQ - YouTube

Old 08-17-2013, 03:51 PM

15,592 posts, read 13,887,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
What is YOUR favorite Hitsoric movie?

I'll start.

John has a long mustache. repet. John has a long mustache.

The Longest Day (1962), John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Richard Burton, Robert Mitchum, Eddit Albert, Sean Connery, Peter Lawford, Rod Steiger, Red Buttons, Mel Ferrer, Steve Forest, Roddy McDowell, Robert Ryan, George Segal, Robert Wagner, Arletty, etc.

Epic.

dot dot dot dash
Beethoven's Fifth.

Pluskat's lightbulb moment. You ever notice that the dog knows? It's a proven fact that animals can detect nature's changes before humans can, such as earthquakes, storms, (invasions?) etc. Pluskat's dog has the right idea in the beginning of this clip. This video doesen't show the English subtitles, but Pluskat asked his crew where's my dog. lol.

The movie that helped save 20th century fox.
The Cleopatra Disaster

The heralded film Cleopatra made in 1963 was directed by Joseph L. Manklewcz and was filmed on location in Rome. This film starred Elizabeth Taylor as the Queen of Egypt, and her future husband Richard Burton as Marc Antony. This couple brought about more headlines with their romance than the film's budget problems. This movie proved to be a gargantuan financial disaster, leaving 20th Century fox drowning in debt up to their eye balls. Luckily 20th century fox was saved by two movies: The Longest Day made in 1963 and The Sound of Music made in 1965.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Casablanca (1942)

Schindler’s List (1993)

The Thin Red Line (1998)
I'm a Terrence Malick junkie and watch all of his movies. TTRL is right up there with his best work. Agree with Casablanca and Schindler's List also. All great historic movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
The movie that helped save 20th century fox.
The Cleopatra Disaster

The heralded film Cleopatra made in 1963 was directed by Joseph L. Manklewcz and was filmed on location in Rome. This film starred Elizabeth Taylor as the Queen of Egypt, and her future husband Richard Burton as Marc Antony. This couple brought about more headlines with their romance than the film's budget problems. This movie proved to be a gargantuan financial disaster, leaving 20th Century fox drowning in debt up to their eye balls. Luckily 20th century fox was saved by two movies: The Longest Day made in 1963 and The Sound of Music made in 1965.
Interesting info on 20thCF.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:23 PM

42,661 posts, read 77,698,159 times
"Gallipoli" is the first that comes to mind that would certainly go on my short list.

Maybe "Gandhi", for those that had wide first-run distribution in the USA.

Checking my list of films I gave high marks to in IMDB, I found only three historical titles:

"Something the Lord Made"

"Edvard Munch"

"Marat/Sade"

I'm excluding those that were fictional dramas that reflected an historical era. Considering those, I'd have to list things like:

"Karakter"

"Unberable Lightness of Being".

Last edited by jtur88; 08-17-2013 at 11:44 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 AM

27,241 posts, read 17,618,863 times
Right now, I'd have to say Lincoln. I thought it was very well done, and showed the people and times very well. It was unforgettable how Lincoln had a shawl around his shoulders during the winter. And the office seekers lined up outside his white house office was eye opening as well.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:31 AM

48,025 posts, read 20,216,444 times
Lawrence of Arabia

A Bridge Too Far

Alamo (The 2001 film)

Nicolas and Alexandria

Zulu

Midway

Schindler's List and Gandhi have already been mentioned.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Lawrence of Arabia

Turks?

Bedu.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:00 AM

13,510 posts, read 15,369,612 times
Films about the U.S. - Gone With the Wind or From Here to Eternity. Foreign films - probably the Japanese film Ran.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 AM

3,726 posts, read 5,526,781 times
Casablanca is a historical film? While this is one of my all time favorite films, have never, up until now, heard it mentioned in that manner. Also wondering if WWII works should be considered as historical films, since these events are relatively recent, within the living memory of many. If they are, perhaps my choice would be Tora! Tora! Tora!, by far the best of the Pearl Harbor films. As far as I have been able to determine, pretty accurate from a historical sense, unlike virtually all so called historical films coming out of Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or